PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing fertilizer and weed control in bulk (western PA)

mark123
05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm starting the planning for opening up my own lawn fertilizing service and am looking for some tips on buying product. I asked at the county extension office and was directed to AGWAY. :o I've maintained my applicator certification on my own after quitting my lawn care job a few years back. I just need some tips to get going. I just don't know where to find suppliers. I'm planning on going full-bore by July.

Lesco is good stuff but they are expensive. There have got to be others in the western PA (Lawrence County) area.

I'm looking for granular fertilizer in varying formulas, weed control (probably Triplet) by the drum, and miscellaneous items like Manage or Drive for Nutsedge and post-emergent crabgrass control. I'm also going to need a spray rig for weed control. Tank, pump (prefer electric over gas), hose and reel.

Any idea where I can get a good price on these items?

Steve
05-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Have you thought about offering organic fertilizer? It seems a bunch of members on here have been doing that and seeing great results.

mark123
05-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Have you thought about offering organic fertilizer? It seems a bunch of members on here have been doing that and seeing great results. Actually, yes. I have thought about it. As long as it isn't just industry buzz and marketing hoopla, I'm very interested in hearing more about it. :)

For those that offer organic services, does it cost more? If so, how much more (in general) and do you also offer synthetics at a lower price? What about organic weed control? Is there any such thing?

Even at a higher cost, I'd rather do what's right.