PDA

View Full Version : Hello from WA

AccountingSPOT
06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Hello!
I am Holly and glad to be here! I recently started an Accounting and Bookkeeping service, supporting small business owners. Being a small business owner myself, I know how hard it can be (yikes! It is a LOT of work!). I live in WA state, but I offer virtual services, so I can help you even if you live across the country.

If you have any accounting/bookkeeping questions just ask! I am more than happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks so much for having me here :)

Holly Neitzel

arthur712
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Great to have you here, WELCOME

I am sure we will have questions for you.

Sometime it is easy to work a busy business, but if you do not manage your money correct it will be gone. OOB! Out Of Business!!

Thanx!
Artie Crowley

Steve
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Holly,

Welcome to our forum!

First off you might want to put your contact information in your signature area so it appears in everyone of your posts. You can do that in your control panel (http://www.gopherforum.com/usercp.php).

What got you to start your business? Have you always been an entrepreneur or did something just snap and you said I gotta do this?

AccountingSPOT
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I have not always been an entrepreneur, I got started out of pure anxiousness!

Before I had kids I worked as a professional accountant. Then stayed home once I had my first baby. I quickly became VERY anxious and really missed doing accounting. But, I wanted to be the primary care taker of the kids, so I had to come up with something that would allow me to do that, but still practice accounting! Eventually, Accounting SPOT was born and here I am :)

Steve
06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
We have many readers here that cover a wide demographic group. Many of them are women.

What advice would you have for them when trying to get their business up off the ground especially if they had never been an entrepreneur before?

Was this a fairly easy transition for you or did you feel that you had to adopt a new mind set?

Many times new would be entrepreneurs find it difficult to get started because they simply can not get the support of their families. Being a woman and a mom must certainly add a different element into the mix that men might not realize. How do all these things effect the ability for one to create a business with all that going on and be an entrepreneur?

AccountingSPOT
06-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Steve: "What advice would you have for them when trying to get their business up off the ground especially if they had never been an entrepreneur before?"

Oh, BIG question! My best advice is to make sure you are doing something you LOVE. It takes SO much time and energy to create a business, I think it has to be something that you are passionate about. Otherwise, it just isn't fun or sustainable.

Steve: "Was this a fairly easy transition for you or did you feel that you had to adopt a new mind set?"

I found it to be an easy transition. I've had years of business related schooling, so I have always be of that mind. The hardest part of the transition is that while I am a stay-at-home mom, I work (at the business) MANY more hours than I would if I had an outside job. I haven't actually tracked my hours...I don't even want to know! :)

Steve: "Many times new, would be entrepreneurs find it difficult to get started because they simply can not get the support of their families. Being a woman and a mom must certainly add a different element into the mix that men might not realize. How do all these things effect the ability for one to create a business with all that going on and be an entrepreneur?"

It isn't necessarily that getting family support is difficult, I find that they just don't consider what I do WORK. I do this from home, and I do it all online or on the computer. To anyone else, it just looks like I am playing on the computer (while ignoring the sink full of dirty dishes). I find that I take care of business during my 'me' time. But I am perfectly happy with that, as it is fun for me!

Steve
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Holly,

I had another question that pops up regularly.

Payroll. How difficult is it for a business owner to handle this themselves and what is involved with it? Do you offer this service? How many employees should a business owner have before they consider hiring out this service?

turftrainer
06-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Hello everyone. Im a newbie to the website and forum. The name of my bus is Turf Trainer and i live and work in a coastal comm. in NC. My main focus is weed control fertilizing, insect control..... Im licensed in aquatics, ornatmental and turf, as well as right of way. I do have a 100 gal skid sprayer and some bus cards. Im halfway through a 2 yr degree in landscape gardening. Right now im trying to find templates for maint contracts desgined just for weed control, fert, .... like Scotts, or TruGreen. I live in a warm climate so the grasses used around here are warm season grass like beremuda, centipede, st aug, zoysia. Any tips, advice,comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve
06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi TurfTrainer,

Welcome to our forum. Check out our free marketing template section (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34) here.

AccountingSPOT
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Holly,

I had another question that pops up regularly.

Payroll. How difficult is it for a business owner to handle this themselves and what is involved with it? Do you offer this service? How many employees should a business owner have before they consider hiring out this service?

Payroll is not something I have direct experience with (I have exposure, but not experience, just isn't the same!). It is not a service I currently offer, but I have recently taken on a client with a small number of employees. So, I will be learning ALL about this! It is a service I hope to offer soon.

That said, I have found a great source of information on this topic:
http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/settingupapayrollsystem/ss/payrollsystem.htm
Be sure to look around at the related links on each page. TONS of information!

If you do have a specific payroll question, I'd be happy to research it and give point you in the right direction!