PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out..........not really?

jtdscape
05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Hi,

My name is Jimmy and I am 13 years old from New Jersey. I have always wanted to become a landscape designer / architect when I got older. Thats all I have ever wanted to do.

I have been cutting a few lawns and doing jobs around my street now for four years since I was 9 - 10 years old! Yep thats right! All of the money I have ever made has gone into the bank in hopes that one day I will be able to buy a car. So far I have almost $5000 saved away after three years of cutting a few lawns.

Yesterday I went out to the Home Depot to get a new Honda HRX lawnmower in hopes to maybe pick up a new job or two since my toro lawn mower that I had been using was getting annoying and breakdown a lot.

Here is my list of lawn care machines

-Honda HRX Lawnmower
-Echo SRM-210 Trimmer
-Echo PB-260L Leaf Blower
-and other misc stuff.

Well I hope to be posting on here often!

- Jimmy

Little's
05-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow, thats awesome. I wish I had $5000 saved up when I was your age. Your definitely going somewhere in life!
Welcome to the forum...

Steve
05-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to our forum. It's nice to have you here!

What kinds of things have you been doing to market your business?

jtdscape
05-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to our forum. It's nice to have you here!

What kinds of things have you been doing to market your business?

Mostly it is just word of mouth at the moment. I will be making up fliers and stuff in the next few days and pass them around. Hopefully I will get a few more people out of it. I just dont want too many at the moment that I will not be able to handle it all.

Wow, thats awesome. I wish I had $5000 saved up when I was your age. Your definitely going somewhere in life!
Welcome to the forum...

Thanks for the welcome, and I also hope that I will go somewhere :D

LawnBoy0311
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Mostly it is just word of mouth at the moment. I will be making up fliers and stuff in the next few days and pass them around. Hopefully I will get a few more people out of it. I just dont want too many at the moment that I will not be able to handle it all.

Thanks for the welcome, and I also hope that I will go somewhere :D

I'm assuming you didn't go anywhere....

What happens to these people? They come in all "Motivated", post a few posts, and fall off the face of the earth.

JIMMY!!! WHERE ARE YOU??????

CHEESE2009
08-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I wish I had $5k... LOL

Steve
08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I think the vast majority of such members aren't able to make it all happen. It's very difficult to get a business up and running. Especially something that can grow over years and decades.

LawnBoy0311
08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I think the vast majority of such members aren't able to make it all happen. It's very difficult to get a business up and running. Especially something that can grow over years and decades.

Unless he spent his 5K on drugs...

xandrew245x
08-22-2012, 08:46 PM

I think a lot of it is people lose motivation when things are not going as the expect then give up.

I think any business is possible if your motivated enough and work hard to achieve your goals.

LawnBoy0311
08-23-2012, 05:42 AM
I think with a name like Jimmy, from New Jersey...maybe he invested his 5K in a cement shoe factory. His partners are Sammy "salami" and Joey Two Face.

xandrew245x
08-23-2012, 07:47 AM
I think with a name like Jimmy, from New Jersey...maybe he invested his 5K in a cement shoe factory. His partners are Sammy "salami" and Joey Two Face.

That gives me a "sinking" feeling.

Steve
08-23-2012, 01:55 PM
I think a lot of it is people lose motivation when things are not going as the expect then give up.

I think any business is possible if your motivated enough and work hard to achieve your goals.

Absolutely. It would be interesting at times to hear from those that make such posts to tell us a few years later what their status is. Are they still building their business or not? If they aren't, why did they stop?

ladymower
08-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I have not posted in a while but my business is still alive and well . New CubCadet ZForce Commercial ZT is working out well on the many hilly properties I mow. 5 hour mowing cut almost in half. Will be adding a 5 acre cemetery to my list of clients soon. Still work Partime at another job which means some days I get home from work at 4 and will be out mowing till dark. The dry spell only cut my mowing down to about 1/2 but all are back up and being mowed as normally was mowed prior to the dry spell. :)

stevef1201
08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
You want a business update?? OK started 3 years ago, went 5K in debt to start, ended the year with 7 yards, and a lot of debt. Now have a bigger trailer, have a 2nd mower. a helper, and 38 yards. billing at 2K per month, expenses 900 per month, 200 to the helper (my daughter). Expecting to increase next year by 10 yards. Also have 2 commercial contracts and do mowing 12 months of the year. expect to increase commercial contracts by 3 next year.

If your just starting up dont get discouraged. In your 3rd year you will be making money, by your fifth you should be 'golden'.

LawnBoy0311
08-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I have not posted in a while but my business is still alive and well . New CubCadet ZForce Commercial ZT is working out well on the many hilly properties I mow. 5 hour mowing cut almost in half. Will be adding a 5 acre cemetery to my list of clients soon. Still work Partime at another job which means some days I get home from work at 4 and will be out mowing till dark. The dry spell only cut my mowing down to about 1/2 but all are back up and being mowed as normally was mowed prior to the dry spell. :)

Thats pretty good!!! How do you like the cub cadet? I heard a lot of good things. Sounds like your doing very well!

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
You want a business update?? OK started 3 years ago, went 5K in debt to start, ended the year with 7 yards, and a lot of debt. Now have a bigger trailer, have a 2nd mower. a helper, and 38 yards. billing at 2K per month, expenses 900 per month, 200 to the helper (my daughter). Expecting to increase next year by 10 yards. Also have 2 commercial contracts and do mowing 12 months of the year. expect to increase commercial contracts by 3 next year.

If your just starting up dont get discouraged. In your 3rd year you will be making money, by your fifth you should be 'golden'.

Your expenses seem high Steve and gross is low for that many clients. Oh well at least your not in debt anymore.

LawnBoy0311
08-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Your expenses seem high Steve and gross is low for that many clients. Oh well at least your not in debt anymore.

I was thinking the same thing. But then again...the Florida market has to be pretty hard to get into. No debt is good, keep it up, and never stop advertising!

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I was thinking the same thing. But then again...the Florida market has to be pretty hard to get into. No debt is good, keep it up, and never stop advertising!

Well I know there prices are lower. I seen a graph before that showed lower labor, cost of living and overhead. The overhead was largely do to a longer cutting season and not having to buy 4x4xs and plowing gear.

ladymower
11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Thats pretty good!!! How do you like the cub cadet? I heard a lot of good things. Sounds like your doing very well!

Thank you. The CubCadet ZT was a great addition to my equipment this season. Update on 5 acre cemetery went down the tubes. Our area is being invaded by " the white capped girls " . Since this cemetery provided all the equipment I did my research with the township trustees on what they have paid in the past and figured up a fair price including if their equipment broke down, the cost increase when I would use my equipment. Covered all bases.

Oh well win some lose some . On to people who appreciate a job well done. Not worth time to work for nothing. Some people have no concept of all the expenses when a business is a business and not a hobby or one that avoids the taxes and insurance.

Mowin4Dollas
11-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Puberty, that's what happened to jimmy.