PDA

View Full Version : My company is growing and now I have growing pains

neukam
05-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Hey Fourm it has been about 2 months since I have been on here. Business is growing great and I just hired a part time helper last week. Next week I am going to be installing a cedar fence which I will be making about 2000 profit from and I have been taking about 75% profit from each job and buying equipment.

Here is where I need help with the profit I will have for equipment. I am stuck on what I should buy. With $1500 for equipment I am thinking about buying a trailer that is forsale in the area it is 4x8 with 2ft tall sides. I know I will buy that. I will have about 1000 left and I ahve been looking at buying a bigger mower I know I don't need anything bigger than a 38 inch mower what do you think I sould buy a good used lawn tractor or a large walk behind? I have found tons of lawn tractors in that price and a few walk behinds. What do you think I should do?

Steve
05-04-2009, 05:20 AM
In the past on the forum we have talked about 'iron addiction.' That is the desire for a lawn care business owner to want to continually buy bigger and better equipment.

My question is, what do you REALLY need? What do you have now that you feel you NEED to replace? Can you get the job done now with what you got and bank the money until an opportunity pops up that you can take advantage of?

CHEESE2009
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
In the past on the forum we have talked about 'iron addiction.' That is the desire for a lawn care business owner to want to continually buy bigger and better equipment.

My question is, what do you REALLY need? What do you have now that you feel you NEED to replace? Can you get the job done now with what you got and bank the money until an opportunity pops up that you can take advantage of?

Out of all the customers I've spoken to, none of them like the big machines. Past & Present customers with other companies.

It's faster to have one, the cut is decent. Apparently nothing beats the look of nice walk behind mowers lines.

I did a customers lawn today & her neighbor talked to be for 20 minutes, (we all know this type of person) so she said she's spoken about me to a few of her friends & I'm guaranteed customers. She is also going to hire me once she stops with the company she signed with because THEY use big tools on her lawn & she doesn't like it.

In my opinion, use a big machine only if you need to, usually commercials.

Let's say it takes 20 minutes to do a lawn, if you think using a walk behind will take more than 20 minutes on a certain lawn, use the big tool, always stay in your time frame per lawn. Just a suggestion.

I just bought a new Stihl whippersnipper, the thing is a beast!

The bad part about it, after my customer, I went home to test it out againts my old whippersnipper. My dog came out of nowhere, so I accidently created a hole in his dog house...

I don't think he's too happy.

CHEESE2009
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
what do you think I sould buy a good used lawn tractor or a large walk behind? I have found tons of lawn tractors in that price and a few walk behinds. What do you think I should do?

Save up! Get yourself a Walker, or a Dixie!

Walker has a cleaner & better looking cut, it's also pretty fast. The only problem would be falling asleep on it (it's comfy). Another downside would be hills or bumps, but you will get by!

Dixie is fast as lightning, but the cut is poor. It will cut the grass, but it won't look to good. It has a good advantage in hills, you will be able to do them to a certain degree if you can ride it good.

I recommend a Walker, also note the price is pretty darn high. It's well worth it!

neukam
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Well right now I am running a 22" com. toro and a new echo weedeater/blower/stick edger.

Most of my yards take about 30 minutes to do by myself with the equipment I have. I have 18 yards like this now.

But I have 5 other yards that a larger and take about 45 minutes to a hour to cut with my equipment. And I see me getting about 5 more of these contracts this season.

I have been thinking about getting a walk behind that is a 36" cut to clear the gates.

But I am not sure.

They only walk behind I have experiance on is a scag, and it was alright but I wasn't experianced with it. I have used all diffrent types of zero turns and my pick would be a kubota or a exmark.

BUt still not sure what I want. I am hoping to buy something buy the end of the month

Steve
05-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Are you keeping an eye on the local classifieds and craigslist to see what is available used in your area? An opportunity might arise that you can jump on and get a good deal on a used walk-behind.

neukam
05-05-2009, 09:27 AM
been watching like a hawk!

CHEESE2009
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I hate craigslist, sure I get 10 calls a day. Too bad their asking me to give them my service in cities too far away :( ...

And every day I'll get a post saying, "Hi Breeze, I was wondering if you could clean my house bla bla" it's frustrating when people don't read what service I'm offering.

The best way for me to get customers, is to start with one & they will refer you to their friends. It spreads like Swine Flu....

I confront a lot of people now, when I see someone doing work around the house, usually the person is frustrated & fed up with the work, so it's the best time to strike in & offer your service/business card.

I've been hopping over fences all day reaching customers through their backyards lol,

Customer: "That was a great jump, how did you do that?!"

fact is, my friends & I used to play this game called, "man-go-seek"

Man-go-seek is like hide & go seek, but the searchers drive around in their cars & use paintball sniper rifles to shoot us. It's like hunting, but better.

It's fun as hell, very immature too. Now my fence hopping skills are elite ... lmao

And no, I didn't tell the customer that story!

SuperiorPower
05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
It spreads like Swine Flu....

How does swine flu spread?!?!?!?!?!:D

CHEESE2009
05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I hope the world keeps eating pork, pork ribs are KEY to a happy life.

swstout
05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
How does swine flu spread?!?!?!?!?!:D

The Swine Flu virus can survive on an exposed surface for no longer than 2 hours. According to the World Health Organization, there are only 342 confirmed cases in the world, with 32 deaths. The deaths and infections occur (like the normal annual influenza) in the very young, the immune impared and the very old. It can be airborn but the transmission rate is minimal. It cannot survive more than 3 host bodies. John gets it and gives it to Jane who gives it to Dan. Dan can't give it to anybody else.

Steve

neukam
05-05-2009, 11:15 PM
WEll the swine flu has been crazy down here in central texas I am thinking about ofering a swine flu special. Haha

But craigslist is a great way to find equipment but I hate using it to get more business. I have been picking up about a yard a week. And I have been doing some big installs. I average about 8 installs a month.

Steve
05-06-2009, 07:11 AM
That is fantastic. When you get new clients to you go to the neighboring homes and put a flyer or business card in the door to try and build up your route more?

neukam
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
oh yeah after I get a new maintance contract and we start I go to each neighbor and put a flier on there door for about 2 months. It works but it doesn't at the same time.