PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late?

04-23-2006, 02:36 PM
My family is thinking of starting a lawn & landscape company in middle Tennessee. Is it too late to start this season?

Steve
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Paul,

It's never to late to start a business.

What have you done so far to get started and what other things are still on your list?

kc2006
04-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Like TG said, it's never too late. The problem most guys have is they do almost all their advertising in the spring and figure that's all they're going to get. Last year I got more customer in May and June then I did in spring. Really hoping for the same to happen this year, things are really picking up now (Northeast Ohio).

04-27-2006, 08:38 AM
I've checked into licenses liability and equipment costs. Also population projections and housing projections for our area. Contacted the SBA about business plan and funding.

Steve
04-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Hi Paul,

What kind of feedback did you get from the SBA?

How much funding have you calculated you will need to get started? How much of that would you be able to fund yourself?

pdmoore69
04-28-2006, 08:41 AM
The SBA is having us come in at the beginning of May to apply for a loan. Up to twenty five thousand with the particular program we're going through. Sttart up with all new equipment would be around ten thousand with the rest being used for overhead and operating costs.

Steve
04-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Paul,

I wish you the best with this. I do remember many lcos applying for them but I can't remember anyone getting an SBA loan. Let us know how it goes.

Is there any reason why you want to start off with a loan and all new equipment versus used equipment and scaling up?

There are probably a bunch of other lcos on this forum that would advise against taking on debt when you start up. I don't like the idea either.

pdmoore69
04-28-2006, 11:41 AM
We're not to thrilled about all new equipment either but there's not much used around here that we've found that people are willing to give up. The start up would be alot less but our savings won't get us very far with operating costs. One of us is going o have to quite our job to make this happen (probably me) and we would rather keep our personal savings for personal bills and my daughters college. She starts next fall.

Steve
04-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Is there a way you can start this part-time?

Many successful lcos spent a few years doing it part time until they got the business going and then quit their full time job.

watleylawncare
04-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ April 28 2006,9:48)]Paul,

I wish you the best with this. I do remember many lcos applying for them but I can't remember anyone getting an SBA loan. Let us know how it goes.

Is there any reason why you want to start off with a loan and all new equipment versus used equipment and scaling up?

There are probably a bunch of other lcos on this forum that would advise against taking on debt when you start up. I don't like the idea either.
Starting with used equipment and scaling up is the way we started. Didn't want to take out any loans to have to pay back. So far our customer base has allowed us to buy new equipiment. We are in the process of buying a riding lawn mower in a couple of days, so we can get started mowing lawns straight away. My husband is tire of the walk behinds and is ready to ride.