PDA

View Full Version : Our Latest Addition

picframer
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Seems we add a piece of machinery a week, this is a Bear Cat 8" wood chipper, will chip a log 8" across in seconds, 36 HP 3 cyl Diesel, man does this thing work slick. We have a 6" Bear Cat and a 6" Jinma however we can't keep up. There is only one company in our city with a rig this big and they do not do resiedntial. I called three clients this afternoon who were waiting for us to receive this, we will add one more crew, it is so fast it takes two to three people just to keep it fed. I am hiring this unit and one operator out for $500.00 a day, it will pay for itself in 44 work days.

The last picture is my yard, started yesterday, tilled rolled and put top soil down, sod will be here Wednesday.

Thanks for looking

Andy

turfmaster
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Looks like you found another niche Andy. :D

swstout
06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
You're growing fast. Where do you keep all your equipment? Your supplies?

I almost need more room now (I have 2.88 acres and probably 1.5 is woods). Parking for my 3 vehicles and my wife's car is already tight. I started building a 12 x 10 storage building yesterday to go with the 2 I already have that are overflowing. If things keep growing,, next year I will have to get a commercial property and run out of it instead of my home.

I wish you continued success.

Steve

picframer
06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Looks like you found another niche Andy. :D

I sent an email to three property developers two weeks ago that I herd were developing cottage lots around lakes, Nova Scotia has more water/lakes than land, full of fish etc.

Germans pay top $$$ for lots, money is no issue, I did this on the suggestion from my tree clearing foreman.

OMG, two days later I had two emails, long story short I met with both developers, one I will not work for, personality thing, the other is great, I checked him out as I suspect he did the same, we have been hired to put a road in and clear 14 lots for cottage construction.

I have crews at the site now, I went down today just to see how things were going, everything is running smooth, just need more staff.

I honestly wanted to cut back and smell the roses but I just can't, I am like a dog with a bone, man when I get my teeth into something I go at it full bore which is what is happening with this yard care company.....oh well the cold weather will be here in November, I can calm down and work with Steve on a project, I plan to offer a full franchise, training, assistance with financing, complete turn key package for this business.

I mean why not, I am not greedy and I know I am onto something, a little more fine tuning to do then it will be launched.

Andy

picframer
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
You're growing fast. Where do you keep all your equipment? Your supplies?

I almost need more room now (I have 2.88 acres and probably 1.5 is woods). Parking for my 3 vehicles and my wife's car is already tight. I started building a 12 x 10 storage building yesterday to go with the 2 I already have that are overflowing. If things keep growing,, next year I will have to get a commercial property and run out of it instead of my home.

I wish you continued success.

Steve

This is an issue that is being worked on this week which is why this chipper is home, besides that I have to put GPS on it this evening.

I have a five acre lot, I have four staff coming here in the morning to clear an area 50 X 80, then a different crew will spread fill, gravel. I ordered one of those portable garage things from a company in Quebec, very well made, it is 30 X 50 with a 10 foot door.

Equipment is all over the place, We work in quarters (divided the city up), we leave equipment in each quarter, really saves on transporting. I don't worry about theft, next to impossible to steal anything due to the security I have. Last weekend someone tried to take an ATV from a job site, received a motion alarm areound 2am, went on the computer and sure enough it was being moved, called 911, talked the police through where it was headed, cought both of the robbers, ATV was not hurt a bit and is back on a job site, we use them for pulling logs.

Anyhow it will be interesting this winter, John Deere is letting me store the excavators in a warehouse but I have a ton of gear, will take at least three days to get everything packed away.

Andy