PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trucks

picframer
06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Gas and fuel is costing me a small fortune, last week I was driving past a place that imports trucks and these trucks cought my eye, main reason was now that is different, I have never seen these before.

They are a 3 cyl, some are Honda, Toyota, Suzuki....many have a dump, they will haul 1,200 pounds, 45 mpg, right hand steer, four wheel drive.

Aside from fuel costs I really need more trucks, this importer has 24 he just received, most are in the 1990 to 1996 range, cost for one without a dump is in the $5,500 range, with dump $7,000

I did google them and there isnt any information to speak of, the local dealers will service them however parts would have to be ordered in.

I am thinking of buying two, maybe three. Imagine the reaction from people who see them all lettered out, I still take note of Smart Cars when I see them, what a marketing idea.

Does anyone know anything about these on the down side?

Andy

ritchiem
06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I think those are super sweet mini trucks...wonder how they would stand up to daily use. You say they'll haul 1200lbs...does that include debris in the dump as well?

It looks like if you had to slam on the brakes the rear end would come off the ground. Would have to get use to the right hand steer.

SuperiorPower
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I have no idea how it is in Canada, but I know that at least here in Missouri, it is not possible to register them to use on the roadway. Again, I have no idea how things work in Canada.

Part of the issue is with the fact that these are not imported with the permission of the manufacturers. Therefore they are brought in on what is referred to as the "gray market" meaning they are not on the "black market" but they are also not on the "white market" or whatever would be the opposite of the black market (open market?). I suppose they get the name from the thought of "its not black and white", therefore this is a "gray area" where these fall into. That make sense?

Just the same, I love the looks of the little guys (hey, I am short and can talk about "little guys"!!!) and think they would be a great tool, especially for off road use. Not sure how they would do in snow and whatever other weather Canada dishes out.

Matter of fact a friend of mine was talking about them the other day and said his dad was looking at buying one for farm use since it is 4X4 and should be pretty versatile.

Let us know what you do.

Eli

Steve
06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I'd do it just to experiment and be different. The one thing I would be concerned with is if this importer goes out of business, could you find a place online to ship you parts.

picframer
06-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks Eli,

I have been looking at these this evening, doing some research on the net, I see they are used a lot in the USA on farms, instead of ATV`s etc. but none that I found are allowed on the highway.

So I called my borther in law, he is head of Canada Customs for Atlantic Canada, he did some checking and they are ligit and have been imported properly and inspected by transport Canada. They are driven in British Columbia on the roads a lot, I have only seen one or two around here and assumed someone bought them over seas and brought them back, I see this a lot being a port city with a very large Navy base.

All I am looking for is something that looks decent, cheap to run for city use only. I need these for pressure washing and small cleanups, we may haul a little mulch but that is about it. Just something that would hold basic lawn care stuff to free my trucks up for bigger jobs.

They will not see highway use so the fact that they will only go 55 mph is a non issue.

I am going to buy one Monday or see if they will let me at least have it for a couple of hours, I will report back.

Andy

Steve
06-06-2009, 08:30 PM
This could make for another great newspaper article. How you are going more 'green' with your business. Maybe call your newspaper contact about this.

picframer
06-06-2009, 08:38 PM
This could make for another great newspaper article. How you are going more 'green' with your business. Maybe call your newspaper contact about this.

Never thought of that, I see this as a major marketing play, I mean when smart cars came to our city I really took notice, didn't want one but had to have a look, then companies started buying them and advertising, I can probably name 15 companies here that have them, ask me to name 5 companies driving full sized trucks and I would struggle.

So the more I think about this and cementing the name of our company in the minds of the prospect, I am sold. And it would cost the bigger companies too much to switch, because we are in a major growth phase it is nothing major to me, saves me capital and the operating cost is 70% less than what we are paying now, sometimes we have to make multiple trips to get all the gear to a site, one or two of these would cure that.

I mean, two or three of these parked at a coffee shop in the morning with lettering may make some laugh but I bet if you asked them a few days later they would remember the company name.

Going to throw this out to the staff and see what they think also, I like to involve them in the decision making process as I see us as a team and everyone including myself has equal say.

Having fun.......Andy

Steve
06-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Here is a postcard design idea you could use to help promote your company going green LOL

picframer
06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Here is a postcard design idea you could use to help promote your company going green LOL

I like it.....making the competition Green With Envy...:)

Steve
06-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I got contacted by this company Weed Pro and when I went to their site. WOW I found they use these mini cars to give estimates.

http://www.weedpro.com/

What do you think? Pretty cool? It might give you ideas for your truck graphic designs.

swstout
06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Very impressive website. My mind is in overdrive after viewing it.

Steve

Steve
06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh yea after I saw that website I totally was thinking they raised the bar!

picframer
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I got contacted by this company Weed Pro and when I went to their site. WOW I found they use these mini cars to give estimates.

http://www.weedpro.com/

What do you think? Pretty cool? It might give you ideas for your truck graphic designs.

That's the smart cars I was talking about, very nice site. I am telling you one can make a fortune in spraying.

SuperiorPower
06-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I think it is an interesting ploy to have a game that leads to a prompt to get a free quote. The game is a nice lead to the advertisement. I think an interactive advertisement like they have is probably more affective than a "static" advertisement. But I have to ask, how expensive was that game programming? Is that something that you and me can afford? I doubt it. But interesting just the same. Think outside the bun, or outside the yard.

swstout
06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
I think it is an interesting ploy to have a game that leads to a prompt to get a free quote. The game is a nice lead to the advertisement. I think an interactive advertisement like they have is probably more affective than a "static" advertisement. But I have to ask, how expensive was that game programming? Is that something that you and me can afford? I doubt it. But interesting just the same. Think outside the bun, or outside the yard.

Such a site even including the initial costs would be a great start to a Gofor Forum Franchise.

Steve

picframer
06-10-2009, 05:09 AM

I would guess in the $3,500 range, I know I could get one done for that if I did all the leg work and had it ready for dot net programming. I can do pretty much anything in HTML but that site is beyond my skills.

Would I have a site built like that, probably not, just not enough website traffic to justify it, I could run a lot of newspaper ad's for that kind of cash and have a much larger return, don't get me wrong we get quite a few replies through our website and a lot of comments but it's running 7% and we are ranked number 1 on google for our area.

Vehicle lettering in my experience is #1, then newspaper, then our vehicles our drive by handouts, website and of course there are referrals

arthur712
06-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Vehicle lettering in my experience is #1, then newspaper, then our vehicles our drive by handouts, website and of course there are referrals

Vehicle advertising will always the best way to go. Don't need permits. LOL

Thanx!

Steve
06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I wasn't able to quickly find it but does that business franchise?