PDA

View Full Version : Generations

Steve
04-28-2009, 08:19 PM
How do you feel you and your generation is doing compared to your father's generation or your grandfathers?

Better, same or worse?

picframer
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
How do you feel you and your generation is doing compared to your father's generation or your grandfathers?

Better, same or worse?

In what way, finances, new technology, quality of life etc.

swstout
04-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Better, same or worse?

I'm 60 so my father's generation was 60 years ago and I was just born.
Home entertainment was a radio the size of an oven
A brand new Model T cost $500.00
There was no minimum age
There was no TV
Houses sold for under $1,000.00
They had very small and few closets. No need - Work cloths and schools cloths only
Political Correctness was the measure of a politicians integrity

My generation was 40 years ago and I was 20 then
The legal drinking age was 18 and the vote age was 21!
Gas was $0.20 a gallon
The minimum wage was $2.00
There was a mandatory draft
A high School passing grade was 75
Schools ran the students
Music stations on the radio were on AM
Talk Shows on the radio were on FM
A calculator was a slide rule
Cable TV was just starting
Most homes didn't even have locks on the doors
Doctors made house calls
There was 1 lawyer for every 1,000 people
Nuclear power was new and touted as too cheap to meter
A microwave oven cost $800.00
Political correctness was good citizenship

My kids generation
High School passing grade was 55 in NY
Teachers have no control over the students
1 lawyer for every 20 people
Common sense has been replaced with warning labels
Political correctness became "watch what you say or you'll be sued"
This generation
1 lawyer for every 35 people
Gas - you have to check your prices daily
No more citizen rights - just politician rights.
This generation baffles me

How do I feel the generations compare? Bring back the good old days!

Steve

majoe7
04-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Steve, (Stout)

That was great.

I believe my Pops generation way the hardest. He would be 80 this year. He was born during the depression (1929) orphaned, many different boarding schools, went into the Army, served in the Korean War, POW for 2 1/2 years, then can home to be ďthe ManĒ. He married my Mom and had 6 children, one passed on as an infant. He never gave up and always gave it his best. Not to brag, but I will. My parents were very well like in our community and always gave back. They always prevailed and had a strong belief in their Catholic faith.

We all turned out alright. The lesson he always told us was, to always do our best, strive for more, don't lie and be respectful to others. I instill those thoughts to my children all the time. My parents were a big part of my kidís life and very well loved by them.

I'm 43 and my generation has everything. All you have to do is to have the drive to succeed and belief in yourself. Everything that myself or my family has is due to hard work and dedication. Our faith is always first. It is easy for my generation to survive because we have so many opportunities available to us. Like I said before in an other post, If you want more work more, canít afford it donít buy it, live with in your means.

The next generation will have to have a better work ethic and learn to pick themselves up after they had failed or not succeeded at something. We need to bring back some old style of doing things or discipline so this generation my young kids are in understand the value of respect. They need to make a difference for us, them and the next generation coming up.

Sincerely,

John

turfmaster
04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I am 48 and I echo the last 2 posts. My son's are 22 and 20. My opinion is they will not have it as good as I have had it. I say that for many reasons. Work ethic, the direction our country has gone into, global economy, big government,
loss of good jobs just to name a few. I hope I am wrong.

TURF

Steve
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
In what way, finances, new technology, quality of life etc.

Well, ultimately all of that. :)

swstout
04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I say that for many reasons. Work ethic, the direction our country has gone into, global economy, big government,
loss of good jobs just to name a few. I hope I am wrong.

TURF

I also hope you're not wrong. I'm not conderned about the global economy; I'm concerned about the US economy! I am concerned about big government. The bigger it gets the less rights we have. The greater the threat of inflation, the certainty of higher taxes, the run away entitlements that just keep growing and expanding. Manufacturing jobs are either being sent outside the US because of regulations and cost of doing business (regulations, legal costs, liability costs (unreasable limits), and taxes or behind in technology and quality. Our education system is so far behind the rest of the industrial nations, it's a joke. My youngest daughter when she was in the 10th grade went on an exchange program to Japan and was placed in the 3rd grade there. That's how far she was in math and science! Passing grade in Japan high schools is 85 and that is concidered a disgrace. High school is to the 10th grade there and their graduates have more science and math than our BS degrees here.

I'm ranting again.

Steve

picframer
04-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Well, ultimately all of that. :)

I am 47, I think my generation is a lot better off financially, quality of life can be what you make it, I am very thankful to have just over 4 acres 15 min outside the city, I could not stand having my neighbours house within arms reach of mine.

When I grew up we bought our first TV when I was about 9, I watched it once in the while but not often, it is still rare that I watch TV, being outside to me was and still is a lot more fun and in some respects I feel like I am reliving my youth, difference is I have the resources to buy the tools and equipment I need and want and wisdom, started my first business when I was 12.

Technology today is simply amazing, I am glad to be the age I am to have seen a major shift in technology, I worked at the bank in 1982 when we installed our first computer, I worked in what they called systems for three years, basically IT and training people, that was a blast.

I like simple things, I am somewhat a collector of woodworking tools and tools for the yard care company, love tractors and now have 5, I take a trip to the Mayan Rivera every Feb with my daughter who is now 16, other than that I live a pretty simple life and want to keep it that way, when things get too complicated I make changes to shift it back.

Andy

musician/lawnman
04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I am 32, I believe Most of the people in my generation (& the generation right behind us ) Lack focus, drive, responsibility, & common sense. I totally agree the school system has failed, Kids are out of control, Political correctness makes people weak. Life is tough, people say & do mean things, it's not always "nice". Kids are sheltered & overprotected. Then enter the real world with a warped sense of reality and a sense of entitlement. I believe parents should be able to hit (not beat the hell out of) but hit their kids when they get out of line. As a child If I acted up, talked back, or stepped out of line I got the belt as a younger child, & as a teen I got smacked, or worse. I learned there are consequences for what you do. I learned to respect my elders.
Today 5th graders tell the teachers off swearing & all, I know of a case that this kid did so, was called to the principals office & did the same to the principal, parents were called in & the kid said to his parent, teacher, & principal.... " None of you can do "sh*t about it, I'll do what I want, & dad if you hit me I'll just call the cops!" That kid needs his *** kicked in.

Many friends of mine lack any common sense whatsoever. Book smart, yeah but dumb as a brick. Many have no ambition to do anything. It's like the empathy generation. Also they lack any competitiveness at all?

What's this crap that every kid who tries out for the team makes it?
Every kid on the team gets a minimum number of plays on the field per game?
I kid you not, these are rules in the pop warner youth football league.
Life isn't fair, kids should still be taught that from a young age. If you suck more than other kids your age, then go home, practice & come back next year. Try again. That's how life is right? Not everybody who applies for a job gets it? Not everyone gets equal pay? or # of hours? The best guy is hired & put in the position. So should it be in youth sports, right up through highschool. Currently this doesn't come into effect until college sports.
I'm done ranting for now.

musician/lawnman
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, I figured my last post on this topic would have incited a riot or something....
Nobody has anything else to say after that? Two days & nada word huh?
:cool:

turfmaster
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Well Chuck I will add a little fuel to the fire. I agree totally with you. As a compliment to you I am suprised that you think this way for being only 32.
Your parents must have instilled some good values and work ethic in your upbringing. To be fair there are some people in your age group that think like yourself but for the most part "the video game generation" are spoiled little brats that had everything handed to them and don't know the value of a dollar or how to work for it. :D

musician/lawnman
05-01-2009, 08:56 PM
My parents did do a good job I think. They weren't perfect, but I've never been one to blame everything in the world on what my parents did or didn't do. I am the oldest of 5 boys, Both of my parents are from families where they were one of 6 children. Money was always tight. My parents (even if they had been able) refused to help me buy my 1st car (or any car after that). They felt that if they bought it, I would not respect it, or care for it. That I would beat on it & drive wreakless & possibly kill myself in the process. If I worked hard for the car, I would drive it more cautiously & appreciate that I had worked hard, saved & gotten something I wanted.
Ya know what? It works! (off main topic: don't buy your kids a car.)

People my age generally disappoint & piss me off. I hear people whine about what their childhood was like & how bad it was...
1) Take some responsibility, pull up your pants & move on.
2) My childhood from about 7yrs old-12yrs old (right in the middle of what they say are the important "personality developement years") was SCREWED UP worse than most horror stories you've read/seen. Life's a b*tch so what?

Steve W
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Aman Brothers!!!!!!!!!:d
Makes Mr Wanna Shout!!!!!!!!

Steve
05-01-2009, 10:23 PM
There are many great thoughts posted in this thread so far.

Take some responsibility, pull up your pants & move on.

It does seem that a lot of the time people fail to succeed because they create this list of others who they feel did something to them. A list of others who are to blame. It becomes like a crutch. Or it can be used as a crutch.

It is fascinating to think about all the ways we try to stop ourselves from doing anything or getting anywhere. We are our own worst enemy. If we can get over ourselves then we just might be able to do it.

Very fascinating topic.

SuperiorPower
05-01-2009, 11:52 PM
well said guys. I am 28 years old and I believe that our newest generation has been "programmed" to fail. We have far too many who love to use our newest generation as guinea pigs to see what kind of weird lazy snot nosed idiots they can create. I don't know that anymore can be said other than what has already been said. I just thank my dad for encouraging me to work (encouragement with a belt that is) and taught me the values of good hard work along with honesty and the good feeling you get from doing something while being honest, fair, and working hard.........

Eli

Steve W
05-02-2009, 12:27 AM
well said guys. I am 28 years old and I believe that our newest generation has been "programmed" to fail. We have far too many who love to use our newest generation as guinea pigs to see what kind of weird lazy snot nosed idiots they can create. I don't know that anymore can be said other than what has already been said. I just thank my dad for encouraging me to work (encouragement with a belt that is) and taught me the values of good hard work along with honesty and the good feeling you get from doing something while being honest, fair, and working hard.........

Eli

28?? I have been on this site and reading things here for a couple of months now,,,,,28?? I SURE thought you was an OLD MAN... LOL
Nothing wrong with being old,, But i just thought you would have been older.

Am I the only one that thought this?

swstout
05-02-2009, 12:47 AM
28?? I have been on this site and reading things here for a couple of months now,,,,,28?? I SURE thought you was an OLD MAN... LOL
Nothing wrong with being old,, But i just thought you would have been older.

Am I the only one that thought this?

I placed Eli in his early to mid 30's. He has the technology savy of youth and drive that most in their 20's don't have.

Steve

swstout
05-02-2009, 01:30 AM
My parents did do a good job I think. They weren't perfect, but I've never been one to blame everything in the world on what my parents did or didn't do.

Tonight, I blame my parents for not making me learn Spanish (just kidding)! I have been 3 1/2 hours assembling a 12 Cu ft lawn dump trailer. I am sure that if I could read Spanish the assembly instructions would make some sense. The English version sure doesn't! Use the original - not the translation.

I had to remove things 3 times so I could do the next step and then had to reinstall them.

Steve

VPS Lawn Care
05-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Life is like a roller coaster, you have to push the cars up hill & hold it so it dont pull you down fast, dont stop pushing or the cars will roll right back over you and crush you.

Moral to the story, dont stop pushing, it is always hard, but always worth it. Life is full of hills and vallys, so keep pushing up.

Steve W
05-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by musician/lawnman
My parents did do a good job I think. They weren't perfect, but I've never been one to blame everything in the world on what my parents did or didn't do.
I agree, No one in thier right mind should ever blame their parents for the way their life has turned out. Because once you get of age it's all on your shoulders then, If you knew what your folks were doing was wrong, then you should know not to follow that road.

SuperiorPower
05-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Guys, thanks for the vote of confidence. I can't take credit for it myself but rather gotta tell y'all, my parents are responsible for beating it into my thick skull. I know they wondered many times if I was going to get it or not. Now I gotta thank them for it..... You know my dad always told me if you can figure out how it works, you can figure out how to fix it. I believe I got a lot of my knowledge from him in things just like that. He could fix anything and passed a lot of that along to me (I am not nearly as good as he is but then I have not been doing it for 45 years either, only close to 15). Again, thanks.

musician/lawnman
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
If you knew what your folks were doing was wrong, then you should know not to follow that road.

Absolutely, The problem is most follow almost unconciously in the same footsteps as their parents & make many of the same mistakes since that's what they grew up with, that becomes their deffinition of "normal".
You have to actively work at breaking the cycle of bad behaviors or bad habits to improve your life & that of your children.
For instance, I grew up hearing my parents fight, over bills, money, whatever.... When I started dating my wife (& I had never done this in any prior relationship) we eventually got into a conversation that started to escallate into what would have been our 1st fight. Then it hit me like a brick... I turned to her & said look, I am not doing this, my parents faught all the time. We are adults so we can either talk to each other like adults, or we need to go to our own corners, cool off & try again later. I refuse to fight, yell, scream, or stand there & listen to anyone else doing it in my direction anymore. Yelling only flairs tempers, you start to say things you don't mean just trying to "win" the fight. You can't take those things back & it can easily drive 2 people apart. It serves no productive purpose.
As a result of breaking that bad habit, I have been living with my wife for 8 years, Married for almost 5 yrs. We have 2 kids, and have NEVER had a fight.
We disagree from time to time & talk it out. but No yelling, screaming, door slamming, etc. It's nice to respect the person you are with that much. I'm not preaching, but man... it just feels like a much healthier way to have a relationship.