PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever see this guerrilla marketing campaign?

Steve
05-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Did you ever see this T-Mobile guerrilla marketing campaign?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQ3d3KigPQM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQ3d3KigPQM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

This was really wild. Then watch the behind the scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFNM8f9WnI&feature=channel

Did it work as a marketing campaign?

Well we are talking about it here LOL

It makes you wonder what you could do to stand out.

Steve
05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
They have done public sing alongs too! How awesome is this!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J-sD0prudqk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J-sD0prudqk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steve
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
At the end of the video it says T-Mobile - Life's For Sharing.

Brilliant!

I have watched it a bunch of times now. Absolutely genius!

CHEESE2009
05-15-2009, 10:50 PM
LOL

good find.

Steve
05-16-2009, 07:00 AM
It makes you wonder ig you could organize an impromptu event yourself? Maybe a cleanup ?

SuperiorPower
05-16-2009, 10:49 AM
no offense Steve, but this type of "advertisement" does nothing for me. Matter of fact, when I see it, the first thing that comes to my mind is that they must have had some advertising $$ they needed to dispose of quickly. Like said I do not see any advertising value what so ever with these vids. I have to ask, how do these videos promote cellular service?

Like said, I wonder if they had some advert $$ they needed to dispose of quickly. They do not bring me any closer to buying their product. It's not like the microphones they are using are t-mobile or you can see that the telephones they are talking on are t-mobile. In my opinion these vids don't even qualify as viral.

Steve
05-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Thats a very good point and question.

I think the view is this.

This event was very pop culture. It attracted youth. Hip youth. Those that get involved are also probably very friendly with others and are mouth pieces that promote hip culture.

These events are different and different events attract media attention and create media impressions.

I did a search for "T-Mobile Dance" and found over 200,000 related sites.

Do a search for the video on youtube and you will see one of them has had 11,823,719 views.

That is 11 MILLION views. That is buzz! Buzz creates awareness of a brand and attributes hipness to T-Mobile. When you add their slogan "Life's For Sharing" you create a very strong marketing message.

If I am at a cell phone store and I have a choice between buying this brand phone or that one, I just might buy the T-Mobile phone because I think of them as a 'cool' company. And within a certain age demographic this desire can be a lot stronger.

Ultimately I think they got a huge marketing bang for their buck.

SuperiorPower
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Thats a very good point and question.

I think the view is this.

This event was very pop culture. It attracted youth. Hip youth. Those that get involved are also probably very friendly with others and are mouth pieces that promote hip culture.

These events are different and different events attract media attention and create media impressions.

I did a search for "T-Mobile Dance" and found over 200,000 related sites.

Do a search for the video on youtube and you will see one of them has had 11,823,719 views.

That is 11 MILLION views. That is buzz! Buzz creates awareness of a brand and attributes hipness to T-Mobile. When you add their slogan "Life's For Sharing" you create a very strong marketing message.

If I am at a cell phone store and I have a choice between buying this brand phone or that one, I just might buy the T-Mobile phone because I think of them as a 'cool' company. And within a certain age demographic this desire can be a lot stronger.

Ultimately I think they got a huge marketing bang for their buck.

I suppose it is all in the target audience?! Like I said, if they are trying to win my business with that, they have just lost. But apparently they were trying to reach a certain demographic. Just not the one where I may be found!!

Steve
05-17-2009, 07:49 AM
I thought this was fascinating too. After the event they did some interviews and many people just loved it. A woman at the end of the video says "I was in a bad mood when I got here but now I am in a good one."

That is pretty powerful. I am having a hard time thinking of the last time I saw a marketing message/event that really uplifted people's spirits. It does make you think though of the possibilities.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jv6rHJiNhQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jv6rHJiNhQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lightninglawncare1
05-25-2009, 07:20 AM
this is called a Flash Mob. they do it in very different way like hundreds of people just freeze in motion for like 10 mis and then just snap out of it and go on like nothing happened

SuperiorPower
05-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Like I said before, this ind of campaign does nothing positive for me toward buy the product. And my personal opinion is if this is what makes me be in a good mood, then my life is pretty sad and I need to get a real life. My life would be based on some very unstable ground and I would not want to live it...... No offense to you Steve, but in my humble opinion that is just about the most worthless campaign ever.

Steve
05-25-2009, 10:32 AM
No problem. Some marketing campaigns will connect with the viewer and some won't. It's the nature of the beast.

It's quite possible we can learn the most from the ones that don't connect with us.

andyjoneslawncare
05-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I know this is a couple days old now but I just stumbled upon it. I think sometimes companies advertise for name recognition, not necessarily why you should use their product. Look at any superbowl commercial. They're meant to be origional and stand out. Look at Coke (polar bears), Geico(a gecko), Pepsi(Michael Jackson?!), Budweiser(clydesdales), or my favorite, the Bumblebee Tuna song. My kids and I sing along whenever its on and in the store they want to buy it! Most of these aren't telling you about their qualities or why you should buy them, but like Steve said, it makes you relate to them as a "cool" company. It may not work for you, but the worlds top advertisers spent billions a year because it obviously is working on someone! The challenge, of course, is applying the idea to our industry and toning it down to a local level. I think its great marketing though. After all, we're still talking about it!

LawncareMarketingMagic
06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I've got to agree with SuperiorPower on this one, although it's a perfect example of how screwed up most people's thinking of marketing is.

The purpose of marketing is to interrupt your prospects, engage them in a meaningful conversation about their problems/wants/needs, then educate them on how your product/service solves their problems/wants/needs, and finally make them an offer that moves them closer to actually buying your product/service.

Unfortunately, most businesses think the idea of marketing is to simply build their brand. Unless you're a huge company that has billions of dollars to spend on marketing, branding style marketing is a HUGE waste of money. It's even a waste for large companies. Sure T-Mobile generated a memorable commercial, but if you asked them how well it generated sales, they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Yes, there is some legitimacy to 'brand value', but you should NEVER spend money simply to build your brand. Instead, focus on educating your prospects and making them offers that move them closer to purchasing what you sell.

I actually did a report on this very topic and you can get a free download of it here:

www.FREELawnCareMarketingSecrets.com (http://www.FREELawnCareMarketingSecrets.com)

andyjoneslawncare
06-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Many people that need lawn care don't know any companies off hand and if they remembered someone's brand, that's who they'd call. Its a stretch to say that most of the biggest, most lucrative names in business have screwed up thinking of marketing. If you want a free credit report, where are you going to go first? Exactly. Which freecreditreport dot com song is in your head right now? Sure, there are other places to go, but I couldn't tell you where off hand. If your lawn care name stuck out in someones head, who would they call first? After they got to your web site or talk to you, you can give them the reason's you are the best, and why they should use you. The object is when someone in your market thinks "lawn care" your name is the first to pop in their head. Obviously, its not the only marketing technique, and in classifieds next to six other lawn ads, other methods would be used, but by the time someone is looking in classifieds, you already missed your shot at them remembering your brand, or they wouldn't be there;)

LawncareMarketingMagic
06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately, the biggest companies that can afford to 'brand' their companies name and plaster it all over the place have billions...yes BILLIONS (or at the very least hundreds of millions) of dollars to spend on marketing.

Can you afford to spend billions to develop your companies brand?

Now obviously it wouldn't require billions to get your name out there, but as a small business, it's extremely flawed thinking to think you can simply put your name out there and people will choose you. Yes, you'll get a few but not nearly as many as you could if you followed the marketing equation.

Take the yellow pages for example. Turn to the section for 'Lawn Care' and take a look at each ad that's in there. I'd be willing to bet dollars for dimes that they all look and say pretty much the same. There's really no way to distinguish company A from company B.

IF your prospects can't tell you apart from your competition, how do you ensure you capture the majority of the prospects?

Sure, there's a chance they'll remember your company from a sign they saw several weeks ago, but you're taking a pretty big risk by counting on that. I'd much rather tip the equation so far to my advantage that there's absolutely NO WAY they'd even consider calling someone else.

Using the marketing equation, you'd capture a majority of the eyeballs in the yellow pages, then have an opportunity to educate them on why your product/service is better than all the other choices, and make them a low risk offer to either learn more or try out your product/service.

And the best part about all of this is that when your entire marketing efforts follow the marketing equation and are coordinated together, you not only generate new clients right now, but you also build brand recognition as a nice 'after the fact' benefit.

andyjoneslawncare
06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm not making myself clear. I'm not argueing over which advertising technique is better, just explaining T-Mobiles motivation behind its "ad" and why it works when its not telling you anything about the company, or that its phones are better, cheaper plans, etc. This isn't about classifieds or yellow pages. Its about an original idea that has people emailing and viewing the ad on youtube for FREE getting its name out there and getting millions in free advertising. It has entertainment value so people share it. Nobody would be forwarding emails about unlimited long distance or family plans. I still think its a great idea and thinking outside the box, which has nothing to do with your marketing ideas, which I've heard are the best out there for our industry. Apples and oranges. Say I came up with some goofy idea and jumped my Cub Cadet ZRT over a schoolbus and pruned a palm tree in mid air before I landed while pulling a banner that said AndyJonesLawnCare.com! See picture. It would cost nothing (assuming I had health insurance!) and it'd be seen by millions. Whether or not there's a market for daredevil lawn service is another issue, but I'd probably have to get a new phone line and a hot secretary to handle the calls. I think Steve put it up to get people to think outside the box, and not an opinion on which kind of advertising is always the best. Oh, and you better click on the thumbnail picture. I wasted 20 minutes on it. I guess time management is another issue.

LawncareMarketingMagic
06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Andy, point well taken. You're absolutely correct in that the viral aspect of the campaign generated tons of exposure for T-Mobile and I don't know of any business that would turn that kind of exposure down.

My point was more the fact that this kind of marketing is very hard to create and harness. Creating a viral campaign is extremely challenging and turning the resulting responses into legitimate business can be just as tough.

This isn't to say you shouldn't attempt to create the same for your business, and if you ever do your daredevil stunt, I'll be the first to buy tickets. I don't know how much lawn care business it would generate for you, but I also don't think you'd need to worry about that because you'd soon have a contract to jump some crazy thing in Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon!

I just hope your school bus jumping, palm tree trimming skills are better than your drawing skills. Otherwise you'd better make sure your health insurance has a low deductible. ;)

Steve
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I think Steve put it up to get people to think outside the box, and not an opinion on which kind of advertising is always the best.

Great picture Andy. Have you thought more about some viral marketing ideas you would like to experiment with?