PDA

View Full Version : Tire Problems

swstout
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
After 12 days of heavy rain storms I got back to work today. First job was a Insect Guard Spray job. Had a flat tire on my sprayer after about 30 minutes. Went and got a new tub and had it fixed. Shortly after I started again the other tire went flat.

These are 2 of the 4 flats I have had this season. My question, I was looking at solid rubber tires for replacements. A local shop, "The Lawnmower shop" carries them in just about every size. While there I bought a refurbished 25 gallon Fimco LG 2500 sprayer. It had the solid rubber tires on it.

Has anyone else switched and is there any advantage having the pneumatic tires over the solid rubber tires.

Steve

turfmaster
06-12-2009, 12:19 AM
After 12 days of heavy rain storms I got back to work today. First job was a Insect Guard Spray job. Had a flat tire on my sprayer after about 30 minutes. Went and got a new tub and had it fixed. Shortly after I started again the other tire went flat.

These are 2 of the 4 flats I have had this season. My question, I was looking at solid rubber tires for replacements. A local shop, "The Lawnmower shop" carries them in just about every size. While there I bought a refurbished 25 gallon Fimco LG 2500 sprayer. It had the solid rubber tires on it.

Has anyone else switched and is there any advantage having the pneumatic tires over the solid rubber tires.

Steve

I have not switched yet however I am thinking of going to solid rubber tires on the front casters of my ZTR. Tired of them damn flats.

I don't see any advantage over having air tires over solid rubber other than weight. :)

SuperiorPower
06-12-2009, 05:29 AM
About the only thing I can think of is possibly slightly more shock absorption. But I don't expect that to be an issue. I don't think you would ever notice the difference. But now that you have a sprayer with each type of tire, see if you can tell the difference.

The benefits of the flat free tire are obvious and I doubt I have to spell it out for anyone. :D

picframer
06-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Haven't had a flat on any of the equipment....yet.

Steve these come, at least I think, tubeless, I carry tubes for every size we operate in the event of a flat, if given the choice and I had a flat on a tow behind I would go solid. If it is something I am riding or driving I put a tube in and a can of that no more flat stuff. I have had one flat on a tractor, was pulling the bigger sprayer and the employee went on some shale, it spun a bit and poked a hole.

Congradulations on the sprayer. I will give you guys a tip, these Femco sprayers have two very fine filters, the Organic Fertilizer sometimes has very small particles which will plug the sprayer after about 60 +/- gallons, strain everything you put in with those paper paint funnel filters, they are around $7.00 for 250, you will never have an issue again. Something I started doing two weeks ago when a sprayer plugged.

Andy

swstout
06-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Haven't had a flat on any of the equipment....yet.

Steve these come, at least I think, tubeless, I carry tubes for every size we operate in the event of a flat, if given the choice and I had a flat on a tow behind I would go solid. If it is something I am riding or driving I put a tube in and a can of that no more flat stuff. I have had one flat on a tractor, was pulling the bigger sprayer and the employee went on some shale, it spun a bit and poked a hole.

Congradulations on the sprayer. I will give you guys a tip, these Femco sprayers have two very fine filters, the Organic Fertilizer sometimes has very small particles which will plug the sprayer after about 60 +/- gallons, strain everything you put in with those paper paint funnel filters, they are around $7.00 for 250, you will never have an issue again. Something I started doing two weeks ago when a sprayer plugged.

Andy

It is the tow behind equipment tires I am tlking about. These have been tubeless tires that I could not break the seals on to insert the tubes in a reasonable time frame. Cost wise, it has been cheaper to take them for repair (about $7.00 per tire). The solid rubber tires, new, are about $15.00 each.

Steve

picframer
06-12-2009, 06:26 AM
It is the tow behind equipment tires I am tlking about. These have been tubeless tires that I could not break the seals on to insert the tubes in a reasonable time frame. Cost wise, it has been cheaper to take them for repair (about $7.00 per tire). The solid rubber tires, new, are about $15.00 each.

Steve

Then I would go solid bud, doesn't matter how rough the ride is for them it will not have any impact on you on the tractor. I had thought at one time of putting a tire brake down device in the trailer but there is a chain in the city that does these small tires for ten bucks, they have shops everywhere so I never bothered.

I have found most places, if you inform them you are a contractor, they will take you right away as they want your business and I get a cut at pretty much every store.

swstout
06-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Then I would go solid bud, doesn't matter how rough the ride is for them it will not have any impact on you on the tractor. I had thought at one time of putting a tire brake down device in the trailer but there is a chain in the city that does these small tires for ten bucks, they have shops everywhere so I never bothered.

I have found most places, if you inform them you are a contractor, they will take you right away as they want your business and I get a cut at pretty much every store.

Bought 6 solid tires for my old sprayer, my dump tariler, and my seeder. 4 worked thetires for the dump trailer have a different size axel (maybe 1/16th inch larger). I'll change them tomorrow.

There seems to be a lot of people getting out of the lawn care business judgeing by the amount or used equipment at the Lawnmower Shop. Had nothing there 2 weeks ago. John, the owner goes over them cleans and adjusts them and then resells them. I got paid for 4 jobs today and may go "shopping" tomorrow.

Steve

Steve
06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I got paid for 4 jobs today and may go "shopping" tomorrow.
What are you looking to get?

andyjoneslawncare
06-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Bought 6 solid tires for my old sprayer, my dump tariler, and my seeder. 4 worked thetires for the dump trailer have a different size axel (maybe 1/16th inch larger). I'll change them tomorrow.

There seems to be a lot of people getting out of the lawn care business judgeing by the amount or used equipment at the Lawnmower Shop. Had nothing there 2 weeks ago. John, the owner goes over them cleans and adjusts them and then resells them. I got paid for 4 jobs today and may go "shopping" tomorrow.

Steve
Thanks for the tip. I should go check out the used stuff and see if I can find a deal on anything. Maybe its from people upgrading at the start of season? There are two ways to look at it. There could be more people in the industry because of layoffs, downsizing, etc, or there could be less because not as many people can afford lawn service now. Its the combination thats really hurting the industry, but you're smart enough to stay ahead of the game with your other services. At $15/tire I can't think of a reason not to get them. Do they make solids for back tires also? I'm assuming they'd be more pricey? Has anyone tried that green Slime stuff? I heard it fills the tire so it cant go flat but I think its around $10- $12 a bottle anyway. So far I've been able to get away with fix-a-flat and topping them off with a regular bike pump and haven't had to put air in for about a month now, but for a while it was almost daily. So many thorns and fence panels with nails in the grass, etc.

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Has anyone tried that green Slime stuff? I heard it fills the tire so it cant go flat but I think its around $10- $12 a bottle anyway. So far I've been able to get away with fix-a-flat and topping them off with a regular bike pump and haven't had to put air in for about a month now, but for a while it was almost daily. So many thorns and fence panels with nails in the grass, etc.

Slime is an excellent product. Works very well. I sell the 16 oz bottles for about $8.99 and like you said, the 24 oz bottles, which is the recommended size for lawnmowers, sell for about $12. They have a tubeless product (http://www.slime.com/product/74/Tire-Sealant.html) and a tube tire product (http://www.slime.com/product/82/Tube-Sealant.html) along with tubes prefilled with slime and several other products. Check out their website (http://www.slime.com/index.php).

I would recommend going with Slime if you are having problems with thorns and nails. One bottle will do the average lawn mower tire. It will immediately stop leaks in tires if you hit thorns and nails. Just the centrifugal force will push the Slime to the bead area of the tire and at the moment the nail or thorn pokes through the sire, the Slime is right there to seal up the tire, immediately. Slime "Repairs punctures up to ¼" (6mm) using Fibro-Seal™ technology".

Good luck,
Eli

swstout
06-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Slime is an excellent product. Works very well. I sell the 16 oz bottles for about $8.99 and like you said, the 24 oz bottles, which is the recommended size for lawnmowers, sell for about $12. They have a tubeless product (http://www.slime.com/product/74/Tire-Sealant.html) and a tube tire product (http://www.slime.com/product/82/Tube-Sealant.html) along with tubes prefilled with slime and several other products. Check out their website (http://www.slime.com/index.php).

I would recommend going with Slime if you are having problems with thorns and nails. One bottle will do the average lawn mower tire. It will immediately stop leaks in tires if you hit thorns and nails. Just the centrifugal force will push the Slime to the bead area of the tire and at the moment the nail or thorn pokes through the sire, the Slime is right there to seal up the tire, immediately. Slime "Repairs punctures up to ¼" (6mm) using Fibro-Seal™ technology".

Good luck,
Eli

Thanks Eli,

I have already replaced all my tow behind equipment tires with the solic tires but will get som of the Slime for the lawn and pulling tractors. A cheap "on the Job" fix.

Steve

mark123
06-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I was going to try a couple of solid rubber flat-free tires for the front of my walk behind until my buddy had me use his wheelbarrow with a solid rubber tire.

It's "squishy" and is quite hard to push after loading it with anything other than very dry mulch. Stone? Forget it. Pneumatic tires are harder and much easier to push in this case. Are the mower tires also squishy? Do you notice any difference in gas consumption?

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 01:56 PM
I was going to try a couple of solid rubber flat-free tires for the front of my walk behind until my buddy had me use his wheelbarrow with a solid rubber tire.

It's "squishy" and is quite hard to push after loading it with anything other than very dry mulch. Stone? Forget it. Pneumatic tires are harder and much easier to push in this case. Are the mower tires also squishy? Do you notice any difference in gas consumption?

Remember, there are at least two types of tires that are not "pneumatic". These two are solid rubber "semi-pneumatic" (similar to a push mower's tires) and foam filled rubber tires. From the price they were talking about I would guess they are talking about I would guess they were talking about the "semi-pneumatic" tires since the cheapest prices I have seen for foam filled tires are well over $50.00 a piece.

I am guessing the foam filled tires are the ones you were looking at for the front of your mower. That is just a guess though.

Eli

andyjoneslawncare
06-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I checked out the slime website (thanks) and they have a gallon for $36 which would seal the 4 tires on the mower and the 2 trailer tires. I'm assuming my tires are tubeless. Is there a way to tell without taking them off? I guess it probably would say on the tire. Its a cub with bigger back tires and small front tires (ZRT). I'll see if I can find some locally. It will probably cost a bit more but less than paying shipping costs. The gallon seems like the way to go. Thanks for the info.

BLC0668
06-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I checked out the slime website (thanks) and they have a gallon for $36 which would seal the 4 tires on the mower and the 2 trailer tires. I'm assuming my tires are tubeless. Is there a way to tell without taking them off? I guess it probably would say on the tire. Its a cub with bigger back tires and small front tires (ZRT). I'll see if I can find some locally. It will probably cost a bit more but less than paying shipping costs. The gallon seems like the way to go. Thanks for the info.

I don't suggest buying Slime by the gallon. I bought the gallon to use on my 4-wheeler and the pump was a joke. It claims one ounce per pump or something like that so it would be about 24 pumps per tire and I bet I pumped on each tire atleast 100 or more pumps and then the pump didn't get all of the "Slime" out of the container. So I don't know if that was just my experiance but I wouldn't do it again.

Ben
Shear Perfection Lawn Care

andyjoneslawncare
06-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the tip. Is it true that it doesn't just screw on the valve and you have to take the valve off to put it in? Is that pretty easy to do? Do I need a special tool? I hate to sound like an idiot, I just never had reason to take a valve off before.

BLC0668
06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the tip. Is it true that it doesn't just screw on the valve and you have to take the valve off to put it in? Is that pretty easy to do? Do I need a special tool? I hate to sound like an idiot, I just never had reason to take a valve off before.

You don't have to take the whole valve off you just have to remove the valve core but it's fairly easy. You can get the tool to do so at the auto parts store for less than $5. Also I wanted to add that I didn't mean to make Slime sound like a bad product when in fact it is a great product I just would buy the smaller squeeze bottles even though it may be a bit more expensive.