PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

shorthorn
05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Just joined the forums here, so I thought I would tell you all alittle about myself. I own a fairly good sized piece of property, about 4 acres of grass. I would not in any light consider myself a "Pro" by any means, but I am this year doing some side jobs in lawn care. An elderaly doctor that my mom used to work for, liked the way my yard looked and ask if I would do his yard this year, and I was recently approaced by my church to care for their lawn as well... So I only have two jobs, but the bug has somewhat bitten, so I am entertaining getting a few more yards. I don't own alot of fancy equipment, just some "nice" stuff that I have used on my own yard. If anyone has any advice for a guy looking to do lawn care on a small scale, please feel free to drop me a line.

Chad Hertz
John Deere x320 w/ mulch kit
John Deere SB14 Push Mower
Troy Bilt, Straight Shaft 4 cycle trimmer

Steve
05-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi Chad,

Welcome to our forum.

If you get paid for what you do you are a professional :) Good for you!

You seem to be doing fine so far. How many customers would you like to have? Would you want to go full time with this?

shorthorn
05-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Steve..

I do not plan to go full time with lawn care. The idea really was just for supplemental income to help pay off the x320 and work on some medical bills we had from when our son.

I am thinking maybe one or two more jobs would be plenty. Of course I have the "freebie's" that tie up some time as well (my grandma and the inlaws yards I do as well).

Steve
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Maybe make some business cards up and hand them out to people you know as you go.

Advertise on craigslist. That is free.

Another thing we have seen that seems to be working is newspaper ads in the service section.

Keep us posted on how everything goes.

Scottler
05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Chad - I think you and I are pretty similar. We both enjoy taking care of our own yards, and decided to "pick up some side money", then the more we read about it, the more we liked it. What makes us different (other than you already being out there cutting) is that I'd ideally go full time someday.

Congrats on the birth of your son. We had our daughter in November, so I can totally relate to those extra expenses not covered by insurance!