PDA

View Full Version : please HELP ASAP

Grass Masters, LLC
05-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I just open my new landscaping business, I got 500 door hunger out and I Have not got a single call from anybody.each door hanger had an offer for each customer who signs 1 year agreement $20 visa gift card and %10 OFF there 1st month. I just can not believe I have not got any calls yet. Also wanted to ask about how to make an offer for commercial such as (apartment complex , shopping centers ,restaurants ...etc),should i mail them an offer , or what to do ? Thank you for you help

majoe7
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Grass Masters,
I'm not too sure where your location is but here in Florida our season is year round but really picks up May 1st. If a customer wanted to change out with there current LCO they would have been thinking of this in March/April. Our season is in full bloom now and the clients don’t like to change unless there is a real problem with the workmanship.

Secondly, I don't really believe in door hanger because most people think what the heck is this on my door and rip it off and toss it in the trash. Word of mouth is great. If you have friends, family, co-workers ask them if you can do their lawn. Grab a couple and then you have an in when searching for more clients. They see your work and are impressed, then they ask you to take a look at their house and maybe you can get a job from it. Be more resourceful in what you can offer. Look at the house and see how many services you can offer them. Be resilient and goods things will come.

John

CHEESE2009
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I just open my new landscaping business, I got 500 door hunger out and I Have not got a single call from anybody.each door hanger had an offer for each customer who signs 1 year agreement $20 visa gift card and %10 OFF there 1st month. I just can not believe I have not got any calls yet. Also wanted to ask about how to make an offer for commercial such as (apartment complex , shopping centers ,restaurants ...etc),should i mail them an offer , or what to do ? Thank you for you help

I don't recommend starting with commercials. Stick to residential.

Everyone here, as we've all understood, was that person to person communication is key to getting clients.

Make business cards with a blank back. Knock on doors & sell your service, ask them if they'd like you to give a free estimate (on the spot), if they say yes, write your estimate on the back of the card.

I also offer a referral program, the more customers one person gets me, the less they pay for lawn service. Try it out, forget gift cards, I tried that but it all really comes down to paying LESS for a service these days.

SuperiorPower
05-27-2009, 09:35 PM

Regarding the doorhangers, I recall seeing others post that they received about a 1-2% response rate. I believe they said handing out fliers and making in person contact with the postential customer seemed to be more effective because they tend to get a "feel" for you. I think this would be especially true for commercial jobs. I know if you were biddign on my property I would like the face to face time much better than trying to discuss this via telephone.

Good luck
Eli

swstout
05-27-2009, 09:53 PM

I tried door hangers of neighbors where I already did work. Got some results but I think I got the work because of the current customers referral rather than the door hanger.
The best results I have received other than referrals has been the local newspaper!

My second best source has been handing out magnetic business cards. I get them from Vista Print for (depending on their specials) $9.95 to $19.95 per 50. They always give a coupon for 25% off your next order. You hand them a business card; it goes in file 13. You hand them a magnetic business card it goes on their refrigerator.

I no longer post flyers. I keep some for hand out in person. If you put it in their hand they think they know you. You're not a blank face on the phone. I also work with Real Estate Companies. Set up a display (manned by you) at their open houses.

I also give referral bonuses to my customers and Real Estate Agents. 1 referral = a $10.00 Lowe's or WalMart Gift Certificates. 2 = $20.00, 3 = $30.00, 4 + $50.00, and 5=$100.00. This works. I do the lawn treatments for 4 agents now.

Steve

turfmaster
05-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Your starting to late for door hangers and definitely to late for commercial work.
Most people have their LCO'S locked up for the season by now. You may get a client who is disgruntled with their current LCO and wants a change. If I were you I would concentrate on other services. Get your foot in the door on a mulching or hedge trimming job. Give that customer your business card and remind them that you are a full service lawn care company and to keep you in mind for next season. This personal contact is much better than door hangers. As far as commercial jobs start knocking on doors this fall and early
spring. Most commercial accounts need to be in place weeks before the season starts. Find out who is in charge of grounds maintenance contracts and ask them if you can submit a bid.
Hope that helps.

TURF

Steve
05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Also wanted to ask about how to make an offer for commercial such as (apartment complex , shopping centers ,restaurants ...etc),should i mail them an offer , or what to do ? Thank you for you help

What is your view as to why you would like to bid on commercial properties now?

Quite often we see new lawn care business owners learn the ropes with residential clients first and then scale up to commercial. You can really lose your shirt on commercial properties if you bid them wrong. With residential, they can't really sink you unless you underbid many.

Also, do you have any scan of your door hanger so we could review it? Maybe there was something on there that would stand out to us as why it didn't work.

lukus223
05-28-2009, 12:40 PM

My door hangers were a bust too. Spent a lot of money for professianl design, full color printing and distrobution. Put out 1000 and got 1 call that turned into a 1 time job for $175. Most these folks are right, it's about getting jobs through people you know. Google adwords is by far the best advertising dollar I've spent. Don't give up and don't be too focused on getting weekly accounts. I haven't landed one, the only weekly's I've encountered are looking for the $15-$20 per cut, I won't do it. I have landed jobs doing clean ups for $175 to $500 and replacement of shrubs and Bark ($75 - $200).

andyjoneslawncare
05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I just posted on the "I blew up today" thread where we were talking about Craigslist but I think it might help here as well. Something to consider, however, is I'm fairly new and can't really compare different marketing strategies. I used to deliver Meals on Wheels and started mowing an elderly lady's yard for free, and ended up getting 2 paid accounts from it. This got me thinking, since I'm not as busy as I'd like to be yet, I started offering free yard care for elderly/disabled people who can't afford it. This is my Craigslist ad.
"Hi, my name is Andy of Andy Jones Lawn Care. I provide reliable, professional lawn service for a beautiful, hassle free yard you'll love, at a price you will love too! Whether you need a one time cleanup or year round service, you can always afford the best lawn service in Sarasota. Don't spend your valuable weekends taking care of your yard! I'm very flexible and can accomodate many odd jobs, schedules, etc. Just let me know what I can do for you and I'll give you a free quote, as well as many references so you can hire me with confidence. Also, if you know someone who is elderly or disabled and can't afford lawn care, let me know the situation and, time permitting, I'll gladly take care of the yard for FREE with no catch, no sales pitch, and no tip accepted. We all have to do what we can, right? Whether you'd like a free quote or you know someone that needs help, call me at 941.879.3011 or email me at ajones1217@live.com. Thanks, Andy "
I get at least 1 or 2 legit calls or emails or new accounts every time I post it (once a week or so). People like to support businesses that help the community. The free yards I do are the most appreciative, wonderful people and its really a joy to help them, and they'll always be your biggest, loudest voices advertising to all of their family and friends for you. You'd get more business from mowing free for 2 hours a week than handing out door hangers for 2 hours, and if you don't get any new clients, you helped someone out instead of just wasting paper. Think about it. Talk about setting yourself apart! I don't get low-balled much either, maybe because the clients know I'm doing free work to help others. Another option is a group that mows yards for vets while they're away. I forget what they're called but I found them on this forum somewhere.