PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Burning Bush

swstout
06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
The "Boss" has the day off so I don't. She purchased a bunch of Dwarf Burning Bush shrubs and wants the driveway lined with them. She bought the same plant from 2 different suppliers. For hedge effect, supplier 1 says plant 2-3 feet apart; supplier 2 says 5-6 feet apart. Both say that they can be trimmed to a height of 4-5 feet.

Anybody have any experience with them. I suppose I can plant them at 3' and then transplant them later if I have to, but I would rather not (twice the planting and it is already 92 with 70% humidity). I have already planted 24 Pink Honeysuckle bushes (not the vine variety) along the front of the house this morning.

On the other hand, the faster I get it done the more time she will have to go and get something else. She has already spent $1,000 on landscaping plants.

Steve

turfmaster
06-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Because they are dwarfs I would plant them 3 ft apart especially if it's for a hedge effect. :)

swstout
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Because they are dwarfs I would plant them 3 ft apart especially if it's for a hedge effect. :)

Thanks Randy,

I'm putting them at 3'. Work a little, come in for a little, and then go back out. I'm keeping with my wife's AC schedule.

Steve

picframer
06-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I have a few of them I planted last year, 3 feet apart is what I went with.

ritchiem
06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
3' centers is what I would do. Burning bushes make a fantastic hedge as long as the rabbits don't girdle them...deer love them too. They are easy to prune in the spring.