PDA

View Full Version : Couple more service ideas

picframer
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
We have been asked several times if we would build an interlocking wall for customers, I have been turning them away until last week.

Halifax has the largest manufacturer in Atlantic Canada so I went to a free information session on retaining wall construction, I have built dozens with 6 X 6 timbers but never man made rock.

In short it doesn't require hardly any tools, 4 foot level, plumb line, hammer, shovel, rake, hoe and that is about it.

One does have to prepare the base, you could rent a mini excavator to speed this up or do it by hand if you have good soil to work with.

I spent an hour with the backhoe digging a trench 14" wide, 12" deep and 32 feet long, filled it with 6" 3/4 clear stone then 2" crusher dust, compacted and had the guys start the first row. We checked everything to ensure it was flat with a level and plumb line, checked the back to ensure it was straight, guys filled the openings inside the rock with crusher dust and I left to do another job.

6 1/2 hours later they called and said they were done, I went to the site, results were amazing, the wall is about 32" high, spent 1/2 hour back filling then we left.

There is very good money in this, charged $200.00 for the backhoe, $45.00 for 3/4" rock (cost about $15.00), $105.00 for crusher dust (cost $32.00) and $945.00 to build the wall (staff salary costs $ 195.00 + $100.00 as I gave them each a $50.00 bonus for doing a great job)

The other thing I did a few weeks ago as we do a lot of jobs where we only need, for example a thousand pounds of rock, it's crazy expensive to have such a small amount delivered and many places simply won't that I cleared an area on my property and buy tandem loads of crusher dust, 3/4 Clear, Crusher run, top soil, garden soil and mulch, because we are a contractor we receive a discount from the quarry. As we need the product we have two small dump trailers that will haul around 1,500 pounds max, I simply use a loader and put the amount required for the job, the markup I am using is close to 300% before transportation costs and my/staff time, it works perfect, if you have room, something to consider.

Andy

Steve
05-10-2009, 09:10 AM
This sounds very interesting! Do you have any pictures of the wall you did? I'd love to see it.

The other thing I did a few weeks ago as we do a lot of jobs where we only need, for example a thousand pounds of rock

What would you use the rocks for? Driveways? or for the foundations of a wall?