PDA

View Full Version : Researching and Excited

crmixon
05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey all!

I am in the process of researching the feasibility of starting a lawn care business. I really liked the podcast and have picked up some useful tips on here already!

After 35 years on this Earth I have finally figured out that I don't like working for others. I figure since I love to work in the yard and be outside I might want to look for a career where I can do both and get paid!

Steve
05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What do you think is stopping you now from starting today?

What do you think had stopped you in the past from getting started?

crmixon
05-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I plan on going out on my next day off and trying to get some jobs. Right now I'm broke, BUT I do have a brand new 22" push mower. I plan on getting what I can and getting more equipment as I can afford it. I have a crappy trimmer but it does work so it will do for a little while.

As far as stopping me I would say nothing but me! I have a tendency to talk myself out of things. Right now though I am more tired of being on someone else's payroll than I am scared to try. I have an MBA and am making $10 per hour just to have a job. I work as a manager for McD. I have never worked so hard in my life for so little. If I'm going to work this hard then I want it to be for me and MY family.

I'm going to start out doing as much as I can in my off time until I can get the $ to go full time.

CHEESE2009
05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I say stay with Mcdonald's while you start your own business. Every penny opens up a new opportunity.

If there's no reason for you to rush, begin investing your money.
Get your equipment & begin to advertise hardcore, while staying at McDonalds.

Once you get enough customers, get the heck outta Mc'dees!

Good luck man!

Steve
05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
As far as stopping me I would say nothing but me! I have a tendency to talk myself out of things. Right now though I am more tired of being on someone else's payroll than I am scared to try. I have an MBA and am making $10 per hour just to have a job. I work as a manager for McD. I have never worked so hard in my life for so little. If I'm going to work this hard then I want it to be for me and MY family.

You know, you really hit on a great topic here.

I have more friends who either didn't finish high school or just barely got through that now run their own businesses than the friends who got their M.B.A.'s. When you think about it, it's insane that's the way it goes.

But I think it comes down to this. Those that didn't get through school are more impulsive. They get an idea now and they want to do it NOW. It's like ADHD. They want to do NOW NOW NOW.

My college graduate friends and MBA's want to think and contemplate first. Then create a plan. Then study it's feasibility. Then once they do that, they want to compare the plan to another plan and see which plan is more viable. And on and on it goes.

From my experience, the ones who act faster and throw their ideas up against the wall to see which ones stick tend to find a lot more business success than those who spend their time contemplating.

Why am I telling you this? So you can benefit from it.

Why are you talking yourself out of things? How did you develop that trait? Do you like it or do you dislike it?

What can you or will you do about it?

Realize you are not alone in this and realize you can make a change.

crmixon
05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
I plan to stay with the "safe" money until I get it going good. If it takes me a couple of seasons to get going then so be it. Nothing good ever comes fast (at least for me). Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm heading to bed now. Another long day tomorrow. I'll keep posting and reading. Thanks to all for the posts. I have learned lots just be reading the posts and doing the school.

Good night.

crmixon
05-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Steve,

That's EXACTLY what I've been doing! I'm off Tuesday and AM going out to get some jobs! I'm tired of analyzing stuff until the opportunity has passed.

As far as why... that's easy. It's called fear. The thing is I've got all the education but have never done anything because I always talk myself out of it. Not this time. I had a lawn care "business" when I was a kid and loved every minute of it.

OK now I'm really going to bed. Gotta be at work early tomorrow.

See ya'll

Steve
05-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Well keep us posted on what is going on. What you are feeling now, many other forum members are feeling right now as well.

Your story is inspiring to all of us because you are thinking out loud and talking about the real issues that are holding you back from doing what you want.

Many people can't even get to the point you are at because they won't allow themselves to reflect on their situation.

crmixon
05-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks Steve... I've never thought of myself as an inspiration.

I've done a little advertising and seem to have some interest. Things are looking up. As soon as I can do a few jobs I should be able to start buying some better equipment.

If it ever stops raining I will be able to make some money this week. The rain is a pisser while it's falling but I can't wait for the sun to start shining and the grass to start GROWING!

I'll keep posting my (hopefully) sucesses or (hopefully NOT) failures. Thanks for the encouragement.

P.S. I knew that I was on to something when the lady who runs the local gas station (husband owns one of the two services in town) said that her husband had more work than he could handle. Next sentence she was telling me not to even try because he had the town locked up! HEE HEE... I thinks I see an opening.