PDA

View Full Version : Ladders Suck

CHEESE2009
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
So I did a gutter cleaning job, brought my 6 ft ladder thinking I'd be able to get up on the roof with it. Wrong.

I ended up bringing my 12 ft and still could barely get it to the top. I had to place it on the front steps, if it moved 4cm I'd have a bad day lol.

The ladder was so damn shaky I had to take some stones from her garden to support it.

Then I went up and did a sweet job with a small garden spade. I knew I'd have to get back down to get my blower, but luckily the mailman was there so I said, "Hey buddy, wanna pass me that machine there?" and he did... So I completed the job on the roof & had to get down without breaking my blower or back. I got down decently but I learned a lesson.

Tie your equipment to some rope, to bring it up & to lower it down safely.

If your worker doesn't decide that he's too sick to hold a ladder for a few minutes, make sure he gets there so you don't die.

Also make sure you explain to your workers that a negative attitude isn't acceptable & will not be tolerated while in front of customers.

My $10.00/hr worker decided to open his/her mouth towards me yesterday as we went out to advertise. Someone got fired.

Steve
04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Ladders are amazingly dangerous. I had a friend who fell off the first rung of a ladder and broke his ankle! That's less than 1 ft off the ground!

Little's
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I hate ladders. But give me an big tree, and I'll climb all day.
I bought a 24' Extension ladder from Lowes last year. It has been one of the best investments in my arsenal of equip. It is real sturdy, and has adjustable legs in case your ground is uneven.
Cost me about $250, but paid for itself many times over. I can reach a second story roof, and closed it is the same length as my trailer, so I made some hangers on the side of my trailer and using a cable lock, locked it on, so I have it whenever I need.

swstout
04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I bought a 24' Extension ladder from Lowes last year. It has been one of the best investments in my arsenal of equip. It is real sturdy, and has adjustable legs in case your ground is uneven.
Cost me about $250, but paid for itself many times over. I can reach a second story roof, and closed it is the same length as my trailer, so I made some hangers on the side of my trailer and using a cable lock, locked it on, so I have it whenever I need.

I bought an extension add on that attaches to 2 rungs of the ladder that is padded and pushes the ladder out enough to go over the gutters without dammage to them or the house. It's stable and easy to set up. I bought it at a roofing supply house for about $25.00.

Steve

CHEESE2009
04-29-2009, 04:45 PM
I just did a flyer run, handed out about 800 today.

I was in some weird area, these houses were like mansions & I have no clue how I'd get on the roof with even a 32 ft ladder...

I peeked in the back and there was nothing that would aid me if I was in a situation to do their gutters.

What happens when you can't use a ladder? Or do they sell them above 32 feet?

I don't think id be too interested in climbing that high, lol, and I'm not renting a lift.

CHEESE2009
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM

Adjustable legs you say? I NEED THAT!
haha!

SuperiorPower
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't think id be too interested in climbing that high, lol, and I'm not renting a lift.

Why not? I think you gotta be willing to do what it takes. If it is expensive to do, pass the cost along. If you have to rent a lift, pass it along. If you have to hire an employee to do it, pass it along. That may be what gets you the lawn job. Perhaps even the big dogs don't want to do their gutters. If you are the only one who will do it you may open a pandora's box of good business with good (and wealthy) customers. What do you think?

Eli

CHEESE2009
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Why not? I think you gotta be willing to do what it takes. If it is expensive to do, pass the cost along. If you have to rent a lift, pass it along. If you have to hire an employee to do it, pass it along. That may be what gets you the lawn job. Perhaps even the big dogs don't want to do their gutters. If you are the only one who will do it you may open a pandora's box of good business with good (and wealthy) customers. What do you think?

Eli

You are absolutely correct. I just need a better truck. My dodge with an 8ft bed is going for repairs, so I'm stuck using Mom's Chevy Avalanche (awesome) but it can't fit a ladder of that size lol, can't afford a ticket. I also use a leased Ford, but It's too upgraded to be a work truck & I would seriously mess that baby up on a good days work.

I need the dodge :(

Or I could just spend some beans on a new ladder that folds.... Though, I find folding ladders to be very shaky, & I usually do small jobs alone while my other guys all work together being tards on other projects. I guess I could take one along with me on some days to hold the ladder. I don't pay myself for doing gutter cleaning, but my workers make $10.00/hr and I charge $35.00+ for gutters.... Hmmm... I will have to get a jet pack, that's what I need.