PDA

View Full Version : Overgrown headaches!

lawnsalonforyou
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi guys! I hope everyone is really busy this Spring. I know we are. Gotta quick question...how to you price for overgrown lawns. I've had about 4 new clients start out where there lawns are crazy over grown...I'm talking 3 and 5 ft tall grass and weeds. How do you guys deal with these types of lawns. I hate them because no matter how long it seems you spend on them you can't make a lawn like that "look pretty".lol

Here are some photos of one I did this weekend! Talk about a pain!!

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/lawnsalonforyou/Robinson/

turfmaster
05-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I would be up front with them and tell them you have to charge them for a double cut at the very least because really that's what you have to do. When the grass gets that tall even cutting it twice you can't do a good job of mulching it up so now you have cleanup costs for bagging or raking. Trimming also is tougher and the taller grass is tough on your equipment. :D

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Overgrown lawns normally require at least double your typical charge for that sized lawn. Sometimes, you should charge tripple.

Set your blades as high as they will go for your first pass. Use a straight-line mowing pattern (left-right or front-back). When you are finished, rake any excess clumped grass and remove it from the lawn.

Now, lower your blades to the correct height for that type grass and make a second pass. For the second pass, choose a different mowing pattern. If you did left-right on your first pass, mow front-back for your second pass.

The grass will never look good after your first service. Once grass gets leggy, stems close to the ground become thick and discolored. Let your customer know it will take at least two weekly services before it begins to look like a lawn again.

Keith
Lawn Care Business (http://www.StartALawnCareBusiness.com)

lawnsalonforyou
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys!! Really appreciate it! Keith thank you for the mowing line up tips...I will definitely use it next time!

Steve
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Keep us posted on how this works out and how the customer reacts to your bid.