PDA

View Full Version : To business plan or not to?

Steve
04-28-2006, 03:09 AM
I always wonder, which is better. I know it sounds crazy, to plan or not to but it still makes me wonder. How much of being an entrepreneur is about planning out a business versus throwing as many ideas against a wall and seeing what sticks. Then going with what sticks?

You could make all the business plans you want and if the business model is flawed, it won't help you one bit. Who knows what will work and what won't? You don't know until you try.

Now I am not saying if you are thinking of spending your life savings on a business to not plan, because I think that would be a mistake. But if you are out there as an explorer looking and searching, how much is a plan really going to help you?

Maybe the greatest thing a business plan can do is to help you think things through and actually write these ideas down. Then later you can refine it further.

But I do wonder how many entrepreneurs started with a business plan. Did you? Do you still use one today? Do you keep it updated?

What's your view?

Small Business Resource (http://www.smallbizresource.com/hr-management/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=SOIMSR3LR4RQGQSNDBOCK HSCJUMEKJVN?articleID=184428364) - Where, by the way, is your business plan? Hope it is not tucked away in a safe deposit box with your incorporation papers and Nanaís good pearls. Hope it is right at your fingertips, either literally filed in a desk or figuratively as in electronically on your desktop or laptop.

Why are you laughing? You say you donít need no stinking business plan? You know already what you have to do to succeed, and the answers are stored in your small little bit of gray matter that sometimes doubles a brain?

Well, my friend, you are an idiot.