PDA

View Full Version : Rolling a Lawn

picframer
04-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Do you guys roll lawns? If so do you drain after each customer? I have a 48" pull unit but omg it would be desperate hard to load that thing in or on one of the trailers, the draw bar is pretty short so backing up is a challange.

If you use a manual unit, what size?

Andy

swstout
04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Do you guys roll lawns? If so do you drain after each customer? I have a 48" pull unit but omg it would be desperate hard to load that thing in or on one of the trailers, the draw bar is pretty short so backing up is a challange.

If you use a manual unit, what size?

Andy

I have a 42" tow behind vinyl roller that you fill with water. Empty, it weighs about 75 pounds. The bar is short and yes, it is a challenge. I picked it up at a 'going out of business sale' for $45.00.

Steve

justin_time
04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a 48 inch roller plastic (Polyethylene)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/roller.jpg

I usually bring it with me empty and uses the customer hose and fill it up and empty it when I'm done.

I usually charge a bit more than grass cutting

picframer
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I have a 42" tow behind vinyl roller that you fill with water. Empty, it weighs about 75 pounds. The bar is short and yes, it is a challenge. I picked it up at a 'going out of business sale' for $45.00.

Steve

Steve, do you empty it after every job and transport it? I would guess I am pushing 400 pounds plus with the one I have when full, probably more, made by John Deere....not that it matters in a roller, I like the rounded poly corners as it doesn't mark the lawn turning.

picframer
04-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I have a 48 inch roller plastic (Polyethylene)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/roller.jpg

I usually bring it with me empty and uses the customer hose and fill it up and empty it when I'm done.

I usually charge a bit more than grass cutting

That is what I was thinking of doing, have you ever had a customer get upset from the waste of water? We start rolling tomorrow and I had never given transportation any thought, then I was worried clients on wells (majority) would be upset with us wasting so much water

justin_time
04-26-2009, 04:38 PM
That is what I was thinking of doing, have you ever had a customer get upset from the waste of water? We start rolling tomorrow and I had never given transportation any thought, then I was worried clients on wells (majority) would be upset with us wasting so much water

I usually remove the plug and run over the lawn to water it a bit haha.. then at the end i just let it sit at the bottom so it empties out until i can carry it back on my trailer

Steve
04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
What does the lawn roller do?

picframer
04-26-2009, 08:47 PM

In the spring it is a very good idea to do as it will flatten out the lawn, also required for new top soil or sod prior to seeding or laying sod.

swstout
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM

I am toto tilling the whole lawn. The roller flattens and levels the lawn. Also, After seeding, it sort of sets the seed so it won't blow or wash away as easily.

Steve

Steve
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
In the spring it is a very good idea to do as it will flatten out the lawn,

How does it benefit the grass to flatten it in the spring?

swstout
04-26-2009, 08:58 PM
How does it benefit the grass to flatten it in the spring?

I don't think there is much differance between folling the lawn or stripeing the lawn. Grass growth in the spring is more robust and a flat lawn has mush less scalping of the grass.

Steve

Steve
04-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Ah ok.

Do you ever market this service? If so, should it be marketed in early Spring or other times too?

Also how do these big rollers you fill with water differ from a striping kit that has chains dragging on the lawn from behind a mower?

swstout
04-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Ah ok.

Do you ever market this service? If so, should it be marketed in early Spring or other times too?

Also how do these big rollers you fill with water differ from a striping kit that has chains dragging on the lawn from behind a mower?

As a matter of fact, I never even thought about marketing this service until I read your post! Things like this is why I like this forum so much. It both relays information and entices creative thought.

Something that is obvious to a 60 year old homeowner isn't grasped by a first time or young homeowner. How to flattenout a lown to ease lawn scalping is so second nature to me that marketing the service was never even thought of. Thanks to you, I have a new service to offer.

Afterthought - possibly core aeration the high spot and then flooding it would really aid the flattening process. Something to experiment with.

Steve

Steve
04-27-2009, 01:04 AM
I am happy to help.

So if you were to promote lawn rolling, what other services would you want to promote along with it ?

picframer
04-27-2009, 04:32 AM
I am happy to help.

So if you were to promote lawn rolling, what other services would you want to promote along with it ?

Yes we do market it, I had just assumed everyone did it as it's common practise where I live. It's been too wet to roll however things have dried out and we have quite a few lawns to do.

Over the winter the frost will heave the ground, a roller will settle things back down, not 100% but close, then you fill any valley type areas in the lawn with top soil and depending on how big it is seed or lay top soil.

Andy

picframer
04-27-2009, 04:37 AM
I am happy to help.

While you are on site its a good time to inspect the lawn with the owner after you are finished, quote top soil, sod, seeding and or over seeding and spraying, as mentioned the sod, top soil and over seeding are for any valley areas we could no roll out and while the roller is on site it makes sense to get it done.

So the plan is to have a second crew with a trailer, top soil and seed ready to go, one crew would roll the lawn, inspect and inform the owner or do a walk around with them, quote repairs, second crew does repairs, first crew rolls new spots and heads to next site. This process may take some work as it seems like an expensive process however I am not sure how else to do it as the first crew can only pull one trailer which is for the tractor and roller.

I have to pick up a small hand push roller today for smaller yards. This dumping of water after we are finished at each site is not going to go go over well, once again I don't see that we have a choice.