PDA

View Full Version : I blew up today.

CHEESE2009
05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I wake up, ready to test out the new trailer, prepared to have a stress less day.

I check out the trailer & it looks as though it's leaking oil... I was confused wondering WHY it would be leaking anything. I said f' it, I'll do it old school & put the mower in the bed of the truck with all my tools.

My gas can is EMPTY because my step father needed to borrow it, but never filled it back up. Instead he filled up my MIX container, I only figured this out later when I thought my blower & trimmer were busted because they wouldn't start.

So without knowing he changed my mix around, I was frustrated doing my first lawn. I mowed the front & needed to bag... I dumped the grass in the bag-in the can, & pulled it out.. Surprise! A hole was in the bottom of the bag & the grass flew all over the place!

My step father borrowed my bags, & left me with just enough to do my customers lawns for the day. And instead of tearing the lining to separate the bags, he used an exacto blade which tore holes in the bottom of all of them.

So I drove to the store and bought new bags, & came back to my customers lawn with my old trimmer.

I start up the trimmer & right away the head randomly flies off & lands in dog crap, literally stuck in it.

I took my new $80.00 headphones and smashed them on the ground into several pieces. Went back to the truck & thought of everyone on the forum who has had a worse experience, & I got back out there & did the best I could.

The day is now overrrrr! :o

THE WORST PART;

My trailer didn't have a leak... Guess what it was? SITTING GRASS DECOMPOSING, it dripped through the wood all around the tires. I laughed so hard & went to my friends for a drink.

justin_time
05-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Had similar day before my trip to Winnipeg.

While I had 2 schools to do and customers.

I happen to hit a piece of cement in the schoolyard and it bent the shaft/mower blade.

So i started using my self propel mower and the self propelled was acting up so i ended up finishing the school with the 2nd push mower.

Got back home, tried my other self propelled and it worked again, go figure

tomustang
05-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Remember to never borrow out your work tools to anyone, even family members. :cool:

CHEESE2009
05-25-2009, 10:33 PM
family is the worst.

I come to mow my step fathers lawn, he decides to help out, alright.

I mow, he trims...

I'm done mowing, he's done doing the worst trimming job I have ever seen, I ignore it and appreciate his "help".

Then I go inside for a second to get a drink, & he's now decided to use my blower. I don't mind, he likes my awesome tools he can try em'

The only problem is, this man literally drained my hand held blower which was full. How can someone possibly do this? It doesn't make sense because I've done a spring cleanup, so what could he be doing?

He tells me, "I was trying to get rid of the weeds"

............ with my -blower-

It's alright, it was actually pretty funny. He owes me $175.00 June 1st, lets see if I actually get it. Worst customer ever. lol.

A NEW QUESTION!

How do you feel when your mowing a paying customers lawn, & their neighbor just stares at you with their mower, not doing anything. It's like they are waiting for you to mow for them? I usually tell them they could always hire me, but nah, they just like to make me feel guilty.

Steve
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM
How do you feel when your mowing a paying customers lawn, & their neighbor just stares at you with their mower, not doing anything. It's like they are waiting for you to mow for them?

Maybe they are just in awe :)

CHEESE2009
05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
LOL.

Steve I swear if we lived near each other, you'd be the guy I'd be playing Xbox with for years to come.

I can't even afford an Xbox lol.... Last game console I had was.... a playstation... it frustrated me more than today

CHEESE2009
05-26-2009, 02:11 AM
I received a call earlier from Ontario. A company has contacted me & tried to push their services on me, to build me a website. Craigslist has me by the balls now, I knew it would come to this!

First I have some guy wanting a good time, & now ANOTHER company wants me to trust them with a website, "I'm sure you are too busy to maintain a website"

I said, "listen, I've heard this before & I'll tell you how it is. Lawn Maintenance, what can you possibly do for me, that would make me want to pay $80.00 a month?"

He said they'd create & run my site, bla bla, you can design a site & send it to us to host

I said,

"so I'm probably too busy to work on a website, which I'm not, you want $80.00 a month, which your not getting. So how about we end this conversation & instead of calling me, why don't you make your own company website so if one day I give a damn & I need site, I will contact you. Until then, stop calling my phone, that's where my $80.00 will be going."

andyjoneslawncare
05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Yep, craigslist is great because its free, and I do get accounts from it, but I get so many calls and emails from non-potential clients its unreal. Without fail, I get emails about someone out of the country who is returning soon and will send their driver to pick me up if I'd clean the house and take care of the yard before they arrive. Ever get that one? They want to deposit $500 in my account or something? Then the referral people call, which isn't always a bad thing I guess, and then people with other websites want me to advertise with them and finally offers for a stay at home business that will make me rich in a week. Any of this sound familiar? Fortunately, I usually get a new account or at least 1 or 2 real calls or emails every time I advertise on it. Today I just got a lady with 2 small lots next to each other that I'll be doing for $130/month and 2 weeks ago I got a single home for $100/month and got $500 for sprucing it up for a renter. I don't have much cash right now to advertise so free is always good, despite the headaches. Andy

turfmaster
05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Your lucky you get that much work from Craigs list.
All I ever got was the cheap a**sses or weirdos .
In my area their are a few legit company's advertising on Craigs List maybe 1% :eek:

andyjoneslawncare
05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Since things are still kind of slow for me until I get more accounts, I offer free lawn care to seniors or disabled people who can't afford it. I used to deliver Meals on Wheels and met an old lady who couldn't afford lawn care and when I did it for free, she told her neighbors and relatives and I got 2 paying accounts out of it. I just kind of write it off as an advertising expense and even if it doesn't translate into cash, these people really appreciate it a lot, so if I have the time, its a win-win. Think of it this way, I'll probably get more accounts by donating 2 hours a week mowing for free than if I spent 2 hours delivering door hangers, and there's no satisfaction in door hangers, you know? Anyway, that may be the reason I get response from my CL ad. Here it is. I know it could use improvement, and I tweak it every now and then.
"Hi, my name is Andy of Andy Jones Lawn Care. I provide reliable, professional lawn service for a beautiful, hassle free yard you'll love, at a price you will love too! Whether you need a one time cleanup or year round service, you can always afford the best lawn service in Sarasota. Don't spend your valuable weekends taking care of your yard! I'm very flexible and can accomodate many odd jobs, schedules, etc. Just let me know what I can do for you and I'll give you a free quote, as well as many references so you can hire me with confidence. Also, if you know someone who is elderly or disabled and can't afford lawn care, let me know the situation and, time permitting, I'll gladly take care of the yard for FREE with no catch, no sales pitch, and no tip accepted. We all have to do what we can, right? Whether you'd like a free quote or you know someone that needs help, call me at 941.879.3011 or email me at ajones1217@live.com. Thanks, Andy "
I put it in the household services section. I know its not perfect, but I am getting responses, and I think people feel good about using a business that's helping the comunity.

turfmaster
05-29-2009, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=andyjoneslawncare;52217]Since things are still kind of slow for me until I get more accounts, I offer free lawn care to seniors or disabled people who can't afford it. I used to deliver Meals on Wheels and met an old lady who couldn't afford lawn care and when I did it for free, she told her neighbors and relatives and I got 2 paying accounts out of it. I just kind of write it off as an advertising expense and even if it doesn't translate into cash, these people really appreciate it a lot, so if I have the time, its a win-win. Think of it this way, I'll probably get more accounts by donating 2 hours a week mowing for free than if I spent 2 hours delivering door hangers, and there's no satisfaction in door hangers, you know? Anyway, that may be ness that's helping the comunity.

I think that is a clever marketing strategy.