PDA

View Full Version : Mulch thickness?

rawssrob
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I am doing a mulching job for an appartment complex. I was trying to decide how thick I should lay it. The landscape has no existing mulch. should I lay it at 3 in. or less like 2.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I am doing a mulching job for an appartment complex. I was trying to decide how thick I should lay it. The landscape has no existing mulch. should I lay it at 3 in. or less like 2.

A few factors such as type of mulch, type of bed, and reason for mulching determine how thick you should mulch.

As a general rule of thumb:

3" of mulch in shrub and flower beds
2" of mulch around trees

Keith
Lawn Care Business (http://www.startalawncarebusiness.com)

turfmaster
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
On a new bed (no existing mulch) I usually lay it a little heavier 3-4" and on existing beds 2" to freshen up and like Keith says 2" around trees.

TURF

ritchiem
05-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I always lay on about 3-5 inches of fresh mulch for new beds. If I am putting mulch in a bed with old mulch I always turn the mulch first then add 2 inches to freshen it up. But again it depends on the mulch too. Cocobean mulch would require much less to cover where as a heavy shredded Cedar bark mulch require more.

rawssrob
05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the help you guys. I have one other question that you may be able to help me with. The cost of materials for the job is going to be around 600 dollars. Is charging about as much for labor as material normal. This is a first for me and I would like to price the job competively. Ill be spredding 13 yards of mulch over 26 small places. also will be putting in plastic edging.
Any comments would be appreciated.

ritchiem
05-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Don't know if it helps...but I charge $120.00 per yard of Cedar Mulch; Supplied, Delivered and Installed.