PDA

View Full Version : Live from New York!!

Scottler
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey gang,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I live in upstate New York (the capital district for any of you locals).

A brief history of me would be best summarized by saying I'm the guy who has always wanted to be self-employed, but I've always had one thousand things that I enjoy doing, so picking one was never easy.

A few weeks back, I was mowing my lawn, and the light bulb flashed. "You idiot," I thought. "You've been doing this since you were twelve, and you enjoy it! You should be getting paid to do it!"

So that started the journey to learn as much as I could to get the ball rolling this year. Sure, I can cut the grass, but I needed to offer more than that. While looking for videos on YouTube about dethatching, I found GopherForum. Took the class and here I am, more eager than ever. Now I just need to come up with a name I can live with (then re-take the class to get the "official" name on my certificate! LOL)

That's me in a nutshell. Apologies for my long-windedness. I tend to get carried away sometimes.

Looking forward to talking to you all!

turfmaster
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

Steve
05-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Hi Scott,

Welcome to our forum!

(then re-take the class to get the "official" name on my certificate! LOL)

What ever name you choose I can always edit the name for you, no problem.

What are you doing now to promote your business?

Are you involved in your community? Do you know a lot of people you can promote yourself too?

Scottler
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
What ever name you choose I can always edit the name for you, no problem.

Actually, I've decided to stick with the original name that I'd come up with, so no editing will be needed, thanks. LOL

What are you doing now to promote your business? Are you involved in your community? Do you know a lot of people you can promote yourself too?

To be completely candid, right now I'm getting my "affairs" in order. I'm writing my marketing material, getting a good grip on what equipment I already have, what I can offer, filing my DBA, etc.

As for community contacts, yes and no. I live in your typical suburban subdivision, so I'm going to bombard the development with literature. I also have a friend who is a realtor, so I'm going to chat her up a bit and see if we could reach a mutually beneficial relationship on that end. As much as I'm skeptical of mixing business and friendship like that, I think it's a relationship that could be of help to both of us.

CHEESE2009
05-05-2009, 12:30 AM
THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

Just kiddin'

WELCOME!

What kind of equipment do you have currently enabling you to start a service?

Scottler
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, but when were you born? LOL

For what will hopefully be a short time at first, I'm just using my personal equipment. I have the advantage (and disadvantage) in that I'm also going to stay with my full time job in healthcare for the first season and try to put all of my money back into the business to upgrade next year.