PDA

View Full Version : Hello just started...

roclin
05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Had a successful commercial maintenance business for over 12 years ago in Stockton Cal.
I'm in Monterey Ca and after years of doing other things my son asked me if I wanted to get back in the business with him.
Not really wanting too, I'm starting out slowly and find myself interested. I'm taking my time in designing my business cards and letter heads. There designed to make the 2 man company look larger than what it actually is. Right now I need introduction letters to send to certain businesses that I choose. Any suggestions? I'm rusty at this. I know the work just trying to modernise things.

Charles Gray

Little's
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Charles,
Welcome from Redding. there is a ton of info on this site that you can use. What you cant find here, you can google and get good results too. Thats what I did. Also, I found a graphic artist this week on Craigslist willing to trade work. I will be meeting her this weekend to go over work that needs done.

Steve
05-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi Charles,

Welcome to our forum.

There are a bunch of letters in the free marketing template section here (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34).

Do you feel it is easier for you the second time around because you have had much experience in the past? If so, which parts do you find easier? What skills have you been able to bring with you from operating your previous businesses?

roclin
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Look forward to your information Brandon. Would love to kick around some ideas.

roclin
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Charles,

Welcome to our forum.

There are a bunch of letters in the free marketing template section here (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34).

Do you feel it is easier for you the second time around because you have had much experience in the past? If so, which parts do you find easier? What skills have you been able to bring with you from operating your previous businesses?

It's easier on many levels. First, business cards/letter heads/t-shirts etc through VistaPrint. I've used the service many times for my Wedding photography business to sprinkler repair. Great service. Another way is my confidence, age, knowing what to say and be able to answer most questions is a plus and not being afraid what to do. If I cannot answer something I tell them I'd get back to them and make sure I do.
I've always been good about customer service through communication. I remember when my lawn mower/truck would break down and I did not have the skills to fix it, I would go buy a new/used one to keep going.
Think how that would look when I called my commercial customer and said,"I'm sorry my mower broke, but I'll mow it next week when it comes out of the shop". That will never happen! Get a back up. Delays do not work for any business. Never make an excuse. Either you can do it or not.Truth always stands up.
There are times when you have tried everything to keep an account but you loose it anyway. Send flowers or a thank you card even if it was your fault. Your reputation will build long term as a nice guy. There are many other things but remember PL&PD insurance....get it.