PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth it?

Steve
04-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Do you have satellite radio? Why or why not? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I think satellite radio is ok but the thing is, how many annoyance $10.00 a month bills do you want each and every month?

Sure Howard Stern is now on satellite. His show was funny at times but it didn't make me switch over.

Should Sirius Satellite Radio have signed on Howard? Well, if they have a chance at all of making satellite radio viable, they need content. So I think they did need to do this. Is satellite radio viable? That is another question. Only time will tell.

I think it would be better if it were somehow combined with satellite tv. So you get all these services in one bill. I think satellite tv is a better business concept than satellite radio.

Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/2006/02/10/xm-sirius-howardstern-cx_0213wharton.html) - In the 16 months since announcing that it had signed Howard Stern to a five-year deal, Sirius Satellite Radio has added approximately 2.7 million subscribers and become a household name in the satellite radio world. The tab: close to $700 million.

Is Stern worth it? The answer depends on whom you ask. Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin, who joined the company in November 2004, and had been Stern's boss at Infinity Broadcasting and then Viacom before departing in June 2004, says the radio "shock jock" is a good investment. "There is no question that Howard is worth the money that he is getting paid," said Karmazin on CNBC's Mad Money show last fall. "As a matter of fact, if he was going to renegotiate today, he would have to get more money because [sales are] really doing well."

Others aren't so sure. Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader says Sirius would have reached its current 3.3 million subscriber total without Stern.

tiedeman
04-27-2006, 06:48 PM
I used to have XM radio that my wife got me for christmas. She paid about $13 a month for it. I do it admit that it was great to listen to, but during stormy weather, or if you are traveling in a city with tall buildings, forget about it.

Steve
04-27-2006, 11:23 PM
What made you finally get rid of it?

tiedeman
04-27-2006, 11:34 PM
The main reason was because I got a new vehicle in March. *In my old vehicle, I had to tear apart the dash, run new wires for the antenna and adaptor, and basically made things look messy. *So I just decided to do away with it

Steve
04-27-2006, 11:38 PM
What do you think the future is going to be for satellite radio? Will it survive and how?

tiedeman
04-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Last time I heard, Sirius is doing really bad right now. *They are having horrible budget problems.

I see more like a satellite tv in all the cars compared to the radio.

Just checked up on Sirius...the last 3 years they have been operating at a loss. Last year they had a loss of around $850,000.