PDA

View Full Version : Weed Control

swstout
05-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Weed Control

Does anyone know of a weed control product (preferably a liquid) for the organic, environmentally safe lawn market?

Steve

picframer
05-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Weed Control

Does anyone know of a weed control product (preferably a liquid) for the organic, environmentally safe lawn market?

Steve

Steve, Natures Magic has one that works well, he can't however sell it to me in Canada as he doesn't have the distribution rights, you should contact them to see if they can sell to you.

Failing which I spray a product I mix myself, it works very well. It is made up of

1 gallon of white vinegar.
1 cup of table salt.
1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap.

swstout
05-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Steve, Natures Magic has one that works well, he can't however sell it to me in Canada as he doesn't have the distribution rights, you should contact them to see if they can sell to you.

I didn't see any weed control listing on the Nature's Magic site. That was the first place I looked. I was Aerify, Aerify Plus, Nature's, Dethatcher, Fish Oil, and Insect control. Is it one of these or do they have a product just for weed control?

Steve

picframer
05-02-2009, 06:14 AM
I didn't see any weed control listing on the Nature's Magic site. That was the first place I looked. I was Aerify, Aerify Plus, Nature's, Dethatcher, Fish Oil, and Insect control. Is it one of these or do they have a product just for weed control?

Steve

No, they have another product not listed, send me an email and I will send you Stuarts, he is the owner, alondon(at)oakridgeyardcare.ca

turfmaster
06-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Failing which I spray a product I mix myself, it works very well. It is made up of

1 gallon of white vinegar.
1 cup of table salt.
1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap.

Andy,
Is there any water mixed with the mixture you have listed above?
I want to experiment on my lawn which is about 100,000 sq. ft.
I have a Fimco 25 gallon sprayer.
How many sq.ft does the above mixture cover?

Thanks,

swstout
06-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Andy,
Is there any water mixed with the mixture you have listed above?
I want to experiment on my lawn which is about 100,000 sq. ft.
I have a Fimco 25 gallon sprayer.
How many sq.ft does the above mixture cover?

Thanks,

Hi Turfmaster,

I'm not Andy but I know Nature's Magic has their weed control product for shipment now. It is $95.00 per 5 gallon and it mixes at 1 quart to 1 gallon water.

I received their email about current shipping Friday. I have not tried it yet but I ordered 5 gallons to test. I beleive if Andy says it works, it will work.

Steve

picframer
06-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi Turfmaster,

I'm not Andy but I know Nature's Magic has their weed control product for shipment now. It is $95.00 per 5 gallon and it mixes at 1 quart to 1 gallon water.

I received their email about current shipping Friday. I have not tried it yet but I ordered 5 gallons to test. I believe if Andy says it works, it will work.

Steve

Turfmaster, I mix the manual solution with 5 gallons of water, a gallon does 1,000 square feet.

As Steve notes I have been using an Organic product that is made or put together here in Canada that Natures Lawn Care is now selling in the USA. This Organic product is a process and what I mean by that is you need to sell at least three, preferably four sprays to get the lawn back to where it belongs and drive the weeds out. Overseeding is critical, we mow to 2" overseed, roll and then spray. after which we spray every four weeks for a total of four sprays.

100,000 square feet is going to be an expensive venture, it does not eliminate broadleaf weeds in my experience so far.

Andy

turfmaster
06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys for your reply.
I will go to Natures Lawn Care's web site and check it out.

Randy

picframer
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys for your reply.
I will go to Natures Lawn Care's web site and check it out.

Randy

Randy, Any questions at all ask away, we have sprayed hundreds of gallons of this stuff, if you need tips on selling etc just ask.

rom818
04-24-2010, 07:13 AM
I've been poking around here for a little bit now, and I'm very intrigued by the natural products that you (Andy) and Steve have mentioned in several posts. I've decided to be a totally organic maintenance company, but I'm new to the business and my question regards scheduling for these products. Do either of you guys follow a schedule for the application of these products?

Thanks,
Jason

swstout
04-24-2010, 08:32 AM
I've been poking around here for a little bit now, and I'm very intrigued by the natural products that you (Andy) and Steve have mentioned in several posts. I've decided to be a totally organic maintenance company, but I'm new to the business and my question regards scheduling for these products. Do either of you guys follow a schedule for the application of these products?

Thanks,
Jason

Each job is different but there are some guidelines I offer depending on the turf.
http://organiclawncarestore.web.officelive.com/OrganicLawnCareCalander.aspx (http://organiclawncarestore.web.officelive.com/OrganicLawnCareCalander.aspx)

The more you know about your area's turf, the better you can sell.

Steve

rom818
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Each job is different but there are some guidelines I offer depending on the turf.
http://organiclawncarestore.web.officelive.com/OrganicLawnCareCalander.aspx (http://organiclawncarestore.web.officelive.com/OrganicLawnCareCalander.aspx)

The more you know about your area's turf, the better you can sell.

Steve

Thank you for the link. I asked another question in the forum here http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11677

I understand that in mid summer I can spray English ivy with post chemicals like round-up and it will kill existing weeds but it will not harm the ivy. Is this true, and are there any organic mixtures that will perform similarly? Perhaps I could use the vinegar mixture mentioned before?

Jason

swstout
04-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Thank you for the link. I asked another question in the forum here http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11677

I understand that in mid summer I can spray English ivy with post chemicals like round-up and it will kill existing weeds but it will not harm the ivy. Is this true, and are there any organic mixtures that will perform similarly? Perhaps I could use the vinegar mixture mentioned before?

Jason

I have no idea on that. My experience with Roundup is that it kills everythin. Vinegar defoliates but does not affect the roots of weeds.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Steve

rom818
04-24-2010, 09:46 PM
I have no idea on that. My experience with Roundup is that it kills everythin. Vinegar defoliates but does not affect the roots of weeds.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Steve

Do you think the vinegar mixture and an application of corn gluton would do the trick?

stew6371
05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Turfmaster, I mix the manual solution with 5 gallons of water, a gallon does 1,000 square feet.

As Steve notes I have been using an Organic product that is made or put together here in Canada that Natures Lawn Care is now selling in the USA. This Organic product is a process and what I mean by that is you need to sell at least three, preferably four sprays to get the lawn back to where it belongs and drive the weeds out. Overseeding is critical, we mow to 2" overseed, roll and then spray. after which we spray every four weeks for a total of four sprays.

100,000 square feet is going to be an expensive venture, it does not eliminate broadleaf weeds in my experience so far.

Andy

In the above post, what do you mean by "roll" before you spray? Actually the question should be why? How does it benefit yard?

swstout
05-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Do you think the vinegar mixture and an application of corn gluton would do the trick?

Gluten8 is a pre-emergent weed controller. It works by preventing germination of seeds. I feel that if you are going to mix something with the Gluten8, you should ad Aerivy or Aerify+. Aerated soil really aids grass rooting. If the grass roots are down 4 inches, the grass is healthy at a height of 4 inches. Get the grass healthy, mow it at 3 inches and let the grass shade the weeds. Most weeds require full sum. Healthy grass roots will growd out the weed roots.

Also, the soil pH effects weed growth. Most weeds prefer soil pH above 6.5. Make the soil inhospitable to weeds and they will disappear. With the exception of St. Augustine grass all turfs can thrive at a pH of 6.2. Centipede prefers a pH of 4.0 to 6.0.

In most cases, weeds are present because the turf is unhealthy. Just killing off the weeds doesn’t solve the problem, it just covers it up. Make the turf and soil healthy to solve the problem.

Steve

J-Rod
05-04-2010, 11:11 PM

Jason

Roundup will kill the Ivy. Their are some situations where you can use roundup like on completely dormant bermuda and centipede. I do not know of any organic products but a product called IMAGE may help clear out the weeds without much harm to the Ivy.