PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

doug1980
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
The Lawn Care/Maintenance world is not all that new to me but running a business is. I had my own pest control and lawn maintenance business for a summer but it was a side thing with only 3 customers and cash only, not exactly the proper way. My plan is to get into mowing, trimming, edging and blowing. Want to buy 1 riding mower, 2 push mowers, 2 trimmers, 1 backpack blower, and 1 edger. Of course get a trailer as well. I also want to get my certification, again, to apply herbicides and fertilizer. Later if it goes well I want to branch out into landscaping and the wife wants to try a small nursery set-up as well. Do you think this is too ambitious? On the business side all I know to do is get a tax number from the IRS, get insured and any certifications I may need and I'm set, right? Of course each area and State is different, Central Florida is where I'm shooting for. Anyone there got any tips, tricks or advise for a newbie?

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Doug:

Welcome to the forum. Are you moving from AK to FL?

Your description doesn't sound too ambitious at all. I do have a question though. Why are you buying a riding mower? Are you talking about the "typical" riding lawn mowers they sell at Sears or Wal-Mart? The huge turning radius of riding mowers completely kills your efficiency. You will be better served by a commercial grade low turning radius style mower. I've always felt a commercial grade walkbehind is the most utilitarian lawn mower for a beginning lawn care business.

Good luck:

Keith
Start A Lawn Care Business (http://www.startalawncarebusiness.com)

doug1980
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Well currenty my wife is Active Duty A.F and we hope to get Patrick AFB (Cocoa Beach) after here. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale many years ago and love FL. So if all goes well that is where we will go. If not Texas is an alternative location.

I was thinking of a zero turn rider of some kind. Never gave much thought into the commercial walk-behinds. However that does sound cheaper and more efficient. I plan to stay a one man crew for quite some time and maybe hire seasonal help as needed. Not really looking to get rich if I could take home 3-4K a month after taxes/overhead and all that I would be happy. I am having some trouble figuring out what I should charge. (by sq. footage/hourly/etc)

Steve
05-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Doug,

I am having some trouble figuring out what I should charge. (by sq. footage/hourly/etc)

Did you experiment with the estimators and calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) yet?