PDA

View Full Version : Wide Mower/ Narrow Fence

andyjoneslawncare
06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi, I had a question for you vets. I have a 50" mower that doesn't fit through the gate of two of my client's yards, so I waste 20 minutes pushing my 22" toro with a missing belt on the self-propeller. I don't have enough accounts to buy a new $3k mower just for two yards. Has anyone ever suggested installing a wider fence, or do I charge more (one is a friend of mine so I don't want to charge too much, since I'm trying to help him out by mowing cheap) or are there any other solutions I haven't thought of? Is there something under 36" I should look into? Like I said, its only 2 yards now, but I find myself hesitant to take new accounts if I can't get through the fence, but I'm too broke to turn anything down now. One gate is a metal post with wire fence, the other is a wood fence, which would be easier to replace I'd imagine.

musician/lawnman
06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't take clients with small gates. Too time consuming & I don't even bother with having a walk behind on the trailer. I have a few clients that have small back yards that I can barely get my machines in & I have found I can line trim the entire area faster than fighting to get the machine in.
You gotta have a strong line trimmer though. I just bought the new Echo 265 Holy Hell, that thing is a monster! 26cc trimmer. I have installed a wider gate for one elderly client so that I could take the account. They paid for the materials & I altered the 6' wooden privacy fence to add a 5' gate.

andyjoneslawncare
06-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't take clients with small gates. Too time consuming & I don't even bother with having a walk behind on the trailer. I have a few clients that have small back yards that I can barely get my machines in & I have found I can line trim the entire area faster than fighting to get the machine in.
You gotta have a strong line trimmer though. I just bought the new Echo 265 Holy Hell, that thing is a monster! 26cc trimmer. I have installed a wider gate for one elderly client so that I could take the account. They paid for the materials & I altered the 6' wooden privacy fence to add a 5' gate.
So maybe offer to put in a wider gate for free if they pay for materials? I'd think a couple hours labor would be worth it to save the accounts, and I'd do it myself, so its not like I'd be paying any labor. I'm just not in a position to turn down accounts yet, but pushing a mower in 90 degree florida afternoons is no fun either. I could see if I was maxed out and the time spent pushing could be used making more money elsewhere, but it'd probably be spent at the beach, which is NOT where I should be when I'm trying to pay my bills! I usually swipe a few grapefruits off the trees when I'm done to make up for it anyway:)

ChrisandCathy
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
This thread is obviously getting revived from the dead, but I was thinking about this exact issue the other day. Literally 95% of the lawns in this area, both residential and business, have narrow gates. (Not exaggerating).

Steve
04-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Are these properties you want but are unsure of signing up because of the narrow gates?

What are you considering to do about it?

Al Kessinger
04-14-2012, 12:02 AM
you know i seen a commercial the other day for a self propelled push mower but it was like 30 or 33 inches wide not the 22 inches on a normal push mower but i cant remember what the name brand is. if i see it again ill revise the post

Hedgemaster
04-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Toro TimeMaster? (http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Walk-Power-Mowers/Pages/Series.aspx?sid=Timemaster)

I'm seeing mixed reviews. It's new, so all buyers are currently guinea pigs.

ChrisandCathy
04-15-2012, 01:33 AM
We just use smaller equipment. I hardly ever see people working with bigger mowers in the city** you really have to go out to the suburbs for that and we almost never go that far.

Al Kessinger
04-15-2012, 12:33 PM
We just use smaller equipment. I hardly ever see people working with bigger mowers in the city** you really have to go out to the suburbs for that and we almost never go that far.

In my area you would spend all day on one yard. There are several homes with fenced in yards that are close to an acre or even more i currently have a 36 in rider i can squeeze throgh the gate and mow no problem. Last year i didnt have a trailer and it about killed me and my wife mowwing 22 in at a time.

Fireman Gus
04-15-2012, 06:42 PM
When we run into this problem we talk to the people and suggest putting in a wider gate. We offer to do it for free if they buy the materials. We have had 100% agreement from people when we offer this. If they don't agree we tell them we cannot do their yard.

ChrisandCathy
04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I think it depends on the area... Nashville had a lot of larger fenced-in lawns. They are few and far between around here. We're not charging enough, ANYWHERE near enough, to make it worthwhile to install gates for people. I'll never be able to convince my brother to run that kind of business, but OTOH we have almost no overhead.

Al Kessinger
04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Majority of my work is forclosed homes so changong the fench and gate arangement is not an option neither is refusal to do the work because of a narrow gate. Id loose my contract.