PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washing

picframer
05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Do you guys offer pressure washing? Mainly homes with vinyl siding, I have this thing whereby if I have 3 clients in a three week period ask for a service I do not currently offer, I buy the equipment.

We have a lot of soft and hardwoods here in Halifax and as such vinyl siding and decks are prone to moss & mold.

Over the past few weeks I have been spraying an Organic Moss killer which works perfect however some customers wanted us to come back when the moss was dead (48 hours +/-) and pressure wash. so I bought a commercial John Deere unit, 4,000 psi, 8 hp Honda engine, may this thing is amazing, came with a 50 and 100 foot hose, has 6 attachments for the head.

Although they are a bit on the $$$ side (IMHO at $1,290.00) I did enough homes this afternoon and evening to pay for it and have a few jobs yet to do, the thing must run on fumes as I ran it for 8 hours and it's still half full.

One client gave me $100.00 to strip the paint of their deck floor so he could paint, there is one tip that is pretty extreme and it peeled the paint off in min's, I think it took me 40 min to do a 16 X 24 deck.

Anyhow, we will start advertising this service, Simple Green makes four products for these, it's environmentally friendly, bio degradable and will not hurt grass or plants, fairly cheap too at $12.00 gallon, this may be a service you want to consider.

Andy

swstout
05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Do you guys offer pressure washing? Mainly homes with vinyl siding, I have this thing whereby if I have 3 clients in a three week period ask for a service I do not currently offer, I buy the equipment.

We have a lot of soft and hardwoods here in Halifax and as such vinyl siding and decks are prone to moss & mold.

Over the past few weeks I have been spraying an Organic Moss killer which works perfect however some customers wanted us to come back when the moss was dead (48 hours +/-) and pressure wash. so I bought a commercial John Deere unit, 4,000 psi, 8 hp Honda engine, may this thing is amazing, came with a 50 and 100 foot hose, has 6 attachments for the head.

Although they are a bit on the $$$ side (IMHO at $1,290.00) I did enough homes this afternoon and evening to pay for it and have a few jobs yet to do, the thing must run on fumes as I ran it for 8 hours and it's still half full.

One client gave me $100.00 to strip the paint of their deck floor so he could paint, there is one tip that is pretty extreme and it peeled the paint off in min's, I think it took me 40 min to do a 16 X 24 deck.

Anyhow, we will start advertising this service, Simple Green makes four products for these, it's environmentally friendly, bio degradable and will not hurt grass or plants, fairly cheap too at $12.00 gallon, this may be a service you want to consider.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have not had any requests yet for moss removal, but I noticed my house has moss on the roof where the trees overhang. If I have it, others do also, so another market to open. Tell me more about Simple Green. Is it available in the US? Do you use it with the pressure washer or do you have to spray it before pressure washing?

Steve

picframer
05-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Andy,

I have not had any requests yet for moss removal, but I noticed my house has moss on the roof where the trees overhang. If I have it, others do also, so another market to open. Tell me more about Simple Green. Is it available in the US? Do you use it with the pressure washer or do you have to spray it before pressure washing?

Steve

Actually Simple Green is made in the USA, Home Depot sells it, I learned of it years ago writing an article for WOOD Magazine. It is 100% safe for the washer, pets, humans etc. it really works well, I use one to clean pitch from the chain saw bar.

The moss killer works excellent however it's desperate expensive and this pressure washer thing is faster and a fraction of the cost yet I am charging the same. I have 6 more jobs to do next week, I wanted to do it myself today to find out what it was like, did I price it right, what to do and what not to do, will tell the staff Monday when we have our staff meeting and explain the process and to inform current clients should they see a need while at their home.

I have an advertisement in the paper coming out in two weeks, I will add this service and see what happens, I suspect like some of these other add on services it will take off, tilling is a major revenue generator here also, I had two tractors tilling from 7 this morning until 8 this evening, still a bunch to do,

Not sure what to do with the lawn mowing contracts, we have around 20 and to be honest I would just assume give them away as I don't see any money in them compared to the many other things we offer BUT we have to cater to the clients and I do other things for all 20 so I am kind of stuck doing it, just ties up a vehicle that could be elsewhere.

Look into it bud, do like I do, offer the service and if you get the interest, buy the equipment to do it assuming it will pay for itself in a reasonable time. It's super simple work and doesn't break the back.

If we have to bring staging to do a second floor I will double the rate, I have the staging from when I built homes, it wouldn't be safe on a ladder, it takes to hands to control the unit I bought.

I have two more new service offerings on the burner, I don't want to roll them out yet as we are having issues keeping up, calls for rain tomorrow and Monday so everyone will be spraying as we are pretty far behind in that area also.

Andy

swstout
05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi again,

How do the shingles hold up to the pressure washing? On an older roof, could I end up with a repaor bill?

Steve

picframer
05-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi again,

How do the shingles hold up to the pressure washing? On an older roof, could I end up with a repaor bill?

Steve

The unit I has has adjustable pressure and several nozzles, I would use a 25 degree nozzle at 2,000 PSI, no damage and you could make it look new again, here is a sample from a deck. Personally I would stay clear of the big box store units and yes I do have one, it's good enough to clean the mowers, mower decks, ATV, cars etc however for the commercial side, buy a commercial unit.

majoe7
05-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Andy,
That's great that you have added a new service to your already expanding business. Soon you are going to big like the Big Dogs. I have been doing pressure cleaning for years and it is a great money maker and easy to do. I have steady cliental who what me to pressure wash just about everything to do with their house and property. My prices vary depending on the job but mainly I do whole houses. For a house from 1k - 2k sq. ft. I charge $150 -200, 2k-3k $200-300. I also have request while I'm there to do driveways and sidewalks. Charge 150-250 due to the fact that it takes more time, believe it of not.
I use Simple Green also and it works great. Plus I have a small 1 gallon sprayer with me to catch missed spots. I buy pool chlorine 2.5 gal. containers and dilute it with water to do pool enclosure that are white $100-200 per time. Once I give the enclosure a detailed cleaning I offer a quarterly service $75 - 125 to come back and maintained it so it stays looking good.

Stout- I haven't dealt with moss yet but we get a lot of algae and mold on house and it comes off real easy. Sometimes a little elbow grease is needed.

John

swstout
05-23-2009, 10:07 PM
DI bought a commercial John Deere unit, 4,000 psi, 8 hp Honda engine, may this thing is amazing, came with a 50 and 100 foot hose, has 6 attachments for the head.

Andy

You recovered your $1,300.00 investment in 1 day! It's sounding more interesting all the time. Is it on a trailer? How many jobs did it take to pay for itself? (I'm trying to get a feel for pricing)

I would like to have enough interest or sales before I purchase. I get 50% deposit so if I have enough jobs I could possibly pay for it with the deposits.

Steve

majoe7
05-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Andy

I just saw the picture with the deck (before and after) and noticed the lawn. It looks great too. I that one of the lawns you maintain?:)

swstout
05-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi again,

I went to the John Deere site. They have commercial prices of $1,095.00 for a 2,500 psi unit to $1,795.00 for a 3,500 psi unit. It looks like the hoses and wands are all extra. The closest dealer to me is about 40 miles. What should I ask about when I go?

Steve

Steve W
05-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Pressure Washing is good money. I have been doing it since 1991 and John your right on the $ amount I charge too.
I do a lot of moble homes and driveways.

picframer
05-24-2009, 05:52 AM
You recovered your $1,300.00 investment in 1 day! It's sounding more interesting all the time. Is it on a trailer? How many jobs did it take to pay for itself? (I'm trying to get a feel for pricing)

I would like to have enough interest or sales before I purchase. I get 50% deposit so if I have enough jobs I could possibly pay for it with the deposits.

Steve

Steve, I just went to the truck to get the model number, I don't see it on their website (AC-5000GH). Deere just came out with a few new yard care products including mowers, it seems they are not listed.

This is on a very nice cart with wheels, it's heavy at 225 pounds, I am going to add a second washer tomorrow, the AC-3300GH would be perfect and it comes with a 50 foot hose and the gun, four nozzles (I don't think one would dare use pressure above 3,000).

I did 7 jobs yesterday afternoon and evening. The first one was big $$$, the house is in the upper middle class, it was a 40 X 30 house two stories, took me almost two hours, I charged $465.00, then he came out and asked me to do the decks, they were 12 X 16 each and I charged $125.00 each, one was a ground deck the second was on the 2nd floor (see pic). Then he wanted the driveway done, god I thought I would never get out of there, driveway was a double, about 30 feet long, charged $100.00, then his neighbour came over and wanted his deck done 14 x 20 charged $175.00, I then left to do a deck covered in moss not far away and basically spent the rest of the day doing decks and siding on that street, it was a beautiful day, about 85 degrees so there were a lot of people out doing yard work, even I was impressed with the results. You would want a fairly nice day temp wise as you do get a bit wet, sure felt good though as it was hot for our area.

I picked up 5 organic spraying jobs from people asking what the deal was on Organic yard care, the truck and trailer bring in a lot of inquiries when parked on the street.

Anyhow, look into it, there must be other manufacturers in your area, Honda makes very nice sprayers, I bought John Deere as the dealer is super close, they treat me excellent and I never have issues with their products, I know I pay more but it's worth it for me.

I bought gas powered as they are cheap to run, I wanted a lot of PSI and I didn't want to have to worry about outside electrical plugs, clients having a low amp circuit breaker etc. I used to run into this issue a lot when I built decks and found it very frustrating, blowing fuses, breakers etc. some people used to get upset as they didn't really understand breakers and amp draw, I ended up buying a diesel generator.

Good Luck

Andy

picframer
05-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Hi again,

I went to the John Deere site. They have commercial prices of $1,095.00 for a 2,500 psi unit to $1,795.00 for a 3,500 psi unit. It looks like the hoses and wands are all extra. The closest dealer to me is about 40 miles. What should I ask about when I go?

Steve

I am not sure about there however here the dealer will come to you, no questions asked, just give them a call, tell them what you want, explain they are too far away for you to drive and ask if they could bring a couple of models.

I hear on the forum of them doing this all the time.

We were doing a job last week about 20 miles away, it's a massive tree clearing job and I have four guys there, they called me around 11 in the morning saying they really needed a third saw, I called John Deere and an hour later they had a new Stihl, think it is a 290, it's a bigger one 55cc.

picframer
05-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Steve, I just returned from picking up supplies, I was looking at the Dewalt pressure washer, I have a lot of their tools and no issues so I bought the 3100 psi model, it was on for $769.00, very well made and has all the nozzle attachments, gas unit, I believe 9 hp, will be trying it this morning.

swstout
05-24-2009, 12:17 PM
EX17 SUBARU POWERED PRESSURE WASHER
Model Number # SP2700RGI
Commercial Quality - Long life Unit
13HP GAS ENGINE PRESSURE WASHER
Model Number #PDPW3600
3600 PSI @ 4.5 GPM - MANUAL START
Comes complete with:
Cart Mounted 100 Hose Reel
PD390 Commercial Quality OHV
Air-cooled, 4-Stroke, single cylinder Engine
Low Oil Automatic Shut Down
Direct Drive Pump
Commercial Ceramic Plunger Pump
Combi Unloader
Powder Coated Steel Cart
10" Air Tires on Steel Wheels
Chemical Injector
50ft High Pressure Hose with QC's
Trigger Gun and Wand
4 Quick Connect Spray Tips 0, 15, 25, and 40 degree
1 Quick Connect Chemical Tip
Mostly Assembled and Run Tested
One Year Engine Mfg. Limited Warranty
One Year Pump Mfg. Limited Warranty
$699.00

I found this available locally, have 3 in stock

Steve

Concrete Creations
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Guy's, I know I'm new here.

However, 1 thing I know about is pressure washers. We use pressure washers nearly daily.

This is what your want. A Honda motor with a Cat pump. Get as large a Honda as you can coupled with watever PSI Cat pump you are looking for. I run 13hp honda motors with a 4000 psi cat pumps. The next thing that is important is GPM. I run 4.0.

Manufacturer or Brand Name is not important due to the fact they simply put the units on their cart.

From their, you want to purchase a turbo tip for anything concrete related. This will increase your speed and make for a much nicer job.

This combination is much like other tools you may own. They simply work and work when you need them the most. You will be able to get many many years of service.

picframer
05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
IMHO anything with a Subaru name is top drawer, and that is one smoking price, I would add it as a third in a heart beat if it were close to me at that price, has the same tips as my two, careful of the 0 degree one, you can carve your name in wood in seconds with that one.

picframer
05-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Guy's, I know I'm new here.

However, 1 thing I know about is pressure washers. We use pressure washers nearly daily.

This is what your want. A Honda motor with a Cat pump. Get as large a Honda as you can coupled with watever PSI Cat pump you are looking for. I run 13hp honda motors with a 4000 psi cat pumps. The next thing that is important is GPM. I run 4.0.

Manufacturer or Brand Name is not important due to the fact they simply put the units on their cart.

From their, you want to purchase a turbo tip for anything concrete related. This will increase your speed and make for a much nicer job.

This combination is much like other tools you may own. They simply work and work when you need them the most. You will be able to get many many years of service.

Thanks bud, both of mine are 4 GPM, which is the max I would want as some folks are on wells and that is what an average well will produce.

What is this Turbo Tip, just wondering where to buy one.

Andy

swstout
05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I will put some sort of marketing plan together and take it from there. $1,500.00 in sales will purchase the unit.

Steve