PDA

View Full Version : removing concrete footings

turfmaster
06-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I removed an above ground pool and a surrounding deck for one of my lawn customers. There are 7 concrete footings for the deck that need to be removed before I fill the hole, grade and seed.

What's the easiest way to remove these. I am assuming they are at least 4ft.
deep?

Thanks

Steve
06-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Well I guess it would be nice if you had some way to pull them out if you had access to doing that.

If not that, maybe use a small air powered chisel and just break up the concrete and pull out the chunks?

picframer
06-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I removed an above ground pool and a surrounding deck for one of my lawn customers. There are 7 concrete footings for the deck that need to be removed before I fill the hole, grade and seed.

What's the easiest way to remove these. I am assuming they are at least 4ft.
deep?

Thanks

Mini excavator, super simple to do, big one hour per hole for time, might be worth your while to sub if you have never operated one.

turfmaster
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Mini excavator, super simple to do, big one hour per hole for time, might be worth your while to sub if you have never operated one.

Are you pushing the footing to loosen them up and then scooping them out Andy?

Is there a way to pull them straight out?

I'm thinking of renting a small Bobcat for this job because I need to move fill and top soil to the area where the pool was anyway.

Steve W
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Could you just bust them up with a jack hammer and cover them in the hole?

turfmaster
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm gonna talk to the homeowner and ask them if I can just bust off the first 6"
or so of the footings and then just cover them with top soil.
That would save them money and save me a lot of hassle.

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm gonna talk to the homeowner and ask them if I can just bust off the first 6"
or so of the footings and then just cover them with top soil.
That would save them money and save me a lot of hassle.

I think that would be a much easier and obviously less expensive method.

picframer
06-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Are you pushing the footing to loosen them up and then scooping them out Andy?

Is there a way to pull them straight out?

I'm thinking of renting a small Bobcat for this job because I need to move fill and top soil to the area where the pool was anyway.

It really depends on how they were built.

If they are round and poured in a sauna tube, take a bobcat or mini, wrap a 3/8" chain around the top and using the bucket on the bobcat or mini, pull them straight up. Now when I built decks I would pour a square 8" thick slab at the bottom, set the tube in this concrete before it set then fill the tube, in this case you need to dig around them, thus the one hour per footing quote.

If they are square I suspect they have a base in which case you will need to dig around them.

Now the cheapest way to do this is to dig on one side of the footing all the way down and puch the footing into the hole.

Not sure about there but the dump here will not accept construction materials, we have to haul to a demolition depot, they charge $125.00 a load so we hire The Junk Remover, I load it in their truck or dump trailer, they charge me a wholesale rate of $100.00, far better option for us, no idea what they do with the stuff they haul for us.

Andy