PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new Company

chamblee
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
My Name is Jonathan I live just north of Birmingham, Alabama. I am 25 years old, Married to my wife of 5 years Melissa, and have a one year old son Jaxon.

I basically got started wanting to do lawn care when a disabled lady from our church needed some flowers moved around in her yard and a new planting bed built. Well she started complaining about her lawn care guy and says she wishes she could get someone else, well I asked how much do you pay him and she said $50 every two weeks, well I said I would handle. It was 50 extra dollars and at the time I was unemployed. Well I am up to 5 customers now and hoping things keep growing.

I am about to go back to school to get a degree in history education and horticulture. I want to teach along with my company so I can have a pretty good retirement

Steve
05-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Jon,

Welcome to our forum!

That is a great start so far.

What kinds of things have you been doing to attract new customers?

chamblee
05-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Well so far it has been word of mouth, but I have put out about 100 or so flyers, but I got no calls from them. I am about to put an ad in a local shoppers paper that has a service section and see how that goes.

And Thanks for the site Steve there is a ton a great stuff on the site.

Steve
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I am glad it's been helpful. Have you experimented with craigslist yet too? That might be a good way of reaching out to local community members.

chamblee
05-30-2009, 08:51 AM
not yet but yesterday I listed a weight bench on there and have received like 20 emails so I am going to do that for sure now. What section would you suggest listing it under.

Steve
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I think there is one for home services.