PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a new State with a Business

doug1980
05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
So I have decided to start a small lawn care business while in AK but will be moving in July 2011, hopefully FL. or TX. My question is how complicated would it be to move with a business? How does that affect the taxes, ins, etc. Also After we move and if business grows my wife would like to branch out into the landscaping side and have a small nursery. So should I name it as if we have the landscaping and nursery now or wait and change the name later? Is changing names even a good idea?

Steve
05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
You can always change the name as you grow but if you have an idea of where you want to be in the future, why not create a name now that will reflect all that and then it will motivate you towards that direction.

As far as moving with a business, you will have to pay certain state taxes for the time you are in the different states. You will also have to re-register your name most likely in your new area so another company can't come in and use it.

swstout
05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
So I have decided to start a small lawn care business while in AK but will be moving in July 2011, hopefully FL. or TX. My question is how complicated would it be to move with a business? How does that affect the taxes, ins, etc. Also After we move and if business grows my wife would like to branch out into the landscaping side and have a small nursery. So should I name it as if we have the landscaping and nursery now or wait and change the name later? Is changing names even a good idea?

I moved from New York to South Carolina with little problems. In NY I had a small business teaching at Empire State University and a side tutoring math (statistics). I knew I would be doing other things in the future so I named my company Stout Services. When I built my website, I purchased the domain name of swstout.com. On your home page you can call it whatever you want. Mine is Stout Services Lawn Care Plus.

When you expand and your wife joins with you, all you have to do is add the service or services you want. Not having the domain name and your company name the same doesn't make much difference. I change my counter every other day at noon and received 51 hits yesterday by 10pm.

When you get to your new State you will have to get a business licence and they will set you up then with sales and income tax. As for insurance shop around when you get there.

Steve