PDA

View Full Version : New Mower....

doug1980
06-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Just bought a Toro Recycler from Home Depot. Of course online it says $279.00 but at the store it was $309.00 :mad: And I even looked at that stores website. Any way I get it home and pull my gts out for 1/2 an hour no start at all. Garanteed to start my a$$. So far not very impressed with this POS. :mad:

StartALawnCareBusiness
06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
You gotta put gas in it first. :p

doug1980
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Ha, I wish it was that simple. :) Not sure what the heck is wrong with it. I thought maybe it was bad gas, it is a bit old but works fine in the other mower. I did get fresh gas and replaced it but still nothing. It's flooded now though, spark plus was covered in fuel. So I'll let it sit for awhile and try again. Looking at the manual it says if it doesn't start after a few pulls call a service shop. I think I prefer the primer bulbs.

turfmaster
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to tell ya before Eli from Superior does.
Never ever by equipment from the big box stores ! :D

picframer
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Just bought a Toro Recycler from Home Depot. Of course online it says $279.00 but at the store it was $309.00 :mad: And I even looked at that stores website. Any way I get it home and pull my gts out for 1/2 an hour no start at all. Garanteed to start my a$$. So far not very impressed with this POS. :mad:

Won't comment on HD or the line they sell. Go to John Deere and try their JS25, best walk behind I have ever used, leaves amazing stripes, no choke yet these things start half way of the first pull.

XtreemGreen
06-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I bought a polan or a weedeater(cant think of the name) pusher about 5yrs ago and she still start's on the second pull...

doug1980
06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah I bought a poulan pro last year and all I have to do is prime it three times and it fires up. I took the Toro back and got the exact same one except this one has a primer...same price and everything. Fired up second pull. Now I just need to get more money and buy a nice 36" walk behind. :D

andyjoneslawncare
06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Considering its brand new, I'd say there's probably nothing wrong with it, just not put together right, loose wire, fuel line not connected, etc. They should've started it before it was sold though. I just wouldn't be too quick to put down the mower itself, it may start on the first pull for the next 20 years. Something simple like a piece of the styrofoam packing in the gas tank could keep it from starting. Point is though, when you buy something, you want it to work without troubleshooting for days. I bought a 50" cub cadet zrt there for $2999 2 years ago because I was broke and had their credit card. I love it, never a problem, and everyone thinks its such a great mower since its yellow and pretty. Good warranty,price, etc but not the expertise of a lawn equipment shop. I had the deck off once to change the blades and borrowed a friends $10k mower, and everyone asked where my "good" mower went, and why I was using that old ugly thing. I used to be embarrassed when other lawn guys were laughing at my "residential" mower, but if my clients percieve it as better than the "other guys" mower, I smile during every lap of the yard. Anyway, I'd assume you could just take it back and return it for a new one, and bring a gallon of gas with you!

SuperiorPower
06-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm going to tell ya before Eli from Superior does.
Never ever by equipment from the big box stores ! :D

Hahaha. you did beat me!

I have to agree, I highly recommend not buying lawn equipment from a Box Store if you expect it to work for any length of time in the Lawn Care industry.

doug1980
06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Hahaha. you did beat me!

I have to agree, I highly recommend not buying lawn equipment from a Box Store if you expect it to work for any length of time in the Lawn Care industry.

Can you tell me what brand engine is on the mower? I may be able to give you a heads up on what is wrong. Or even a couple photos would help.

It's a Briggs 6.5 hp.... Same engine that is on my Poulan. But I took that mower back nd got one that works. Only difference between the first one and second one is the first one did not have a primer bulb the second one does.
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/SANY0494.jpg
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/SANY0495.jpg

Steve W
06-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey Yall,
I got me a new(used) toy 2 days ago. I got a 2006 Great Dane 52'' Surfer
with a 19 Kawasaki. I am not sure about the hrs on it, But I checked it over and everything looks good. And for what I paid for it, ($300.00) I think I will be ok. It needed new blades and one of the front tires was flat. But thats all I have found so far. I have been using it 2 days now and I love it.
Has anybody else tried on of these?

turfmaster
06-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Hey Yall,
I got me a new(used) toy 2 days ago. I got a 2006 Great Dane 52'' Surfer
with a 19 Kawasaki. I am not sure about the hrs on it, But I checked it over and everything looks good. And for what I paid for it, ($300.00) I think I will be ok. It needed new blades and one of the front tires was flat. But thats all I have found so far. I have been using it 2 days now and I love it.
Has anybody else tried on of these?

I bought the same exact mower back in March. Mine was a brand new 2008.
I paid $3800.00 for it which was a steal.
I love this mower also. I have a Wright Stander also which I love however for the price difference of about $2,000 if I add another mower in the future I will be looking at the Great Dane or Everride.
Everride and Great Dane are the exact same machine.

How in the heck did you pick this thing up for $300.00 ? :)

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I would buy several of the Great Danes for $300 if I could..... As long as they are running that is.

Steve W
06-13-2009, 07:44 PM
How in the heck did you pick this thing up for $300.00 ?
I bought it from a home owner about 40 miles from where I live. He is
80 years old and now he says its time to find somebody to cut his lawn.
I love they way this thing runs and cuts.It makes it a lot easier to cut this big step ditch that one of my comm. clients has.

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Steve W, I believe you are guilty of the crime of Stealing. I need to contact your local law enforcement agency to point them your way!!!!:D

Good job though!!!:D I envy you... :rolleyes:

Eli

Steve W
06-14-2009, 12:14 AM
haha! Yeah I know its a good deal. I couldnt wait till I got it. I was like a lil kid on Christmas day.

turfmaster
06-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Once you get used to a Stander you will never want to use a walk behind again.
#1 ZTR
#2 Stander ztr
#3 Walk behind and only if I have to.

Of course that is the opinion of a 49 year old who has walked plenty over the years. ;)

Steve W
06-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Once you get used to a Stander you will never want to use a walk behind again.

ohhhh! it wont take long to get used to it. I promise:D

grassmowers08
06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
I have two of the toro consumer models same as yours. The engine will last forever you just have to be prepared to replace the transmission about every year. When my first one went down they charged me 120 dollars to replace the transmission. When my second one went down it was the same thing and I fixed it myself for 30 dollars.

Travis
Greg & Travis' Lawn Service

SuperiorPower
06-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Just so you guys know, the mower its self is the same thing as a Craftsman. And no, Craftsman does not make it, and neither does Toro. And I am really unimpressed with the quality. The tranny is cheap, throw away quality. If the tranny is not installed correctly with the parts adjusted correctly (I have done them before) your self propel will not work properly.

Good luck,
Eli

grassmowers08
06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I got a honda hrc216 and it is a champ. It mows right threw 2 feet of grass. The only problems is that is 130 pounds. I am so used to the consumer models. When I bought it the sellsman said that the only reason anybody ever bought them back in for warranty work was from abuse( falling off trucks, bent crankshaft, ect..) I had to work on my residential toro about every 4 to 5 months because something new went wrong.

Travis
Greg & Travis' Lawn Service