PDA

View Full Version : Starting Lawn Service

jjpacen89
06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello Guys,

I have some questions about starting a lawn service.

1. When knocking on doors what is a great way to get potential customers attracted to your service?

2. Which way has been the best way to advertise for your business?

Thanks

Joe

Steve
06-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Joe,

Welcome to our forum!

As far as going door to door, there is a lot of information on my blog here on this topic

http://lawnchat.com/index.php?s=door+to+door

Specifically one that might interest you is this one

Lawn Care Business Flyer Door to Door distribution advice. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=695)

Which way has been the best way to advertise for your business?

I think this varies from area to area. Ultimately your goal is to stand out and promote yourself from a platform that has few competitors. So if everyone is doing one thing to promote, you need to do another to stand out.

There are a ton of ways to experiment with, but the basics come down to meeting people and talking to them. Getting to know them and letting them get to know you. Handing out business cards. Talking to neighbors. Having your friends and family mention you. Do good deed in your community to get media attention.

All of these things step by step will expand your customer base.

Does this help?

What got you to start your lawn care business?

jjpacen89
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
thanks steve,

what really got me to start a lawn service is mowing my own lawn. i really enjoy being outside and i liked how the finished product looked and that gave me the idea i could do this as a job. The quote "do what you love, love what you do" made me realize that this is what i love to do.

I really would like to expand my business to be about 15 customers strong.

Steve
06-05-2009, 11:46 PM
That is great! So with all of your new knowledge, have you created a marketing plan of attack? If so what will you be doing?

picframer
06-06-2009, 04:51 AM
For whatever reason I love cold calling and meeting new people.

What I do, if time allows, if I see you outside and you have a weed problem, I will stop, you have a pile of top soil, gravel for your driveway etc. My line is quite simple, Good Afternoon sir/mam, just driving by and noticed you have a nice pile of top soil, our company would be pleased to offer you a quote to spread it and save your back, if you wish we can rake, roll, seed and spray, no obligation at all and you do not have to take all the services. Every prospect I have spoke with said sure, I would guess we get 95%++ of the work.

I did this yesterday and it seems to have become second nature as I thought to myself have way through the conservation, we don't have time to do this, anyhow the fellow had cut a large birch tree in his front yard and had a massive pile of brush, gave a quote on chipping and clean up, he accepted. I have equipment in that area so I will get staff to stop by this afternoon when they finish the job they are on.

If a prospect has what I consider a prime location that we are after, I will give them a deal as one of the best advertising ways for us is the vehicles on the street, sometimes even if it's a small job I will get two or three crews to go loaded with equipment, I know it's gross overkill but having all that gear parked out front has been an amazing selling tool.

Just keep trying different things and never give up, I quite often stumble on products, services or marketing ideas, some work excellent, some fall flat, it's all about trying.

Steve
06-06-2009, 01:16 PM
If a prospect has what I consider a prime location that we are after, I will give them a deal as one of the best advertising ways for us is the vehicles on the street

Andy do you ever use lawn signs? Or no?

picframer
06-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Andy do you ever use lawn signs? Or no?

Yes, we leave them for two weeks on all excavation jobs ten pick them up.

jjpacen89
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I have an idea of what i want to do for advertising one of my customers said i could make a sign and leave it on his property so i will be doing that. I have been telling all my friends and family that i am starting a service and giving them my business cards. I will be going this week door to door and finding out if anyone want there lawn mowed. I have a basic idea of what i want to do but i dont know where to go after that.

Steve
06-06-2009, 08:08 PM
The most important thing is to get started. Get the wheels turning and as you do, more will fall into place.

Maybe you could service some local friends or family member's properties and then knock on the neighbors doors and see if you can do their lawns as well.

Once you have momentum on your side I think you will find it a lot easier to get more customers as you are doing versus not having gotten started yet.

jjpacen89
06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
ok ill try doing that.

thanks for the help guys

doug1980
06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I just started my business about a month ago. Really haven't done too much advertising but luckily my boss is a realtor and set me up with 4 clients plus I mowed her yard for $50.00 today. So without any advertising I have 5 weekly accounts @ $40.00 each. Sometimes all you need is a little luck.

jjpacen89
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Do you think if i approach a realtor they could possibly give me some lawns

Steve
06-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Do you think if i approach a realtor they could possibly give me some lawns

There is a very good chance. And you can help promote them to your clients. At the very least you will be networking and networking will bring you jobs either now or in the future.

Keep us posted on how it all goes.