PDA

View Full Version : Best way to invoice customers

KurtisCummings
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Okay question -

What is the best way to charge customers?

1) Send an invoice after each cut, then add all invoices up for the month and send them a statement, requiring them to pay at the end of the month

or

2) Send a statement at the beginning of the month, & have the customer pre-pay for the month, for say 4 sessions, and if need be, send additional invoices as needed

What are you guys doing right now? How are you making the Gopher Software work for you?

swstout
05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Okay question -

What is the best way to charge customers?

1) Send an invoice after each cut, then add all invoices up for the month and send them a statement, requiring them to pay at the end of the month

or

2) Send a statement at the beginning of the month, & have the customer pre-pay for the month, for say 4 sessions, and if need be, send additional invoices as needed

What are you guys doing right now? How are you making the Gopher Software work for you?

I use Gofer software for invoicing but if they want to pay by credit card I use PayPal Invoice (not paypal checkout) The cost is 2.9% + $0.30. PayPal emails them the invoice. They pay PayPal. I request money from PayPal and the direct deposit the money in my account as soon as the next day.

If they don't pay via PayPal, I print up an invoice to be delivered when the job is done by the worker who does the job. If no one is home, they put the invoice in a plastic bag and leave it on their door.

Monthly statements (or thank you notes for those who have paid) are sent out the last day of the month. Upsells are handled the same way.

Steve

KurtisCummings
05-25-2009, 11:22 PM
When are you making your invoices due? How long do they have to make payment?

KurtisCummings
05-25-2009, 11:24 PM
What payment solution did you select when signing up for PayPal Business?

Website Payment Standard
Website Payments Pro
Virtual Terminal
PayPal as an Addtl. Payment Option
e-Mail Payments
Payflow Gateway

swstout
05-26-2009, 02:24 AM
When are you making your invoices due? How long do they have to make payment?

Payment due upon receipt!

Steve

swstout
05-26-2009, 02:26 AM

Website Payment Standard
Website Payments Pro
Virtual Terminal
e-Mail Payments
Payflow Gateway

Website Payment Standard

Steve

picframer
05-26-2009, 05:30 AM
I email an invoice or I should say the software does, to the customer two days before the service, in the comments field it states, we will be at your property on the date shown on this invoice, it would be appreciated if you could have payment ready for us. Some clients are planning holidays, they either pay in advance or leave credit card information with us and we bill the morning of the service.

I would guess 95% +/- of clients have the payment ready, some call and use their credit card, bottom line is the crew doesn't leave until paid. Some clients leave payment in a specified place, we have a place that works for everyone.

Our receivables are NIL and have been since I started.

Andy

SimplyBySage
06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Andy,

That's a great suggestion on how you deal with your Receivable invoices and I've spoken to a lot of other clients who use a similar setup that you've outlined. Some users like to export their invoices to PDF format and then email to their customers. You can read how to do this in this blog:

justin_time
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM

Website Payment Standard
Website Payments Pro
Virtual Terminal
e-Mail Payments
Payflow Gateway

I'm using e-mail payments right now, so far so good.

ritchiem
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
A good way to invoice and have money coming in the door...well this is the way I do it.

My contracts get billed out on the 15th of every month 'Net 15 days'

My time and material get billed out on the 30th, 31st of every month 'Net 15 days'

picframer
06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Andy,

That's a great suggestion on how you deal with your Receivable invoices and I've spoken to a lot of other clients who use a similar setup that you've outlined. Some users like to export their invoices to PDF format and then email to their customers. You can read how to do this in this blog:

Actually Simply accounting uses a third party, Billing Boss, basically I prepare an invoice in Simply, hit the email icon, and it sends it to Billing Boss which is turn converts it to PDF and asks me if it is ok to mail.

Fresh Cut
01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I am using Simply Accounting, I email an invoice or I should say the software does, to the customer two days before the service, in the comments field it states, we will be at your property on the date shown on this invoice, it would be appreciated if you could have payment ready for us. Some clients are planning holidays, they either pay in advance or leave credit card information with us and we bill the morning of the service.

I would guess 95% +/- of clients have the payment ready, some call and use their credit card, bottom line is the crew doesn't leave until paid. Some clients leave payment in a specified place, we have a place that works for everyone.

Our receivables are NIL and have been since I started.

Andy

So all your clients give you their email addresses? What if they don't wanna give me that info?
I'd love to have my operation streamlined like that.

I'm thinking about getting a receipt book made with my logo on it so I'll be able to write receipts to new customers while I'm in the field. This would be for when neighbors see me and want me to cut their yard too, I wanna be able to write a receipt right then and there. So I'll leave them with something with my company info on it and so I'll have a record of every yard that I put my equipment on and every dollar I earn!

But as for the regular clients, I'm not sure how to do it. I know printing invoices and snail-mailing 'em takes time and resources that I wouldn't have to sacrifice if I could email everybody, but I don't wanna seem too big for the little people or too intrusive (everybody is already bombarded by spam) for people that just want their yard cut.

Right now I'm using "Bid-n-Invoice Lawn Care". This software is very basic, but I can't afford the Gopher software at all right now.

What y'all suggest?

fieroboi
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I use the gopher software and bill for the present month at the beginning of the month with 14 days to pay. That way if someone doesn't pay, I discontinue service on the property mid month. I also give the option for clients to pay with post dated cheques, which many have taken advantage of, it also makes for a much better cash flow.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

XtreemGreen
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
For emailing invoices..I use a software built into my website that will automatically send an invoice everymonth.. My website also has a support system built in as well.. Ive only used it a couple times since I left the lawn business last summer..

If you guys want the names of the software, Just send me a PM and Ill get onto my server to see what the names are again..

picframer
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
So all your clients give you their email addresses? What if they don't wanna give me that info?

It's up to them, I already have their credit card info or staff will receive a cheque when they arrive, no exceptions, email has advantages as they can store invoices and receipts in a folder.

If you don't want to give me your email, add a buck to the service and we will mail a receipt each week or every month but it's a pain and I don't have time nor do the staff.

The exception is excavation and tree clearing clients, I have a whole ofther system for them however we run a pretty good size operation and my receivables are zip and always have been.

Keep in mind on the lawncare side and spraying, I would guess 80 percent is from the website/word of mouth or one of my cards that are specific to your needs, so you will email me at some point as I hate taking calls on sites and driving, email me, it will come through and then we all have a record.