PDA

View Full Version : Where I'm at and Vacant Lot Clean ups

lukus223
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Hello All,

Things are going a little better for me. No recurring weekly contracts, but have landed a few clean ups. Weekly lawn mowing is just too cheap around here. They want to pay $100 a month. Maybe I'm just getting the lowballers or maybe the market is just over saturdated with LCOs. Door hangers flopped, Craigslist has been good to me as far as getting calls, but all lowballers so far. My best paying work has come via google adwords. Pay-per click seems to work the best so far. I'm debating on Directmail Vs. Newspaper right now, what do you guys think? I'm all thinking of doing my own direct mail piece to all the real estate and property management companies, any one try that?

Something else that is popular in my area is vacant residental lots. Due to weed abatement laws they have to be mowed. Some have already come down and usually I see a guy with a tractor. I think I can tuff these out with a heavy line trimmer/brush cutter and my high wheeled push week wacker. Anyone do these? What do you charge? Most lots here are .25, .33, or .5 Acre.

Any comments or insights are appreciated!

Steve
05-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Lukus,

Who would you be targeting with your newspaper ads? The same group as the direct mail ads?

lukus223
05-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Lukus,

Who would you be targeting with your newspaper ads? The same group as the direct mail ads?

Hey Steve,

It's been awhile. The direct mail would be targeting new movers. Hoping to get the forclosure buyers(with neglected landscaping), new to the area folks, new home buyers, etc. I can do a single mailing for about $0.42 per household.

The newspaper has a very wide reach, much less targeted. I worked for the paper before and the fact of the matter is, they produce calls. My concern is that 15 of my competitors are already in the service section. The add runs about $165 to $220 a month. It's hard for me to justify the cost to be just another line ad in the paper with competitors above and below me. I do still have some pull at the paper so I might be able to negotiate placement.