PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Grass And Seeding

gogreenlc
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a yard that im about to seed with bermuda but it has some johnson grass growing in it now.. Do i need to seed or kill the johnson grass and how to kill it? How much should i charge for seeding 578 sq ft?

swstout
05-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a yard that im about to seed with bermuda but it has some johnson grass growing in it now.. Do i need to seed or kill the johnson grass and how to kill it? How much should i charge for seeding 578 sq ft?

I would till the area, roll it, spread the Bermuda seed, and then roll it again. 578 sq ft is only about a 20 x30 area. The Johnson grass will be buried and become humus whenit decomposes and Burmuda is an invasive grass. Any thet comes up will be taken over by the Burmuda. I say seed and then roll again because the Burmuda seed is so small an light that even a slight breeze will blow them away. Rolling tends to set them in the soil.

Steve

picframer
05-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I would till the area, roll it, spread the Bermuda seed, and then roll it again. 578 sq ft is only about a 20 x30 area. The Johnson grass will be buried and become humus whenit decomposes and Burmuda is an invasive grass. Any thet comes up will be taken over by the Burmuda. I say seed and then roll again because the Burmuda seed is so small an light that even a slight breeze will blow them away. Rolling tends to set them in the soil.

Steve

I do pretty much the same as Steve, we spray with our organic products when we seed, prior to rolling we put down 1 to 2" of screened Organic top dressing to give it a boost.

swstout
05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I do pretty much the same as Steve, we spray with our organic products when we seed, prior to rolling we put down 1 to 2" of screened Organic top dressing to give it a boost.

I also spray when I seed or sod. Sorry I missed that. It is so second nature now that just skipped over it.

Steve