PDA

View Full Version : yellow pages ad?

Lawn World
06-01-2003, 11:10 AM
I have question. I just finished up with a rep from the Yellow Book. It did not dawn on me until after she left that it is not the phone company's book SBC/SNET Yellow pages.

My Question is how many people use the yellow book? I am thinking that it being a knock off of the original that it's a no, but then again it is less than the others... ads start at $50 per month up to 2 to 3 ads of about a 1/2 page ad for $415 per month.

Property Management Co
06-01-2003, 11:26 AM
yellow page ads are for people shopping prices . i have never had a yellow page ad in 10 years of business an will never have one . if ya do good work , treat people rite ,an keep your word , i promise ya your phone will not stop ringing either!!

Green Acres
06-01-2003, 11:28 AM
1/4 page for 1500-4000 that is cheap.
Maybe your area is small.
In Texas everything is big incuding the price...

We advertised in the DFW area.

Our 1/4 page ad with color was $14000 BUT it had everyone calling .... even our dog.

At Your Service
06-05-2003, 08:54 AM
My take on the yellow pages is that its going the way of the do-do bird :-) Straight down hill. The best way to get new accounts is through networking, referrals and being friendly to people when they ask for bids.

Lawn Magic
06-07-2003, 11:43 AM
I like the idea of a yellow page ad because it screams "Legitimate Business" as does a business card, flyer or anything in print for that matter. However, I have not used the yellow pages because there is no way to shut it off. Its there, generating calls and expense, even if your crew is already max'd-out.
Alternatively, I use the Professional/Business Service Directory of the local newspaper, placing a classified ad when I lose a few customers through normal attrition. I can cancel the 30 day ad at anytime after it is placed. Since most of my business comes from referrals and those who approach me in the field, I rarely even need to place this ad.
With the addition of second or third crew in this market, I would revisit the yellow page option. The expense would be spread over more customers and the need to add customers is more likely to be ongoing.

Weed Eater
06-07-2003, 02:00 PM
I am gonna try that service directory idea and I will let everyone know how it works for me!