PDA

View Full Version : What mower

doug1980
05-26-2009, 01:14 AM
What would be the most versitile all-around mower to buy? For average to large yard. Zero turn? Tractor? What brand? How large of a cut?

turfmaster
05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
What would be the most versitile all-around mower to buy? For average to large yard. Zero turn? Tractor? What brand? How large of a cut?

If this is your 1st commercial mower and you can only afford one, I would say a walk behind with a hydro transmission with a 48" deck and a sulky.
This is the least expensive way to go and pretty much covers what your looking for. The sulky will spare your legs on the larger lawns.

Personally I have a mower for every application.
Toro ZMaster 62" deck.
Great Dane Stander 52" deck
Wright Stander 36" deck
Lesco Walk behind 48" deck
Lawn Boy 22" deck

I really like the Standers and so do my helpers for average sized yards.
You don't feel as tired at the end of the day as you do with a walk behind.
Whatever you decide to buy make sure a nearby dealer will service you. :D

doug1980
05-28-2009, 03:00 PM
If this is your 1st commercial mower and you can only afford one, I would say a walk behind with a hydro transmission with a 48" deck and a sulky.
This is the least expensive way to go and pretty much covers what your looking for. The sulky will spare your legs on the larger lawns.

Personally I have a mower for every application.
Toro ZMaster 62" deck.
Great Dane Stander 52" deck
Wright Stander 36" deck
Lesco Walk behind 48" deck
Lawn Boy 22" deck

I really like the Standers and so do my helpers for average sized yards.
You don't feel as tired at the end of the day as you do with a walk behind.
Whatever you decide to buy make sure a nearby dealer will service you. :D

Thanks for the tip. Would it be better to get a floating deck as well?

turfmaster
05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the tip. Would it be better to get a floating deck as well?

Not necessarily.
If you get one that comes with a floating deck great . I have got both and my fixed decks on my Wright and Great Dane cut just as good as my Toro and Lesco which have floating decks.
I mow at 3 to 3 1/2 inches all the time anyways so scalping is not a problem.

TURF

doug1980
05-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Well so far this is the equipment I'm thinking of getting... A nice self propelled 21" mower, leaning towards a (Toro 20092 Personal Pace.) I have the trimmer (Stihl FS 90R) edger (Stihl FC 90) and blower (Stihl BG 86) picked out, and maybe the (Toro 30986, fixed deck hydro drive.) Oh and of course a trailer, either 5'x8 or 6'x12.

Of course the only thing I could use up here is the 21" push mower. The average yard is only 1,600 sq. ft.

turfmaster
05-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Well so far this is the equipment I'm thinking of getting... A nice self propelled 21" mower, leaning towards a (Toro 20092 Personal Pace.) I have the trimmer (Stihl FS 90R) edger (Stihl FC 90) and blower (Stihl BG 86) picked out, and maybe the (Toro 30986, fixed deck hydro drive.) Oh and of course a trailer, either 5'x8 or 6'x12.

Of course the only thing I could use up here is the 21" push mower. The average yard is only 1,600 sq. ft.

I am running the same Stihl trimmer and blower and love them.
If you can swing it get a Toro Proline instead of the Personal Pace.
Also go to a 6x12 trailer right away you won't regret it. :)

doug1980
05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I am running the same Stihl trimmer and blower and love them.
If you can swing it get a Toro Proline instead of the Personal Pace.
Also go to a 6x12 trailer right away you won't regret it. :)

Stihl is the best...well at least in chainsaws. I was a lumberjack for 8 years and used the same saw every day, still have it. So I figured I would stay with that brand, I hear echo is good as well. What is the difference between the Personal Pace and Proline mower?
Yeah I hear with trailers (bigger is always better):D

SuperiorPower
05-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Stihl is the best...well at least in chainsaws.

I suppose this is a matter of opinion!!! Stihl undoubtedly is not "junk", I just would not consider them the best, though they likely are close behind the leaders.

Just curious, what model did you use?

From my perspective, as a mechanic of 15+ years, let me just say, I am not convinced at all that Stihl is the best saw brand, not even in Logging saws. Are they decent? Sure. They would not be in business if they were not. I know someone who purchased a new Jonsered 2095 while he was employed by a diehard Stihl fan who owned several 066s. This was back before hte switch over to the MS model # series. The 2095 (when it was still available) had almost the exact same size engine as the 066 and according to the owner, who was used to using the 066, the 2095 had MORE power, was LIGHTER, better BALANCE and MUCH QUIETER. Plus, the air filter stayed clean for weeks at a time. Husqvarna are very similar to the Jonsered but the Jonsered seem to be heavier duty than the Husqvarna.

Regarding trimmers and blowers, I am far from convinced that Stihl is even a top contender. Again, apparently they make a decent product (just ask the diehard and mislead Stihl fans on this forum!!!) but there must be a reason that Shindaiwa, Redmax, and Echo are the highly acclaimed winners in the trimmer and blower lineup. Shindaiwa and Echo have partnered up to design and market products together and thus I beleive you will see some of their products look similar. And if anything, this will only make the products better since they can now take the good from both and make a better product.

Let me kow which model you had.1

SuperiorPower
05-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Stihl is the best...well at least in chainsaws.

I suppose this is a matter of opinion!!! Stihl undoubtedly is not "junk", I just would not consider them the best, though they lik.ely are close behind the leaders.

Just curious, what model did you use?

From my perspective, as a mechanic of 15+ years, let me just say, I am not convinced at all that Stihl is the best saw brand, not even in Logging saws. Are they decent? Sure. They would not be in business if they were not. I know someone who purchased a new Jonsered 2095 while he was employed by a diehard Stihl fan who owned several 066s. This was back before hte switch over to the MS model # series. The 2095 (when it was still available) had almost the exact same size engine as the 066 and according to the owner, who was used to using the 066, the 2095 had MORE power, was LIGHTER, better BALANCE and MUCH QUIETER. Plus, the air filter stayed clean for weeks at a time. Husqvarna are very similar to the Jonsered but the Jonsered seem to be heavier duty than the Husqvarna.

Regarding trimmers and blowers, I am far from convinced that Stihl is even a top contender. Again, apparently they make a decent product (just ask the diehard and mislead Stihl fans on this forum!!!) but there must be a reason that Shindaiwa, Redmax, and Echo are the highly acclaimed winners in the trimmer and blower lineup. Shindaiwa and Echo have partnered up to design and market products together and thus I beleive you will see some of their products look similar. And if anything, this will only make the products better since they can now take the good from both and make a better product.

Let me kow which model you had.1

doug1980
05-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I used a MS 066 and still have it...runs like a champ. We had a few husky's too but I prefered the Stihl...personal preference I guess. I also own a MS 290 Farm Boss, a 21 and 17 older ones but still run. They work well for me and as with all things there is always something better. But since I haven't really used anything else I choose not to knock someone for using another brand. If it works for you then it is good enough.

SuperiorPower
05-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Yea the 066 is a heck of a saw.

But I gotta kid all these Stihl fans every once in a while!!! I know that Stihl is a good brand and all. Each brand tends to specialize in one or two sectors of the market. For example, look at Jonsered, they are basically caterng to the logging community, Shindaiwa, Echo, and Redmax (among others) to the landscaping community, and Stihl seems to have their finger in just about everything. I suspect (and it is only my suspicion) that with having their finger in everything it is like the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none". Now don't get me wrong, like I said, they are good, I personally, and it is just me personally, do not believe they are the best. At least not the best in all sectors. But they are not "junk" or hundreds of good dealers would not be carrying the brand.

But I will have to give it to Stihl, they are some innovative people! I like a lot of their innovative ideas. Just look at the side chain adjuster. They revolutionized the chain saw industry with that. Or the single control for choke/ignition switch on chain saws. Many manufacturers are coming up with something similar so in my opinion they revolutionized that design for the sector. There are a few designs I am not so proud of but I am sure they had their reasons and if they told me what the reasons were, I might agree with them. Plus, one thing I LOVE about Stihl is that they only sell through servicing dealers. No Homedepot, no Lowes, No walmart. Only servicing dealers. This also helps promote a good name for them since some inexperienced kid off the street is not the one selling them a saw or trimmer at HomeDepot.

So enjoy your Stihl equipment. And don't let me hinder your enjoyment! :D