PDA

View Full Version : Our Own Property

picframer
04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I was having coffee on Friday at the local coffee shop with the competition, we were kind of laughing in that the going joke is the last yard to look nice is our own, My comment was isn't that the truth as I reflected on the work I have yet to do.

The kids have been after me to start landscaping our own yard while getting paid to do it for others so the first order is rocks and boy do we have a lot of them. This is what the 2520 will do with a hoe, this is probably right up there and may be the biggest I have lifted out, how much does it weigh? Let me put it this way, I filled the loader bucket with crusher run, probably 900 pounds, ran the RPM up as I knew I would need the power and probably 3 min later it was out, it lifted the bucket clear of the ground twice.

Then I swung around to push it over a hill, I started to lift it with the bucket however even with the backhoe on it started to lift the back of the tractor off the ground so I just pushed it over the hill, it would go a few thousand I am sure. I did this late yesterday, beautiful day here, 30 done, multiples of that to go.

Steve
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
WOW! That is a huge rock!

When you are using hydraulic equipment like that and are putting it under a heavy load, how do you know when it will fail? Is that a concern?

picframer
04-26-2009, 07:50 PM
WOW! That is a huge rock!

When you are using hydraulic equipment like that and are putting it under a heavy load, how do you know when it will fail? Is that a concern?

No, the tractor plays with this stuff and is built with this kind of work, it has a 7 year waranty, I have never on the tractor forums herd of a John Deere Company tractor failing yet and I have been on there three years and there are a few hundred users.

There is no real strain per say, if you try to do something beyond what it is able to do, it simply will not do it, no risk at all of bending anything.

Steve
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
There is no real strain per say, if you try to do something beyond what it is able to do, it simply will not do it, no risk at all of bending anything.

Can it sense at all how much force it is exerting and then limit it to a pre-defined limit or something?

picframer
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Can it sense at all how much force it is exerting and then limit it to a pre-defined limit or something?

There is only so much pressure available, I believe around 2,600 psi, it can lift a little over 5,000 pounds then that is it, I haven't max'd it out yet lifting so I am not sure what it does, I have two smaller units, not much in size but neither would lift a rock this big. When they hit their max lift there is a squeel in the hydro.

majoe7
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
we were kind of laughing in that the going joke is the last yard to look nice is our own, My comment was isn't that the truth as I reflected on the work I have yet to do.

Andy,

How true is that statement. Funny your kids said that to you. Today while I was checking and running out my sprinkler system, my oldest son says to me, “Dad you make everyone’s yard and landscape look so nice, what happened here? Then he says, "You take me on the trips to show me your finished jobs and they look great, time to start here first on your next time out". I was rolling on the ground laughing with him while getting wet from the sprinklers. :rolleyes:

It’s funny how we tend to look at our homes last. My yard is well kept and I just haven't found time to do some flowering or mulch yet. I guess Monday will be a good time to start this job and finish it up before the kids get home from school.

Does anyone know how much I should charge this home owner for the neglect? :eek: LOL

John

Steve
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
It reminds me of the old saying.

"The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot"

picframer
04-27-2009, 03:28 AM
John,

I think the homeowner desirves a free one this time around.

My yard is well kept also, I never did put mulch around the trees , I put four small flower gardens in last year. Main reason it's hard keeping up with four+ acres and I didn't want to do too much that would require a lot of maintenance.

At the same time the kids are right, I can afford a couple of evenings a week and I generally take Sunday afternoon's off so if it isn't raining I will be digging rocks, expaning an area where we cut wood to store attachments and overseeding.

Anyhow it's all good and they have already made a comment on how much better it looks, guess I am hired, pay is poor at this site also:)

Andy

CHEESE2009
05-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Hahaha! I love it, it's true.

Sometimes I take care of the house, but it's always last on my list of things to do, & man do I do them slowely!

If I'm working on my place I would have a case of beer & a few friends over to keep me company. It's the best. lol