PDA

View Full Version : Business Idea - Driveway sealing

picframer
06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
This afternoon was a quote afternoon as I want the weekend to do stuff around my property.

We have had a few customers ask if we would seal their paved driveway, our response has been this is not a service we offer at this time however we will note you are interested should we decide to offer it.

Had two clients ask me about this today, I was at their homes for other work, it just came up.

As I was driving to find a milk shake I noticed two guys with a small truck spraying sealer on a paved driveway, decided to stop. Pretty simple setup, they informed me they are going out straight, I didn't suggest I was looking into this, just asked for some cards as we had clients asking and it was something we didn't do. I liked the job they did and we talked about pricing, subcontracting them etc. The information flowed and I have everything I need and yes I will use them a few times for the information.

So my question is, do any of you folks offer this service? What is the downside, aside from the black mess in the back of the truck?

Andy

Steve
06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
That could be a really great add on service. By itself it may be tough to only offer driveway sealing but in conjunction with other home care services, it could be very beneficial.

What did they suggest as far as how to bid jobs? Also what kind of set up did they suggest using?

picframer
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
That could be a really great add on service. By itself it may be tough to only offer driveway sealing but in conjunction with other home care services, it could be very beneficial.

What did they suggest as far as how to bid jobs? Also what kind of set up did they suggest using?

They do a straight by the square foot, they roll around the edges with a 16" roller then spray, it is very quick but what a mess the back of their truck was.

They offered me a 20% referral which I think I will do for now, I don't think this is something that interests me due to the mess.

But as I was driving home I started looking at paved driveways, I think this could be another gold mine.

I think Lawn Care extends to property care, aything we can do to help the home owner and make a buck at, interests me.

swstout
06-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a neighbor who does this to suppliment his income. The mess in your truck is only part of it. When he goes to a jobsite he is well dressed. He then puts on overalls which he prettty much has to throw out after a few as one job.

Also, he says there is such a stigma to the business because of fly by nighters that reputation is the only marketing plan. His marketing is placeing a sign on the property asking potential customers to ask the property owner about his service. He keeps busy 3-5 days a week.

Steve

SuperiorPower
06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Andy is this a place where a trailer would be better than a truck? This way you could just unhook and a trailer is much cheaper than a truck. I agree this is a great way to supplement your business. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

picframer
06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Andy is this a place where a trailer would be better than a truck? This way you could just unhook and a trailer is much cheaper than a truck. I agree this is a great way to supplement your business. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Yes a trailer would work well in some areas and would be a lot cheaper however I was thinking of hitting the city folk and the issue is parking, I have no idea how the lawn care guys deal with this as there just isn't any for a truck and trailer.

I did some reading this evening, it's an idea and if I can hook up with this company I found and simply get a 20% comission, I think that is the route to go.

SuperiorPower
06-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes a trailer would work well in some areas and would be a lot cheaper however I was thinking of hitting the city folk and the issue is parking, I have no idea how the lawn care guys deal with this as there just isn't any for a truck and trailer.

I did some reading this evening, it's an idea and if I can hook up with this company I found and simply get a 20% comission, I think that is the route to go.

I have to agree, a 20% commission is rather generous for basically referring them to a job. To me that indicates a high profit venture. Or someone opening their mouth before they thought.

I understand with not wanting to do it at this time. There are something that a person is better not getting involved in at certain times. A wise man knows when to go in feet first and when to stand by and watch. I believe you are that wise man.

picframer
06-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks for your kind comments Eli!

Did more reading last night, you are very correct in that this is a high profit margin service, seems like it is a fairly easy sale also.

The number one downside is the mess, I looked at a number of companies, pictures etc. The vehicles are a mess which I understand, it would be next to impossible to keep things clean and staff being what they are, it would not fit well with my image push in yard care. Eventually even the inside of vehicles would be a mess even if we did use a trailer.

I called and spoke with the owner of this small company again last night, I received the names of two of his clients and called them to see if they were happy with the work done, that passed so I emailed him two of my clients and we shall see how this goes.

The issue with sub contracting in my experience is if there is an issue with the work, even though it's not your issue, your client will make it your issue as you referred someone. Have to take a chance and see how this goes, this could work for both of us.

Have a super weekend!!

Andy

Steve
06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Why not just have a small black pickup for this? Then maybe the black tar wouldn't stand out at all?

They do a straight by the square foot, they roll around the edges with a 16" roller then spray, it is very quick but what a mess the back of their truck was.

What does the rolling do?

Also I have seen homeowners spread this stuff on manually maybe with a roller or with a long spreader. How much different is the product the average homeowner would use compare to what a professional would use?

What's the benefit of spraying versus other forms of applying?

JessyMathers
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
The reason they seal the edges first is to ensure there is no over spray on their property. It is important to have a nice clean job in order to get business. I started sealing driveways last year and brought in $20,000 in 3 months. Another method that is much faster than rolling the edges is using a blocker board. A piece of plywood cut out and you hold it to make sure there is no over spray. Keeping you're vehicle clean is one of the hardest things. If you want to get in the business get a large trailer and put all of your equipment in the back of the trailer this will help keep the truck clean. I just used a old blanket on the seat while I was sealing to keep things neat.

Steve
01-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi Jessy,

Did you find you ran into a bunch of start up mistakes when you first got going?

Do you have maybe 5 top mistakes you made early on that others need to look out for?

bruces
01-18-2011, 03:09 AM
A friend of mine does this .His equipment is basically a trailer with a tank,a gas powered pump ,and a wand .I think the tank is heated but am not sure .He makes a very good buck doing this ,but as stated its an extremely messy job .One time he just finished spraying,and a neighbor came over and asked if he would do his place too .While my buddy was turned around,the neighbour threw his cigarette on the driveway ,and the whole driveway lit up .Luckily the owners were not home,and buddy found a hose outside and got the fire out before lighting up the garage .

Growing Green
01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
A friend of mine does this .His equipment is basically a trailer with a tank,a gas powered pump ,and a wand .I think the tank is heated but am not sure .He makes a very good buck doing this ,but as stated its an extremely messy job .One time he just finished spraying,and a neighbor came over and asked if he would do his place too .While my buddy was turned around,the neighbour threw his cigarette on the driveway ,and the whole driveway lit up .Luckily the owners were not home,and buddy found a hose outside and got the fire out before lighting up the garage .

LOL That is crazy!!!

Matt

Growing Green
01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your kind comments Eli!

Did more reading last night, you are very correct in that this is a high profit margin service, seems like it is a fairly easy sale also.

The number one downside is the mess, I looked at a number of companies, pictures etc. The vehicles are a mess which I understand, it would be next to impossible to keep things clean and staff being what they are, it would not fit well with my image push in yard care. Eventually even the inside of vehicles would be a mess even if we did use a trailer.

I called and spoke with the owner of this small company again last night, I received the names of two of his clients and called them to see if they were happy with the work done, that passed so I emailed him two of my clients and we shall see how this goes.

The issue with sub contracting in my experience is if there is an issue with the work, even though it's not your issue, your client will make it your issue as you referred someone. Have to take a chance and see how this goes, this could work for both of us.

Have a super weekend!!

Andy

Andy, how did your adventure go with subcontracting this? Did you offer this now?

Matt