PDA

View Full Version : newbie

marlin27
06-02-2009, 06:47 PM
just a short intro.... My name is Brazos and im from texas...

this site is very helpfull and i appreciate whomever put this all together.

adios

Steve
06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi Brazos,

Welcome to our forum.

What got you to start your lawn care business?

marlin27
06-04-2009, 12:53 AM
ive been a foreman for 8 yrs and i realized wow i want more money.. lol

Steve
06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Being a foreman for 8 years, you must have experienced a lot. What do you think that 8 years has helped you with when it came to starting your business and what topics do you feel you need to learn more on that you didnt pick up during that 8 years?

marlin27
06-04-2009, 11:57 PM
after 8 yrs i know how growing to big effects you.. owning a biz, not seeing the end product u loose alot. people who work for u are just there to earn a dollar. 99% of the workers dont care about perfection. The Deming mind set of how do i become better goes away and the "how do i make more" sets it.

i plan on enjoying what i do and also running a total legal biz.

Steve
06-05-2009, 11:08 AM
How many employees did your previous employer have? How would you have handled things differently? Whats the best way to manage employees to make sure they are providing quality service?

marlin27
06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
There where 5 employees. I think to best see productive service the owner needs to check up on yards, not just see the checks. a mailer asking how the service is and what more they can do would be a good idea. also having a good foreman is key. im not an expert, these are just my 2 cents...

I would love to see some type of degree required to own or manage(foreman) a lawn business. right now, the market is flooded with thousands of juan lawn services.(illegals that come overe to take advantage of our system)

im not racist by any means and i can understand there desire to better themselves and their fams, but at what cost to us with actuall landscape degrees?

Steve
06-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Did you find any surprises when you went from an employee to an employer? If you were to offer any advice to others who are traveling your same route, what things should they look out for? What things were they probably not aware of as an employee that they will have to be as an employer?