PDA

View Full Version : Organic lawn care franchise

Steve
05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
As we are seeing more discussions on the forum on the topic of organic lawn care, I would think this could open a new opportunity to create a viable and sustainable business model based on organic lawn fertilization.

If one model could be shown to work then the concept could be repeated. It could then be packaged and sold.

swstout
05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
As we are seeing more discussions on the forum on the topic of organic lawn care, I would think this could open a new opportunity to create a viable and sustainable business model based on organic lawn fertilization.

If one model could be shown to work then the concept could be repeated. It could then be packaged and sold.

Are you looking for a Business Plan or just information on how we are promoting and marketing organic lawn services?

Steve

picframer
05-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Are you looking for a Business Plan or just information on how we are promoting and marketing organic lawn services?

Steve

The posters have the zeal, they just need help with the focus and to be taken by the hand so to speak and shown how to grow their business. I sense from reading the threads Lawn Care seems to mean mowing the lawn, that being the case I don't think one will grow to a point where they make serious coin.

As I mentioned we need to think outside the box, there is so much to offer a customer who owns a home that directly ties to this business it isn't funny.

Personally I knew we would do well as I buck trends and find a way to make a company work pushing it in various directions, this makes the company fun, yes it has trials and headaches and I am going through one now as I am at a point where I am a business manager rather than sitting on one of the machines with the guys, have to give this some thought and make changes as I am not sitting behind a desk again.

My long term plan is to set up a franchise, equip the guys/gals who want into this business to make them a success financially and otherwise. It's going to take another year or two and I want to stay under the radar of the big guys for now, I did the same thing in the security business, we went from #32 in Canada to #1 in six years, by the time they took notice it was too late to quash us as we were bigger than they were.

But yes there is tremendous profit in spraying, hardly any training, equipment costs are cheap compared to mowing and the demand for Organic products here is through the roof, I am in part generating that demand by educating the customer on the benefits and it sells itself.

What we are experiencing now is neighbours of clients wondering what the heck we did to the lawn as in many cases it looks like a golf course and that is only four weeks, the phone has been ringing all day for Mosquito spraying, thankfully it's a bad weather day here today so I did 14 quotes and got them all, the markup is close to 500% and no one offers this service. I am hitting day care's and wedding companies, is someone wants an out door wedding we can spray 5 hours prior and there will be no mosquito or black flies.

Andy

swstout
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Example of my marketing.

This is the ad I placed today for next Monday's Home Show Insert of our local paper.

Why we went green

Synthetic lawn chemicals i.e. herbicides, pesticides, chemical fertilizers endanger human and animal health and damage the environment. Scientific studies have found numerous negative health consequences associated with the synthetic chemicals found in traditional lawn care products. A report by the National Academy of Sciences shows that the health of 1 in 7 people are negatively impacted in some form by lawn pesticides; numerous studies link lawn chemicals to cancers and other long-term diseases; several studies also link exposure to artificial lawn chemicals to an increased risk of cancer and other health problems in pets. Children are especially at risk for negative health consequences due to their size, physiological development and proximity to the ground. Studies from Yale University, Mt. Sinai Medical Center and several others point to children’s health risks associated with synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.

Synthetic pesticides and fertilizers destroy the naturally present beneficial organisms in a healthy lawn’s ecosystem making it biologically sterile. This destruction then transforms your lawn into an increasingly needy "junkie,"requiring more and more chemicals to sustain it. A green lawn does not mean a healthy lawn! In addition, up to 60 percent of synthetic nitrogen applied to lawns ends up contaminating ground water.

Even though going Green meant purchasing new equipment, costly employee training, enhanced application and mixing methods, and a companywide culture change, we went Green May 1st.

Our products actually build soil (Humus) over time. One gallon of our soil-conditioning product is the equivalent of seven tons of manure. Our products contain beneficial microbes, 30+ vitamins and nutrients, plant growth hormones, and are all 100% biodegradable. Our products help Nature help Nature. A healthy turf is weed free, disease free, utilizes water more efficiently, and increases home value with greater curb appeal.

We are extensively trained, licensed, insured, and ready to serve. We give free estimates and consultations to residential and commercial clients, offer active duty military family and senior citizen discounts.

Stout Services Lawn Care Plus
(843) 639-5229
Http://www.swstout.com (http://www.swstout.com/)
information@swstout.com (information@swstout.com)

picframer
05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh man I like that, like it a lot!!!!!!

Way to go my friend, now hang on and enjoy the ride, that should get you a massive amount of response, probably the attention of the competition as well, just keep an eye on them but never fear them, you have no reason to.

Andy

picframer
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Quick update, as of now, 9:24 pm, I have conformation back on 12 of the 14 quotes I did today, that is almost seven grand in work and that is just today. This pushes us into mid June for almost half of it, the other is spraying.

I quoted one job today, 11,000 square feet, Organic Mosquito spray, my cost is $18.00 for the product, will take about 20 min to spray, travel time and employee cost say another $30.00, I quoted $184.00 and the lady thought it was a great deal and wants us back every four weeks.

This is the key and a change I recently made, follow up spraying, I offer a 15% discount if you sign for four sprays over the summer and everyone is taking it, I am shocked as the follow up sprays are only fertilizer which means my profit on follow up sprays is higher than the initial plus it gives me time to make the long look top drawer. Initial spray is five Organic products.

I can't believe or understand why every lawn care company on the site isn't going after this, it is honestly shocking what you can make, I could run this company on spraying alone and have a very healthy income.

swstout
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh man I like that, like it a lot!!!!!!

Way to go my friend, now hang on and enjoy the ride, that should get you a massive amount of response, probably the attention of the competition as well, just keep an eye on them but never fear them, you have no reason to.

Andy

This ad will be 3 column by 8". The top 2 Inches will be white with the "Why We went Green" in green (what else).

The test will be white on a field of grass. It cost me $186.00. It is delivered free to about 12,000 homes and is at every grocery store in the area. Stewert is in Buffalo, NY but his products ship from Florida.

Where do you get your Mosquito spray?

Steve
i

Steve
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I think if you could take your two working models. You could potentially use them as real life results and package the concept into a franchise and sell it to readers of the forum.

I can't believe or understand why every lawn care company on the site isn't going after this, it is honestly shocking what you can make, I could run this company on spraying alone and have a very healthy income.

That is why I think there is an opportunity to package it and sell it. Maybe they just need a little assistance.

picframer
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
This ad will be 3 column by 8". The top 2 Inches will be white with the "Why We went Green" in green (what else).

The test will be white on a field of grass. It cost me $186.00. It is delivered free to about 12,000 homes and is at every grocery store in the area. Stewert is in Buffalo, NY but his products ship from Florida.

Where do you get your Mosquito spray?

Steve
i

From the company in Montreal, Stuart buy's their weed control, maybe he buys this also, man this stuff is super concentraled, 6ml to a liter of water, it's not cheap as you have to buy 20 liter containers and it's $495.00 plus shipping, I bought 200 liters to start and it is going like hot cakes. A 20 liter container does something like 200,000 square feet.

I am working on three golf courses at the moment, I will have to buy a massive sprayer if I get one of them and one is very close to signing, it will cost them four grand a month and will require an employee from me three days to spray, it's a short cycle however they only need it for three months.

http://www.bjedistri-organic.com/cgi-bin/mm_core.pl?pid=2337&id_langue=en&id_produit=4

swstout
05-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I think if you could take your two working models. You could potentially use them as real life results and package the concept into a franchise and sell it to readers of the forum.

That is why I think there is an opportunity to package it and sell it. Maybe they just need a little assistance.

I was thinking about a "Lawn School" for organic lawn care. The Icon and Certificate gives even more credibility.

We probably could work out a deal with Nature's Magic where we dropship to those interested for a commission.

What do you think?

Steve

picframer
05-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Something I will start working on in January, once the lawn care starts to quiet down in October we are into craft season and once again work around the clock. I don't think we will bother with snow removal this coming season, I need January to March just to get ready for next summer as I plan to double the company again in size which means finding good management people.

I still want to be out on the machinery and if I can find the right people to run this I will, then I can also focus on franchise as it may very well be ready by then.

picframer
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I was thinking about a "Lawn School" for organic lawn care. The Icon and Certificate gives even more credibility.

We probably could work out a deal with Nature's Magic where we dropship to those interested for a commission.

What do you think?

Steve

Great idea, the thing is to get these folks to get out of the lawn mowing mold and try some other things, as you know Steve it doesn't cost much to get going in spraying and the learning curve isn't that bad.

Are you using the moss buster product? We have done around 40 places with it and the results are jaw dropping, it's an amazing organic product also as it seems everyone here has a moss issue, not sure what it is like where you are.

Steve
05-18-2009, 08:04 PM

What do you think?

I almost missed this post. There is so much going on here.

That is a great idea. You could even potentially have them rebrand it too.

swstout
05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I almost missed this post. There is so much going on here.

That is a great idea. You could even potentially have them rebrand it too.

I think Andy has the right idea for January. Too much going on right now to give it justice. We could start fine tuning the marketing plan for both us and members, develop the training medium, set up a distribution network, etc. without making it a rush job. Plenty of time to cuss and discuss.

We are probably driving other forum members crazy seeing the activity and not being able to post.

Steve

turfmaster
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I have got to admit organic lawn care intrigues me.
I definitely see a market for this in my area.
Right now this could be a upsell to separate my business from all the competition in the area. I for the most part sub out my fertilization and weed control. Last year a customers dog ate grass and got sick after a application of weed & feed. I just didn't want to deal with that kind of stuff anymore.
I am going to seriously look into organic. :D

swstout
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I have got to admit organic lawn care intrigues me.
I definitely see a market for this in my area.
Right now this could be a upsell to separate my business from all the competition in the area. I for the most part sub out my fertilization and weed control. Last year a customers dog ate grass and got sick after a application of weed & feed. I just didn't want to deal with that kind of stuff anymore.
I am going to seriously look into organic. :D

I just started a few weeks ago. I am getting 25-35 website hits a day. Just added Mosquito treatments today. It's easy work, easy to sell, and profitable.

You will need a tow behind sprayer. It saves a lot of time and work and it makes you appear more professional. They are expensive but well worth the investment. I use FIMCO LG-2500 (25 gallon tank). It sprays an 80" swath.

www.fimcoindustries.com (http://www.fimcoindustries.com)

SuperiorPower
05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
I just started a few weeks ago. I am getting 25-35 website hits a day. Just added Mosquito treatments today. It's easy work, easy to sell, and profitable.

You will need a tow behind sprayer. It saves a lot of time and work and it makes you appear more professional. They are expensive but well worth the investment. I use FIMCO LG-2500 (25 gallon tank). It sprays an 80" swath.

www.fimcoindustries.com (http://www.fimcoindustries.com)

So the mosquito spray can be imported from Canada with no problems?

swstout
05-20-2009, 02:31 AM
So the mosquito spray can be imported from Canada with no problems?

Stuart, the owner of Nature's Lawn carries Natures-guard
(http://www.natureslawn.com/insect-guard.php (http://www.natureslawn.com/insect-guard.php)) now and will probably carry what Andy talked about.
I also found Mosquito Barrier http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/ (http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/)
Nature's Guard - quart $17.00, gallon $30.00, 2.5 gallon $70.00
Mosquito Barrier - Gallon $90.00

So even if the spray Andy is using isn't available, in the US, there is product available. If I remember correctly, the spray Andy uses, uses 2 oz per gallon, while both of the above uses 4 oz per gallon.
I started Marketing based on the fact that there was something I could get!
Steve

picframer
05-20-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't see why it couldn't be shipped to the USA as it's 100% Organic, mainly garlic extract.

I worked all day yesterday during the day helping the mulch guys as they are falling behind then late in the afternoon I cut trees with the tree crew as they had some big ones to come down and were not comfortable with them.

Had supper and went spraying until 9, I generated more money spraying this mosquito product in three hours than a crew can in 8, gross. Net you can't compare as the markup is very large.

We are in mosquito and black fly season, the tree crew place was crazy with flies so I talked to the owner yesterday, they were so bad we had to have the conversation in his garage, he hired us to spray so I did their place around 8:30 last night, he came out to pay me after I was finished, took 20 min to do 2 acres, there wasn't a fly to be found.....smelled like a barbacue and would for 5 hours but I know once the word is out we will never keep up.

Have a super day....working with the spray crew today, doing moss on homes as we have some high homes to do and the guys don't like the height with a sprayer attached to them....