PDA

View Full Version : Whats your yard look like?

jasonw
05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I would assume a lawn care person would have an awesome yard however most contractors always have an unfinished house and mechanics drive old cars lol. I know I stay so busy I cant keep up with my own yard. I have a half acer we try to keep the entire property landscaped but it dosnt work out that way. A few nice flower beds, behind the house is all just dead weeds and dirt. Front lawn is a mix of seed I planted when I bought the house and weeds that I water and cut. I would imagine if I got a job in my neighborhood I would look like a very bad business with the weeds in my own lawn. Anyone ells find it hard to keep up on there own yards or do you make it a point to have a nice yard? Dont get me wrong I love a nice yard I just find it hard to obtain.

majoe7
05-30-2009, 04:37 PM
You know Jason, I responded to a post a while ago about how we maintain our own lawns. It took one of my kids to tell me, Dad you make everyone else’s lawn look great, what happened to ours? That following Monday I took care of our lawn, shrubs and flowers. I get great compliments all the time from fellow neighbors. I do have several land care clients in my neighborhood and they always understand. I, by no means let my yard get out of hand but sometimes we are too busy to get to our own. LOL

John

Little's
05-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Mine looks like cr@p...
Hate to say it, but I need to hire someone to maintain it for me, haha

Steve W
05-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I just have grass and boxwoods so that I can take care of quick and so it looks OK. I'm a simple man when it comes to stuff like that.

swstout
05-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I would assume a lawn care person would have an awesome yard however most contractors always have an unfinished house and mechanics drive old cars lol. I know I stay so busy I cant keep up with my own yard. I have a half acer we try to keep the entire property landscaped but it dosnt work out that way. A few nice flower beds, behind the house is all just dead weeds and dirt. Front lawn is a mix of seed I planted when I bought the house and weeds that I water and cut. I would imagine if I got a job in my neighborhood I would look like a very bad business with the weeds in my own lawn. Anyone ells find it hard to keep up on there own yards or do you make it a point to have a nice yard? Dont get me wrong I love a nice yard I just find it hard to obtain.

My wife told me to fix our lawn or pave it and paint it green! I can honestly say that there isn"t a blade of grass on my front lawn.Over a week ago, I tilled it completely. We have had 7 straight days of thunderstorms and it held up pretty well. Today, I rolled it, sprayed it, seeded it with Bermuda grass, then rolled it again. While I was doing that, "The Boss" went through almost $400 on flowers for her flower gardens.

In 4 - 6 weeks, I should have a desent lawn. Even though I am busy, I didn't want to sleep with he dog! Now she wants me to clean up my office!

Steve

musician/lawnman
05-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Mine looks like cr@p...
Hate to say it, but I need to hire someone to maintain it for me, haha

AMEN BROTHER! Same here. I take meticulous care of the lawns for my clients but I lack the time for mine. My wife asks sometimes & I am like ya know, this is the only lawn I don't get paid for & you can't fire me, Sorry but we are last on the priority list! I have considered getting together with another local lco & see if he'll do mine, & I'll do his. I used to love taking care of my lawn. Now, I love doing it for others & hate doing my own. Who has time for this crap? No wonder people hire us! :eek:

Steve W
05-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Hjahahahha! No Icehouse Tonight Bro. Pure Jb

tomustang
05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
and mechanics drive old cars lol.

I'm a mechanic, and my cruiser is down heh. My machines at work run faster and more efficient since I've been there though. :cool:

However my lawn looks good considering I have too much mixed grass types and a dog :D

doug1980
05-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Well this is what it looked like....oh how I miss my house...:(

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/DSCN7454.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/DSCN7459.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/DSCN7464.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/DSCN7483.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/DSCN7485.jpg

CHEESE2009
05-31-2009, 12:49 AM
My lawn is on steroids, the grass needs to be cut twice a week, I somehow manage that, wait I'm lying, it's ridiculous.

The weeding on the other hand, I hire someone to take care of it. I trimmed the hedges a few days ago, but I was seriously bored.

I'll post pictures soon. ... as soon as I patch up the holes the dogs had dug up. I hate them sometimes, can't they eat weeds instead of the precious grass? They even eat the seed I put down!!

picframer
05-31-2009, 06:02 AM
I like to think if it as a work in progress. I bought this property in 1987, it was fully of trees, just over 5 acres, front 1 1/2 acres was swampy, poor drainage, the trees are black spruce and there are/were hundreds.

Fill even back then was expensive, long story short I have put 400++ loads of fill in.

At one point we had a nice lawn on the septic field and around the front of the house, cinch bug hit it and it never recovered, at the time I had it sprayed. Money being what it is and a single income family I have always made sure the family had everything they needed and many things they wanted, the lawn was never a priority as it would take twenty to thirty grand to get it in shape.

About two years ago my son who was in grade 12 wanted to do some yard care type work so I bought a small tractor with a back hoe and loader, commercial mower etc. He did very well and I watched with great interest as my interest in the security company I owned part of was dying as it was too big.

I did start landscaping with the tractor last summer, figured the grass should be last, put a nice fire pit in, culverts in the driveway, built the driveway properly, bought 30 loads of fill and finished or expanded areas, started digging rocks and spent what I could afford on trees and a few flower gardens, three retaining walls etc.

This year when I decided in January to go after the Yard Care business full time and started buying the equipment, I started on the property with great zeal in April, plan was yard care 4 days a week, my yard one day, woodworking the other two, well that worked until the third week of April as the new business really took off.

So this past week I have been trying to come up with a balance, yard care has taken on a life of it's own and I find myself working 7 days a week, most days 12 hours, rain days do not matter as that is when we spray.

I decided to schedule less work per week and to make up for what I haven't done on my own property, schedule one day a week for every crew member to come in and work on my yard of one day a week, should look pretty good by mid July.

So that is the history, the excuse and the plan. At the moment the grass is a joke, everything is well laid out and graded properly, retaining walls are done, trees are planted so it's till what I have under, move about 150 large granite rocks that are left as I won't have to hire equipment, buy 15+ loade of top soil, sod etc.

Still have about 400 trees down from a hurricane a few years back that is also part of the plan, dunno I always seem to have so much to do and so little time, factor into that being a single father of two for a few years and having two teenagers very active in sports, one in the Canada Games and now the Olympics, making money has been the priority to keep things going and save for their University which in Canada has insane costs, $16,500 per year per child.

Anyhow, when I get something done worth looking at I will post.

Andy

jasonw
05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Mine I can not complain about to much. I just purchased this house in mid Nov/08 The front yard was dirt. I just put down 10lbs of seed "Way to much for the small yard" and started watering it. Now its mostly weeds with a little grass between but it gets watered and is green and for that matter greener than many of the yards in the neighborhood. I think the hardest thing to keep up on is we have a raised round bed in the lawn "about 4 blocks high" with a very nice tree and flowers and a pond. The pond is a nightmare maintaining. Our property is split in 2 sections by a 6 foot RW fence. The back is tore up. Only thing out back is the dove loft, chicken coup, dog and a lot of ATV tracks in the dead weeds. We do have one large flower bed, roses, grapes and trees out back that we care for but other than that it looks like the moon. Our dream is to one day have the entire property landscaped. This however is nothing compared to our ranch. It is located in an area that is always wet year round. We only visit the ranch about one week ever 2-3 years and when we do its a whole week of fixing coral fences, weed whacking everything and about 6 thousand trips to the burn pile with the tractor pulling a tailor full of pine needles.