PDA

View Full Version : Here we grow again....

picframer
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
I was thinking of that slogan on the way home tonight, I forget what store it is whenever they open a new location that is their advertisement.

Anyhow we added another excavator this morning, been waiting on this for two weeks, did it's first job today, what a sweet working unit and super fast at moving dirt, I will post a pic tomorrow but I pulled one stump that was half the size of small car, was really surprised.

Has an 11 foot reach, will dig 10 feet deep and can lift 5,860 pounds, has a three syl Yanmar diesel, thet are an amazing engine, most of the boats here on the coast use them as they are trouble free.

I get one more day with it until I hand it over to one of the employees, we hired three that are taking Heavy Equipment at the community college as one needs some experience under their belt to operate these.

Andy

justin_time
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice machine

John Deere dealer must smile when they see you coming lol

swstout
05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Are you growing fast enough?

Nice machine!

Soon, you'll no longer be a small business!

Steve

picframer
05-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Are you growing fast enough?

Nice machine!

Soon, you'll no longer be a small business!

Steve

I think we are growing faster than the grass.....

That is it for this year, no more growth, machines or employees as it's getting to the point where the fun is going away as I am working 12 to 15 hours a day trying to keep up with everything that is going on. Almost a full time job answering emails on the blackberry which is not what I want to be doing, sitting on one of the machines is one of the main reasons I got into this.

Yes John Deere loves to see me coming but they use me like gold, pretty much anything I need they are there even if it's to borrow a machine for a day, they never question it, just take it and when you are done bring it back, the store here is super to deal with, it's rare one sees a team as tight as they are.

Andy

swstout
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I have 3 cell phones from 3 different carriers. The best signal I get is 3 bars from a local company. AT&t gives me 1 bar at best and Verizon is even worse. I wish I could get better coverage (I know be careful of what you wish for, you might get it). Verizon is supposed to put a tower here in July.

Steve

picframer
05-27-2009, 04:28 AM
I have 3 cell phones from 3 different carriers. The best signal I get is 3 bars from a local company. AT&t gives me 1 bar at best and Verizon is even worse. I wish I could get better coverage (I know be careful of what you wish for, you might get it). Verizon is supposed to put a tower here in July.

Steve

Depending on where I am working, sometimes the Cell does not work at all, we do a lot of work in a subdivision called Halburton Hills, the main Power Grid for the province runs through the middle, if I am within 5,000 feet of those lines forget cell.

I and all the employees carry Blackberries, I have to have email and these units have paid for themselves many times over, we win jobs almost daily by quick response.

Consider one carrier, they will set you up with a pooled busiess plan, saves you $$$$..

Andy

swstout
05-27-2009, 08:40 AM
My wife has a cell phone from her work - Verizon that has zero service for about half the area around here.

We both have AT&T - I get 1 bar for most of the area here.

I have SC Cell and can get 3 bars. Just basic service. You have to buy minutes for it but at least I can get and send calls.

In July Verizon/Altel is erecting towers in the area and we will switch to them then. Free calls 7p to 6a, weekends and hollidays. "My Circle" which allows free calls to 20 numbers no matter what service.

Steve

Steve
05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
That looks like a fantastic addition!

Can you tell us what kind of jobs you would use that for or how you plan on marketing it's services?

turfmaster
05-27-2009, 11:51 AM
My wife has a cell phone from her work - Verizon that has zero service for about half the area around here.

We both have AT&T - I get 1 bar for most of the area here.

I have SC Cell and can get 3 bars. Just basic service. You have to buy minutes for it but at least I can get and send calls.

In July Verizon/Altel is erecting towers in the area and we will switch to them then. Free calls 7p to 6a, weekends and hollidays. "My Circle" which allows free calls to 20 numbers no matter what service.

Steve

Steve is U.S. CELLULAR in your area?
I have 5 phones with free incoming calls and free long distance after 7 pm
on weekends.
We even called home from the Carribean this past winter on a cell phone.

TURF

turfmaster
05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I think we are growing faster than the grass.....

That is it for this year, no more growth, machines or employees as it's getting to the point where the fun is going away as I am working 12 to 15 hours a day trying to keep up with everything that is going on. Almost a full time job answering emails on the blackberry which is not what I want to be doing, sitting on one of the machines is one of the main reasons I got into this.

Yes John Deere loves to see me coming but they use me like gold, pretty much anything I need they are there even if it's to borrow a machine for a day, they never question it, just take it and when you are done bring it back, the store here is super to deal with, it's rare one sees a team as tight as they are.

Andy

Andy I have got to say your company is an inspiration for a lot of us small business owners especially in this current economic climate.
I don't know if the Canadian economy is as bad as the U.S. but regardless
your growth is phenomonal. I do enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from
them.

TURF

picframer
05-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Andy I have got to say your company is an inspiration for a lot of us small business owners especially in this current economic climate.
I don't know if the Canadian economy is as bad as the U.S. but regardless
your growth is phenomonal. I do enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from
them.

TURF

I don't think we were hit near as hard as the USA, for the most part it's been business as usual except for the auto industry. I do however have coffee in the mornings with many contractors, some in our business, some construction etc. I would say the majority are having a hard time making ends meet, I don't say much about how well we are doing as I don't want them to feel bad. They do notice the new gear I have and I suspect it must be on their mind.

Thank you for your kind comments, this is all about helping each other out. I know we do good work, our rates are higher than many but we still seem to get the work, there isn't a day go by I don't get at least three requests for quotes from people I don't even know. The only advertising is in a paper for the area 85% of our business is in.

Steve, I won't market the excavator separately, my tractors can do just about everything it can however it is probably three times as fast and can lift about 1,400 pounds more than the tractors can. Granite is everywhere here so you need lifting power.

What I love is with the push of a button the track retracts in and I can drive through a 36" gate, can't do that with the tractors and it has cost us some business.

On Monday of this week the area below was solid trees, the tree crew went in and cut/chipped everything, then I went at it with two tractors then started with the backhoe yesterday, all I have left to do is build the rock wall, spread top soil, roll, seed and spray. This was a $9,450.00 contract and I had bid 9 days to do it, we will be finished late tomorrow if the weather holds, the excavator saved us more than four days, the tree crew worked late two nights without being asked and I had two tractors and the excavator there all day today.

The homeowner is super happy, both of his neighbours have asked for quotes, I did one today and the fellow accepted on the spot, this is great as I don't have to move the machines.

andyjoneslawncare
05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
As far as the cell phone topic goes, every area is different, but MetroPCS is in my area, and after using sprint, att, and verizon, I got metropcs because I've never once lost reception, and my total bill is $61/month including taxes, fees, etc. Thats unlimited minutes, unlimited long distance, unlimited texting, unlimited web, unlimited picture messaging, unlimited emailing, voicemail, and all that call forwarding/ 3 way calling stuff I never use. They don't have service everywhere in the US, but there are no 2 year plans or anything. It cut my bill at least in half and I don't get suprised with $350 bills when I accidentally go over my minutes. Check them out if its available in your area. They don't have the biggest phone selection but they have the Razor and a new one that's touch screen with all the toys to compete with the iphone. Obviously, I don't even have a home phone. I'm not sure what I'd use it for. Andy
PS, No, I don't work for MetroPCS, I just feel like I stumbled on a great deal so I tell everyone about it. Hopefully, my clients do the same for me!!