PDA

View Full Version : Not having what it takes.

Steve
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Before you got your business started or when you got it started, did you ever find yourself battling with yourself and trying to figure out if you 'had what it takes' to get a business up and running?

If so, how did you overcome that?

Did you find yourself playing a lot of mental mind games that really weren't helpful?

swstout
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Before you got your business started or when you got it started, did you ever find yourself battling with yourself and trying to figure out if you 'had what it takes' to get a business up and running?

I didn't, but friends and family did!
"You're not as young as you think".
"I don't think you can take the heat".
"Do you have any idea of the time commitment you have to do"?
"You're retired military, live the good life."

Did you find yourself playing a lot of mental mind games that really weren't helpful?

I have lived my entire life not dealing with problems or threats. I enjoy solving problems so I don't deal with them, I solve them! Threats, I don't encounter any more, so I guess I am living the good life.

I know that I have what it takes and look forward to any and all challenges. And, it doesn't bother me in the least to ask for help. I ask successful people how they solved problems I encounter. I am not afraid to try new things.

Granted, I do not intend to do the labor part for much longer. I am building a team to lead and follow at the same time. I want hands on for all projects, but not do all projects.

Steve

picframer
06-04-2009, 10:04 PM

I think running one's own business is simply mindset, positive thinking. I am the only Entrepreneur in my family of 5, dad was a fighter pilot most of his life. I have no idea why but starting business's is in my blood and it all started at the age of 12.

Most of my friends think I am full of horseshoes as everything for the most part always turns out and takes of, I have no idea why but I do love what I do and that is key.

musician/lawnman
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
I knew I could build a sucessful business, I just was't sure how I was going to do it at first. I knew that I needed to find the right avenues to advertise, slogans & company image to use, even choosing the company name tormented me, Though I have a wife, & 2 kids to feed so I didn't have time to dilly dally. I needed to make it happen & on the 1st crack.
I am not a betting man at all. I suck at gambles. If I am going to an estimate & find the street I have a 50/50 shot of "is this address going to be to the left or right?" I am wrong 90% of the freakin' time. Seriously!
The only thing I would bet on is me. I have never failed myself. I have never crumbled under the pressure & never not completed what ever I needed to do, especially the times in my life when I was backed into a corner. That's when it's time (to continue the fight analagy) to come out swinging & fight hard, when you gotta turn things around & right now or your gonna lose, nobody else can help you. It's all you, & how much you believe you can do it.
Anybody CAN do this, though most won't. It takes balls to jump out on your own, to leave the security of a predictable weekly check.
Furthermore, it takes heart to make it actually happen, to make something from nothing, to carve out your own living. Entreprenuers have a spirit that the typical worker-bee employees don't. That's ok because both have their place. This isn't for everyone. I am not saying that many who read this should decide against taking that leap, but if they are truely terrified &/or unsure of themselves when pondering the "can I do this?" question, the answer may very well be, no, your a worker-bee. You could lucky still but if you aren't SURE YOU CAN..... you have a much higher probability of failure than one is sure they WILL succeed.

There, a no jokes, serious post from me. How's that? Just my .02

turfmaster
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I have to agree with Andy that starting and running a business is a mind set.
You have to have a positive outlook and the drive to succeed.
You have to go the extra distance in dealing with all the challenges and responsibilities of running a business and continue to strive for improvement.
There are leaders and followers and you have to be a leader to run a successful business in my opinion. :)

CHEESE2009
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Oh man, it's a never ending battle with friends, family, etc...

Working with another company, I have learned to make the best decisions. I learned what to look for in people who will be helping me out. I made a mental list of things to do while maintaining a lawn, or even loading my trailer in the morning.

I worked myself up to be the best foreman, the hardest worker & most successful s.o.b to ever step into this company. Though I decided to work for myself, stability reasons. I believed all my effort & know how will make me successful, & I would learn to run a business every step of the way. It's one difficult game to play, but to answer my phone & say, "Breeze Lawn Service, Scott speaking" just makes it all worth while.

I think my weakness is patience, I want to advance fast & look the best. My patience is seriously limited when I'm offered something great, & it suddenly doesn't help me. I get fed up because my hopes were high & now I'm back at square one, disappointed.

The hardest part has to be choosing the next best step to take after the previous one failed. I have no problem with customers, I just don't like when everyone else gets in my way. Starting my own business I've become less of a team player & more independent, I just want things done right the first time.