PDA

View Full Version : Coroplast signs - What to expect?

Fresh Cut
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Anybody have experience with putting out these signs @ exit ramps and busy intersections to attract business?

If so, what are some things I may need to know? What kind of return should I expect from my advertising dollars if I go this route?

I'm asking this because I'm not at all satisfied with my return on the door hangers that I have been using.

I need more business. I feel like I'm getting left behind and only getting occasional customers that other Lawn Care guys don't want.

I DONT' WANT THESE PROBLEM CUSTOMERS!!!

I want regular customers that keep me busy and don't cause problems.

musician/lawnman
05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
here's some info on these signs. I used them alot as a health/life insurance agent years ago....
1)In most counties they restrict or forbid temporary signage without a permit, Now your not going to pull a permit for every sign (or any sign for that matter) so every now & then I'd get a call from the county saying these are illegal signs & that they removed some & those will be destroyed & that they recorded where others were. If I didn't remove them they would collect them & fine me per sign. (sometimes I went & got them, other times I did not) I never did get fined though. But the county will often pull them in a couple days so, I advise you to put them up on a friday night & at least then they'll typically be up til sometime monday or tuesday.
2) a bit of advise. have the signs made proffesionally but don't spend a ton on them. If possible keep it a simple one color design. Don't buy the stands.
Go to home depot & buy ladder wire. It will look like this http://www.h-b.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6 and will typically come in 12' peices, It's metal stuff typically used in bettween courses of cinderblock when building homes to add reinforcement so it will be in the construction supply isle (all the way to the left in most home depot stores). Get a cheap pair of bolt cutters & cut the ladders into smaller sections to use as your stands. You can usually get about 4 stands per 12' section. They are stronger & cheaper that way. And cheap is good since they will be removed by the county sometimes, others will be taken by jerks who want to cover your sign to make a yard sale sign! I had some sucess with them back then but have never used them for my lawn service company.

Fresh Cut
05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
So how do you attract business and what are some other suggestions as far as lawn service is concerned.

I don't wanna be going blind doing this if you haven't done it for lawn service before.

I did the door hangers, I got cards made. I have t-shirts I wear everyday. I can't afford the signs for my truck yet.
I been getting calls, but very slow and not consistent.

I also need a pitch when people call me so they are not so afraid to get into a contract with me. Whether verbal or written.

HELP

Fresh Cut
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
FASt Signs quoted me @ about $5.75 per sign. That's 1 color 1 side 12" x 18".

Is that Good? If not, where can I get 'em cheaper?

musician/lawnman
05-13-2009, 11:48 PM
I did a 10 second websearch & found this http://www.supercheapsigns.com/priceit.php?category_id=1
Prices look much better but I have never used them.....
I'll get into some details & tips tommorrow.... I'm tired man, going to bed. Sorry!

Fresh Cut
05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I did a 10 second websearch & found this http://www.supercheapsigns.com/priceit.php?category_id=1
Prices look much better but I have never used them.....
I'll get into some details & tips tommorrow.... I'm tired man, going to bed. Sorry!

Tomorrow?

What's up?

turfmaster
05-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Go to www.AGEGraphics.com

Best prices I could find.

I ordered 50 18"x24" 1 color 2 sides with 50 stakes for $150.00.

I also had them make me 2 16"x 22" truck magnets to match for one of my trucks.(2 for $35.00)

The coroplast signs made excellent signs for my open trailer. :)

Steve
05-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I also need a pitch when people call me so they are not so afraid to get into a contract with me. Whether verbal or written.

If you want to read more on lawn care contracts, check out my lawn care articles (http://lawnchat.com/index.php?s=chuck+contract) here.

But especially pay attention to this one.
The benefits of and how to sell annual lawn care contracts. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=313)

Fresh Cut
06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm going to wait before I get these signs made until after I get my website up and running.

That way I can put my site on the signs and any other form of advertising I spend money on.

arthur712
06-08-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm going to wait before I get these signs made until after I get my website up and running.

That way I can put my site on the signs and any other form of advertising I spend money on.

I do like yard signs , but you need to know how to use them.

I use them every weekend but I work close with code enforcment and find out were to put them and what days they work. If fined the fee could be $500 per sign. But most of the time its a smack on the hand.

Keep trying you will find something that works well for you!

One of the biggest and best advertising I have done was that I went out to all business owner in the area and talked to them about my business and put a stack of my Business card on thier counter with holder.
You will be suprised on how many people wants to help and pass on referals.

Thanx!

AND OF COURSE OUR OUTDOOR BUSINESS CARD HOLDERS WILL WORK GREAT FOR YOU!!!

Steve
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Artie,

When you use these lawn signs, you would only stick them in the ground for a few days and then pull them out? What do you think would be ideal as far as lawn signs go for lawn care business owners? Should they insert them in the ground for a couple days and then pull them out and put them into another spot for a few days?

arthur712
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Artie,

When you use these lawn signs, you would only stick them in the ground for a few days and then pull them out? What do you think would be ideal as far as lawn signs go for lawn care business owners? Should they insert them in the ground for a couple days and then pull them out and put them into another spot for a few days?

Funny thing!

My City of Cocoa Fl Code enforsment guy came into my office with 4 of my signs to let me know that I was going to be fined $500 per sign if I put them out again.

While he was in my office I sold him a house!!! So the signs work in so many ways. haha

I only put them out on sundays now because they work Monday to Saturday here. This the city part of town.

Now the county is a little easier they rarely ever take my signs down.

So do some research and find out were you can and can not put them.

Best way to find is to call and ask. They are pretty nice about it.

THE BEST ONES ARE DOUBLE SIDED!!!

Thanx!

arthur712
06-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Artie,

Another thing I would do is get smaller yard signs and put them in your costumers yards. Not full time move them around. People will see them while walking the dog or just driving by, Put our outdoor businees card holder on those ones.

Code will not pick those up unless in a community that has restriction.

Thanx!
Artie

Fresh Cut
06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I'd really like to know the return on these signs vs. other advertising methods.

I have tried the door hangers and I'm not satisfied with my return no matter what neighborhood I put them in. I've even talked to people, shook hands, etc and gotten nowhere near where I'd like to be.

I really want to know what I can expect as far as calls.
I know every call won't result in a client, but I need to have my phone ringing more!

Artie, I'm thinking of getting 100 to start. This a good idea? Should I start with 50?
I say 100 because monetarily, it seems to make the most sense when I crunch the numbers. It comes out to about $2.24/sign for 18"x24", 1 color, double-sided.
While 50 signs would cost me $3.44/sign for the same .

Fresh Cut
06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Anybody have experience with putting out these signs @ exit ramps and busy intersections to attract business?

If so, what are some things I may need to know? What kind of return should I expect from my advertising dollars if I go this route?

I'm asking this because I'm not at all satisfied with my return on the door hangers that I have been using.

I need more business. I feel like I'm getting left behind and only getting occasional customers that other Lawn Care guys don't want.

I DONT' WANT THESE PROBLEM CUSTOMERS!!!

I want regular customers that keep me busy and don't cause problems.

here's some info on these signs. I used them alot as a health/life insurance agent years ago....
1)In most counties they restrict or forbid temporary signage without a permit, Now your not going to pull a permit for every sign (or any sign for that matter) so every now & then I'd get a call from the county saying these are illegal signs & that they removed some & those will be destroyed & that they recorded where others were. If I didn't remove them they would collect them & fine me per sign. (sometimes I went & got them, other times I did not) I never did get fined though. But the county will often pull them in a couple days so, I advise you to put them up on a friday night & at least then they'll typically be up til sometime monday or tuesday.
2) a bit of advise. have the signs made proffesionally but don't spend a ton on them. If possible keep it a simple one color design. Don't buy the stands.
Go to home depot & buy ladder wire. It will look like this http://www.h-b.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6 and will typically come in 12' peices, It's metal stuff typically used in bettween courses of cinderblock when building homes to add reinforcement so it will be in the construction supply isle (all the way to the left in most home depot stores). Get a cheap pair of bolt cutters & cut the ladders into smaller sections to use as your stands. You can usually get about 4 stands per 12' section. They are stronger & cheaper that way. And cheap is good since they will be removed by the county sometimes, others will be taken by jerks who want to cover your sign to make a yard sale sign! I had some sucess with them back then but have never used them for my lawn service company.

Gotcha. I put in my order yesterday and they are gonna send me a proof today.

I got 100, 18"x24", double-sided, single color signs with no stakes for $250.12 including shipping. Is that good?

I didn't go with A.G.E. because they couldn't get the proofs right. I kept going back and forth with them and I didn't get what I wanted.
I'm confident that I made the right choice in who to give my business.

I'ma go check out the ladder wire next time I pass a home depot, just to get an idea of the cost.

Then I'll try to catch up w/ code enforcement to see if I can get word on how and when to place 'em out without the signs getting mowed over and snatched up.

Steve
07-01-2009, 04:33 AM
That's $2.50 a sign. I don't think that is bad at all.

How many are you going to be placing outdoors at once? Any thoughts on when you will be putting them out?

jds2381
07-01-2009, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't recommend putting them all out at once. I don't know where you live or how big it is but I would put xx out.......look at the results. (see if they are mowed over or taken down, check them daily) Figure out the 'schedule' and post accordingly. If they mow fridays then take them down Thursday. Put them back up when they are finished. I have used them when selling houses and only have 3 up since the lawn care business. Two in customers yards and 1 waiting to be torn down. (I need to know when though so it's a good investment) If you have time as I do, I recommend ordering one sign at a time via vistaprint.com Once you like them, give them business though. :) I just spent another $100 bucks tonight, after 'screwing' them out of hundreds :( They are going to 'get theirs' though. I am happy with all the 'screwing' I done so now it's business time. :)

Fresh Cut
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
UPDATE: I got the signs, just haven't put any out yet. I went to Home Depot and the ladder wire is $2.60 per 10' length. The sku number is 213-470, I think.

THESE ARE PERFECT, thanks to the member for suggesting these.

I can get about 4 stands out of a 10' length!

One customer has agreed to allow me to put one is his yard and I'ma put some out on a busy parkway median on the way to where I have a few yards. I saw that they mowed the median yesterday. I went down that road Sunday and I noticed it wasn't cut, but saw the tractor w/ big **** attached parked on the side of a big hill. I figured they weren't cutting because it was Sunday and it was raining.
Monday it was all cut down. Gotta get out there and put out some signs, I'll probably start with about 5 because the parkway is kinda long.

Maybe 2 @ two different intersections and 1 strategically placed in median.

Steve
08-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Keep us posted on how all this turns out. When you get these signs up, will you be asking all your new callers, where they initially heard of you from?

arthur712
08-04-2009, 11:43 PM
When I put mine out. I will ZipTie them to a metal road sign like STOP signs so they do not blow away easy.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/ctksmom/yard.jpg

Fresh Cut
08-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Keep us posted on how all this turns out. When you get these signs up, will you be asking all your new callers, where they initially heard of you from?

yes, but I've only been doing the door hangers and I stopped doing that a while ago, so I'll know the calls are coming from the signs.

Fresh Cut
08-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Another update:

First night I put the signs out, I got a call the next morning (not even 12 hours later) saying that I couldn't put the signs out from some guy that's on a local community association board. He told me that I couldn't put 'em out anywhere and that they make the community look bad.
I kept asking where would he suggest I put 'em, he said nowhere.

Now, I've got 100 of these signs and I just started putting them out and this guy calls me talking this nonsense about "I know those signs cost money and there gonna be gone, and that's money lost on your part". As I listened to him talk I got a REAL GOOD feeling that he had little or no weight in the community and that my signs were not gonna be gone due to him.

He also said that he was calling because he hadn't seen my signs before so I must be new and he wanted to let me know. He went on to say that if they(code enforcement) see my signs out there, they'll take 'em and throw 'em away. They may call me or not, and that code enforcement will fine my business. He said that if police see me putting the signs out they will cite me.

I talked with him for about 15 minutes and told him I didn't know and that I'd call code enforcement. I haven't called 'em yet. I kept a close eye on my signs since he called and I noticed my last sign was gone yesterday, like 2 or 3 days after the guy called me.

Nonetheless, I have been getting calls steadily since I put the signs out. Somewhere around 3-5 a day. Some from the signs I put out on the busy parkway, others from signs I put in customers yards. One customer that has gotten me a lot of calls lives on a corner lot @ the entrance to a subdivision, I've gotten 4 or 5 calls from that sign alone!

signs work!

turfmaster
08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Another update:

First night I put the signs out, I got a call the next morning (not even 12 hours later) saying that I couldn't put the signs out from some guy that's on a local community association board. He told me that I couldn't put 'em out anywhere and that they make the community look bad.
I kept asking where would he suggest I put 'em, he said nowhere.

Now, I've got 100 of these signs and I just started putting them out and this guy calls me talking this nonsense about "I know those signs cost money and there gonna be gone, and that's money lost on your part". As I listened to him talk I got a REAL GOOD feeling that he had little or no weight in the community and that my signs were not gonna be gone due to him.

He also said that he was calling because he hadn't seen my signs before so I must be new and he wanted to let me know. He went on to say that if they(code enforcement) see my signs out there, they'll take 'em and throw 'em away. They may call me or not, and that code enforcement will fine my business. He said that if police see me putting the signs out they will cite me.

I talked with him for about 15 minutes and told him I didn't know and that I'd call code enforcement. I haven't called 'em yet. I kept a close eye on my signs since he called and I noticed my last sign was gone yesterday, like 2 or 3 days after the guy called me.

Nonetheless, I have been getting calls steadily since I put the signs out. Somewhere around 3-5 a day. Some from the signs I put out on the busy parkway, others from signs I put in customers yards. One customer that has gotten me a lot of calls lives on a corner lot @ the entrance to a subdivision, I've gotten 4 or 5 calls from that sign alone!

signs work!

I use coroplast signs and have had moderate success with them. They definetly worked better than flyers for me.

A friend of mine in the business uses them also with some success. He and I also agree that other LCO'S steal them when they see them.

It also wouldn't suprise me if the guy who called you was a fraud because that happened to me.

temeculagrassgators
08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey do you guys know you can get 100 signs for 100$$ with FREE stakes!? I will get the web-site if you want it!
Trevor

Steve
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
This is really fascinating because it makes you wonder what is the best way to use them?

Should you put them up for a weekend and take them down? Put them up for a week and take them down? Move them around town or what?

Hey do you guys know you can get 100 signs for 100$$ with FREE stakes!? I will get the web-site if you want it!

Please do.

turfmaster
08-09-2009, 06:33 PM
This is really fascinating because it makes you wonder what is the best way to use them?

Should you put them up for a weekend and take them down? Put them up for a week and take them down? Move them around town or what?

We put them out for a week and then take them down. Usually do this on our
regular mowing routes.

I found that we don't have them ripped off as much plus people will still notice them.

A few customers don't mind if we leave them on their property.

temeculagrassgators
08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.electionsign.net/index1.htm