PDA

View Full Version : An entrepreneur with fake rocks in his head

Steve
04-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Here is a great example of how you need to keep your eyes open and jump on opportunities as they arise. Stuart did just that. He was landscaper and then saw an opportunity to make and sell fake rocks. Now his company has annual sales of $5 million dollars! You could do this too.

Keep thinking!

Business Network (http://businessnetwork.smh.com.au/articles/2006/04/20/4441.html) - In the early '90s the then 26-year-old Sydney self-employed landscaper visited the Magic Kingdom in Los Angeles. His eyes light up and he still sounds excited when he describes his "turning point".

"I looked at those amazing backdrops and landscapes and I swore I would learn how to do this," he says.

A self-confessed rock lover, Dunne wanted to reproduce the realistic looking artificial rocks for Australian gardens.

"It gives us the ability to landscape as it is in the bush," he explains. "Real rocks can be too big and restrictive."

And there was a market: within a decade his Universal Rocks company had grown to boast annual sales of $5 million.

His life-long love of landscaping began when he left school and took a job with the local council. He soon grabbed the opportunity to buy a lawn-mowing business with a co-worker for $10,000.

A year later they sold the mowing side and Dunne concentrated on landscaping because of his "passion for creating gardens". After the fateful trip to Disneyland he began his quest to reproduce the perfect rock.