PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me?

swstout
04-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I ran into this this afternoon in my back yard!

http://www.swstout.com/I need my lawn mowed.jpg :eek:

About 7 feet long. Any want to help?

Steve

picframer
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I ran into this this afternoon in my back yard!

http://www.swstout.com/I need my lawn mowed.jpg :eek:

About 7 feet long. Any want to help?

Steve

I would honestly freak out, what do you do when this happens to get rid of it?

swstout
04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I would honestly freak out, what do you do when this happens to get rid of it?

I just let it be. He will go back to the water when he gets too hot.

My neighbor said, "Hey, you can feed them by hand - All the way to the elbow"!

I've mowed enough lawn this week anyway.

Steve

Steve
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
It must be something to live around alligators like that. I am guessing you can't let any kids or pets in your backyard?

I don't know how to deal with them.

swstout
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
It must be something to live around alligators like that. I am guessing you can't let any kids or pets in your backyard?

This is the first one I've seen since I moved in a year and a half ago. My property ends at the lake. They call it a lake, but i feel it is more of a swamp. It is about 500 feet from my house and gators usually don't get that far from water (or so I'm told).

My youngest kid is 26. My dog is 17 and goes out only for business or when I am out there. He has become a lazy house fixture. If he were human, he would be 109.

I have most of the back yard fences in and should finish it next month (depending on time and the boss' disposition). 39 years in September!

Steve

majoe7
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM

My neighbor said, "Hey, you can feed them by hand - All the way to the elbow"!

Nice size Gator. But I don't think I would feed it. :eek: Here in Florida it is a misdemeanor to feed Gators if you are caught. It takes away their sense of thinking for survival. The Florida Fish and Wildlife will relocate them if they are nearby a place where the can cause a disturbance or set in fear. At that size, if they attack animals or cause destruction they will shoot it and not relocate it. We have Gator hunts to control the population.

With the dry season and drought were having they tend to seek sources of water and food and move inward towards population.

Steve, finish that fence up and keep a good look out next time you are down near the swamp. BTW, my college football team the Florida Gators has a place in the stadium called "The Swamp" :)

John

Steve
04-26-2009, 11:02 PM
I always wondered about this. Why don't they have some kind of gator hunt to keep them from getting a certain size where they are really a problem? Or is this what they do?

musician/lawnman
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Stout,

It's mating season for them right now, They are on the move. They travel over land looking for new water (new mates), that's why he's further from water than usual. They are all over down here man, I mow around a lake & use that wright Centar because it's better on slopes. LAst summer I had 2 of lookin at me from in the middle of the lake. I kept thinkin..... "They are lookin' at my *** hangin off the back of this machine like I look at a cheeseburger around lunchtime". An creepy feeling for sure. They can run fast as hell too man. 30+ mph in short burst. Your only chance is zig zagging. They don't turn very well on land. So atop a ZT would be a good thing if your trying to get away! Tractor mower.... not so much!

CHEESE2009
05-04-2009, 09:32 PM
My man, that is one serious gator. If you run it over with your mower, you could either:

a) make & sell boots/purses
b) see if it's a good fertilizer
c) probably get your arm bitten off

Sometimes dogs scare the poop outta me when they bark & come out of nowhere, but that's no match for the silent & deadly gator. Mulch it.