PDA

View Full Version : Another New Service, well actually two

picframer
05-06-2009, 06:59 AM
I try to spend one night a week looking at comments I recorded from clients, I enter this in a spreadsheet and keep track of services asked about we do not offer, if it happens on a regular basis then I start my research.

Black flies and Mosquito's are a serious issue here, in keeping with our Organic only policy I started to research, contacted my friend at Natures Magic who put me in contact with a company here in Canada that makes an Organic product, lasts 6 weeks, mainly Garlic and boy does it work and work well, so now that I have the product I wrote 11 clients who had asked last night, I have 9 replies this morning for a quote. It is made by

http://www.bjedistri-organic.com/cgi-bin/mm_core.pl?pid=2337&id_langue=en&id_produit=4

So now that I have my son home from University and on board, he hired three University friends Monday, all experienced equipment operators it has taken some of the heat off me so I can focus on clients needs and quotes.

I asked him last night to hire to more that would do spraying so we should be good to go by Friday.

Another new product is weed burning, I bought two kits out of Kansas, most of our current clients are on wells so we have to be desperate careful what we do to their lawns.

For pricing we will spray the Mosquito product by the gallon and leave it to the customer how much they want done, explain coverage etc. it lasts for about 6 weeks so this means we will be back which is what we want.

Weed busning is by the square foot, we have a number to do, just waiting for the equipment.

Anyhow folks a couple of things to consider.

Andy

Steve
05-06-2009, 07:04 AM
That is very interesting! Does that company offer you any marketing material to show how well it works on keeping away mosquitos?

WOW if you had a video or something to show the effect of it, something visual, I bet it would sell really fast.

picframer
05-06-2009, 07:37 AM
That is very interesting! Does that company offer you any marketing material to show how well it works on keeping away mosquitos?

WOW if you had a video or something to show the effect of it, something visual, I bet it would sell really fast.

Yes, I have a conference call this morning then a call with the local news paper, they want to do an interview that will be posted in mid May along with customer feedback, this will be huge.

Steve
05-06-2009, 08:14 AM
That is fantastic! Keep us updated on how it all turns out.

picframer
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
That is fantastic! Keep us updated on how it all turns out.

It's raining hard here today, at the moment too hard, we had 8 employees out spraying since 7 plus myself, I just sent them an email to hold off until it calms down. Anyhow at our morning staff conference call I introduced this new mosquito spray to all the staff and ask that they mention it to clients, reports back to me say we have 17 clients who either said do it or what will it cost. Still waiting to hear from the manufacturer. I am going to contact day care centres and schools, it will be ab easy sell and there are over 100 day care centres here, being classified as a food grade product by the USDA, it's going to be a hit.

Steve
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
How do you mention this to customers? Do you warn them of the dangers of diseases that Mosquitos can transmit like West Nile Virus? Or do you simply say we have this organic spray that can keep bugs away? Whats the best way to go about this?

picframer
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Two ways, on a visit the first time they swat one which is generally within a few seconds you simply state, Mosquito's are a pain, we have an Organic product proven to drive them away if you are interested, works 100% of the time.

Here is the newspaper ad:

Mosquito’s Driving You Out?

Oakridge Yard Care has an Certified Organic spray for your backyard, cottage, daycare marinas, back yard pool, barbeque area, that will drive them away, each application will last up to six weeks and best of all it will not harm your children or pets. For a free estimate or should you have any questions, please contact us. Visit our website at www.oakridgeyardcare.ca or call 488-4673 for a free estimate

Steve
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Andy,

I gotta hand it to you. You are always thinking and you are a great salesman. That is very creative!

picframer
05-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Andy,

I gotta hand it to you. You are always thinking and you are a great salesman. That is very creative!

I'm in this to make money and great relationships with customers by filling needs that make sense to me. We are up to 11 employees as of noon today and more than enough work to keep them going.

It's about being aware of what the competition is doing well and not well, listen closely to the customers concerns, I picked up three more clients today from Lawn Rangers, they are a massive Canada wide company, I know know their weakness and am going after it full force, by the time they notice me we will be too big, same thing happened in the last company I took from the bottom to the top.

picframer
05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Andy,

I had to pull the spray crews at 10:30, it's raining like no tomorrow here so it's an on the phone day, paperwork etc.

Decided I would call 9 childcare centres, I know the owners fairly well as I served on the Childcare board for three years, explained what I was up to, and the new Mosquito spray product as they will be a serious issue in about two weeks, I have a four month program as the product only lasts 4 to 6 weeks, sold all 9 and have 5 appointments for tomorrow to look at their lawns and lawn care.

Years back in my security monitoring company I went after the schools in Halifax and area, they are all controlled by one board, there are 128, the chairman is a client and a very close friend, I just got off the phone with him as we haven't spoke since I ventured into this lawn care, explained the Mosquito product, they want a presentation Friday for all schools outside the city limits as bugs in the city are not a major issue, that is 103 schools, I guess they are not happy with their lawn care provider either and I know the company and the owner well but I explained it would be far too big for me this year however we can talk in the fall for next year.

Things are rolling, I now have 6 solid products that are going like wildfire, I have two on the burner I could announce but we need to grow into our shoes, at the moment even with my son taking on a large workload it's crazy busy.

This is going very well, better than planned but not in the areas I thought when I did my plan, sales wise I am way ahead of where I thought we would be.

Back to the phone, I want 15 childcare centres before supper.

Steve
05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
How will you scale all this up as demand picks up? We could all learn from your views on this.

I bet a lot of business owners would be frightened of things getting too big!

picframer
05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
How will you scale all this up as demand picks up? We could all learn from your views on this.

I bet a lot of business owners would be frightened of things getting too big!

I am concerned, we have only been in business so to speak for three weeks, I had things planned but according to my plan I am already way into year two.

I am going to stick to the size we are, we may have to hire two more for spraying and wood chipping but everything else will stay the way it is and if I have to turn business away, then that is what I will have to do and stick to bigger jobs so I don't have to move people and equipment around.

We are good on the management and admin side, actually very strong. The field staff are doing an amazing job and I haven't had one issue....yet....

swstout
05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I try to spend one night a week looking at comments I recorded from clients, I enter this in a spreadsheet and keep track of services asked about we do not offer, if it happens on a regular basis then I start my research.

Black flies and Mosquito's are a serious issue here, in keeping with our Organic only policy I started to research, contacted my friend at Natures Magic who put me in contact with a company here in Canada that makes an Organic product, lasts 6 weeks, mainly Garlic and boy does it work and work well, so now that I have the product I wrote 11 clients who had asked last night, I have 9 replies this morning for a quote. It is made by

http://www.bjedistri-organic.com/cgi-bin/mm_core.pl?pid=2337&id_langue=en&id_produit=4

So now that I have my son home from University and on board, he hired three University friends Monday, all experienced equipment operators it has taken some of the heat off me so I can focus on clients needs and quotes.

I asked him last night to hire to more that would do spraying so we should be good to go by Friday.

Another new product is weed burning, I bought two kits out of Kansas, most of our current clients are on wells so we have to be desperate careful what we do to their lawns.

For pricing we will spray the Mosquito product by the gallon and leave it to the customer how much they want done, explain coverage etc. it lasts for about 6 weeks so this means we will be back which is what we want.

Weed busning is by the square foot, we have a number to do, just waiting for the equipment.

Anyhow folks a couple of things to consider.

Andy

The website seems to indicate that they do business only in Canada. It also gives no pricing. Quantities, but no pricing.

I sent an email to <TABLE border=0 width=200><TBODY><TR><TD class=site_text align=left><NOBR>Info@BJEDistri-Organic.com</NOBR> (Info@BJEDistri-Organic.com)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>but havn't received a reply yet.

Steve

picframer
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
The website seems to indicate that they do business only in Canada. It also gives no pricing. Quantities, but no pricing.

I sent an email to <TABLE border=0 width=200><TBODY><TR><TD class=site_text align=left><NOBR>Info@BJEDistri-Organic.com</NOBR> (Info@BJEDistri-Organic.com)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>but havn't received a reply yet.

Steve

It is quite a bit cheaper than the Natures Magic however they do not have all the products they do. Email Erick Laporte <isodome@qc.aira.com> for pricing info

swstout
05-06-2009, 11:10 PM
It is quite a bit cheaper than the Natures Magic however they do not have all the products they do. Email Erick Laporte <ISODOME@QC.AIRA.COM>for pricing info

Thank you, I will

Steve

swstout
05-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Andy,
I contacted a former classmate who now teaches horticulture at SUNY College of Agriculture, Morrisville and asked him about Hawkweed. He emailed me a response. Hawkweed grows extremely well in soils deficient in Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Boron, Zinc, cobalt and Manganese. I think most of these are in Nature's Magic products. Hope this helps.

Steve

picframer
05-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Andy,
I contacted a former classmate who now teaches horticulture at SUNY College of Agriculture, Morrisville and asked him about Hawkweed. He emailed me a response. Hawkweed grows extremely well in soils deficient in Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Boron, Zinc, cobalt and Manganese. I think most of these are in Nature's Magic products. Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks and yes they are, I want to be certain we have done everything we can do before I put top soil down and sod, I don't want the client calling a few months down the road saying guess what.

Had a bit of a set back late yesterday, Insurance will not cover us to burn a clients weeds with a torch, fire department will not allow it either, I can let a client use the burner and they can take the risk without a burning permit but if something catches fire, their insurance will not cover any damages either.

Anyhow we shall plug on, I am keeping the clients with this problem in the loop of what I am doing each day on the research side and they write saying they appreciate the efforts, most so far however have been in vain.

Two clients want us to come in with machinery and remove everything, I don't really see that as an option, just too big of a job and man what a mess that would be. My gut tells me sure as heck there will be seeds left behind somewhere and I will have done all this in vain. At least cost is not an issue with any in this group, they just want it fixed.

Good learning experience though.

CHEESE2009
05-09-2009, 06:06 PM
That's cool.

I currently focus on Lawn Maintenance, but I would love to give a bit of care & product to my customers lawns.

I think I will look into it, I really need something for grubs. They are taking over several lawns & I can't figure out the proper solution. I wish I could make my own product. All I can do is advise people not to re sod their lawn until they destroy the grubs they have, but I have no proper solution to advertise.

picframer
05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
That's cool.

I currently focus on Lawn Maintenance, but I would love to give a bit of care & product to my customers lawns.

I think I will look into it, I really need something for grubs. They are taking over several lawns & I can't figure out the proper solution. I wish I could make my own product. All I can do is advise people not to re sod their lawn until they destroy the grubs they have, but I have no proper solution to advertise.

That is an easy one bud, buy some Nematodes and mix them with water, they will wipe them out in no time. They are all natural and will wipe out more than grub insects such as beetles, armyworms, cutworms, chafers, webworms, borers, maggots, fleas, fungus gnats etc.

I have used them a few times with amazing results, 48 hours and your problem is solved.

CHEESE2009
05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
That is an easy one bud, buy some Nematodes and mix them with water, they will wipe them out in no time. They are all natural and will wipe out more than grub insects such as beetles, armyworms, cutworms, chafers, webworms, borers, maggots, fleas, fungus gnats etc.

I have used them a few times with amazing results, 48 hours and your problem is solved.

Is there a specific time the procedure must be done? I've heard of them before, I just wasn't sure if I'd end up with them crawling under my skin lol or other things.

Love the idea, I will look into it!

picframer
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Is there a specific time the procedure must be done? I've heard of them before, I just wasn't sure if I'd end up with them crawling under my skin lol or other things.

Love the idea, I will look into it!

Very early morning and they do not effect humans or pets. I have used them a few times for Grub