PDA

View Full Version : How to create a website

baseballmartz8
06-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I am starting a new business and looking to start a web page. I am kind of stuck on where to start though. Can someone tell me where to start? I know that a website may cost money but are there any good free ones out there?

Thanks

Steve
06-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Where are you at in your process so far? Have you been able to download one of our free web templates? Were you able to go to a site like godaddy.com and register a domain name and get some web space? Then have you been able to upload the webtemplate onto your site?

SuperiorPower
06-06-2009, 02:56 PM
one of the most popular free ones I know of is http://www.webs.com/

One of the down sides is you get advertisements on the site that you have no control over. But its free to you. The advertisements is what makes it free.

I made myself one a while back for my shop: http://superiorpowerequipment.webs.com/

It is primarily just something to do at the time just to see how easy it was. And it is easy. You are limited to several templates that are not the best but it gets you going.

I have since made a different forum (link in my sig) and no longer use the one on the above website.

There are many different options for website hosting if you choose to not go with a free one. I personally use 1and1 (http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=20235909). They always have good special offers and even their regular pricing is great! 1&1 gives free domains with every hosting plan, easy site building tools, free valuable software and even free search engine advertising vouchers to promote your site with. Definitely worth taking a look at. These guys host over 5 million websites and have been around for a very long time. I have heard numerous complaints about godaddy.com and personally will avoid them and would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

When it comes to actually making your website, I know there are some good templates you can download from gopherforum (ask Steve how). The templates I have seen are professional looking and I would highly recommend them.

Good luck,
Eli

ritchiem
06-06-2009, 05:43 PM
well if you have any specific questions or you just need to know that next step just ask. I tend to dabble in website / graphic design.

I also use 1and1.com (http://www.1and1.com) as they are a very cost effective and feature rich.

Steve
06-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Richard,

Do you still offer your web design services? Could they hire you to put something together for them if they get stuck?

baseballmartz8
06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
thanks guys for the help. I will definitely look into a website.

I am actually a teen that is starting up a business with my friend to make some money this summer. I cut people grass back where I used to live but they were mostly just neighbors. Now that I am older, I can drive farther and hopefully get more customers.
I know this question doesn't fit in this topic but I might as well ask it anyway.
I just made flyers and will go around putting them in peoples mailboxes soon with a estimate on there. I am a little worried about not getting any clients because people around where I live all seem to have their own mowers and mow there own lawn. My question would be, what can I do to get a quick couple of clients. Are there any deals that you would recommend like 25% your fist cut or 5th mowing of the season free? Also, what else can I do get the word out about my business besides flyers.

Thanks for all the help

Steve
06-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Because of your age, you probably know a lot of people. Why not just ask your neighbors, friends or family members if you can service their properties for them. I am sure some of them will sign up with you and get you started. Once you get one or two, you will start to get the hang of it and you will get more neighbors.

Try putting the word out and see how it goes.

Keep us posted.

SprinklerRepair
06-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe the best "website" you can have is a Word press site.

I have never "proven" the theory by trying to rank an html site head-to-head against WP php site for the same keywords (maybe I should), but they sure do seem to rank quickly.

Steve
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Thats a very good point and something I constantly forget. Word press is free to download as well. Maybe you could experiment with that.

musician/lawnman
06-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I have had some people on the forum help me out with the WP site I set up after it was highly recommended on here, For the 1st few weeks I blogged regularly & it still doesn't seem to rank very well, never did? Not that it matters much, my regular website is ranking well & the phone is ringing but I suppose it could always be better. I guess my point is, any changes I make to my html page seem to take immediate effect & come up in rankings quickly.
The WP blog is so far back in the serps I haven't had the patience to find it for most Keywords. :rolleyes: I am trying but lack the time to blog as much as I should to obtain optimal results from it.

Fresh Cut
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
What is a Word Press site? And what is the difference between it and an HTML site?

I need to know because I'm building a site right now.

I already have my domain name and hosting... I'm looking for templates right now

musician/lawnman
06-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Check out http://www.wordpress.org
It is better to download WP install your new wp blog on your server rather than having them host it.

Steve
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
What is a Word Press site? And what is the difference between it and an HTML site?

A word press site is a site that runs on the word press software. It is more search engine friendly than a generic web template. It also comes with added features like rss (real simple syndication) feeds that can alert other sites of changes on your site.

Check out the site Chuck posted and let us know how it goes.